Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the old republic not old enough?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Is the old republic not old enough?

Joewrey
05.21.2013 , 05:38 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
1914-1918
99 years ago since the start then to be exact

But anyway, I think the story of Revan is pretty much over. He was a good guy, turned evil, became good again, was locked away for 300 years, presumed dead, returned and then got killed. For him to come back -again- would be a little overkill in my opinion. End the story during it's prime time, instead of finding new ways to continue the story of Revan and eventually make him a boring man who keeps coming back.
You are like a random star, I am like the sun. You can shine all you want, when I rise, you disappear.

EnzoForMe
05.21.2013 , 01:29 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by coolmccoolson View Post
To me this game feels way more like new star wars than KOTOR. Its been years since Ive played KOTOR but I dont remember any of this stuff about separatists and troopers that look exactly like clone troopers. There were mandolorians, regular soldiers, and sith. I find it hard to swallow that the republic held onto that trooper design for 3000 years, and I keep seeing a lot of technology and designs that I would not expect to exist yet. I liked KOTOR because it was a completely different look on the Star Wars universe, but this game is feeling like it was set not long before Phantom Menace.
There were also echani and zalbrak. (Gotta love that scene in the Manaan bar)
Caprica<Hakuna Matata> <LD50>

EnzoForMe
05.21.2013 , 01:33 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Jemfisto View Post
Well this does take place 300 years after KOTOR. Have you read the Revan novel? Because the JK story is heavily tied in and basically IS kotor3.
That's just an insult to the incredibly high calibre of writing in kotor compared to Mary Sue with a chip on her shoulder in this game.

I've played the knight story, and it's no kotor 3.
Caprica<Hakuna Matata> <LD50>

cool-dude
05.21.2013 , 05:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
1914-1918
I couldn't remember exactly.
"Sarcasm is strong in this one"

Euphrosyne
05.21.2013 , 05:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Joewrey View Post
99 years ago since the start then to be exact

But anyway, I think the story of Revan is pretty much over. He was a good guy, turned evil, became good again, was locked away for 300 years, presumed dead, returned and then got killed. For him to come back -again- would be a little overkill in my opinion. End the story during it's prime time, instead of finding new ways to continue the story of Revan and eventually make him a boring man who keeps coming back.
This is why I was disappointed that Revan was still alive. Apart from utterly destroying any claim the Republic and the Jedi might have had to being the 'good guys' in the war, the Foundry FP seemed like kind of a weak way out. Yeah, it gave the Revan story a little bit of closure - you know, assuming you don't think that he's still alive (and considers the whole thing to be a triumph and a huge success).

But that closure meant turning Revan from a galaxy-saving redeemed hero into a psychopathic loon who couldn't stop flirting with the dark side until the Emperor finally dragged him under. Before, he was a good guy who fell for what seemed like decent reasons, but was saved. After the Foundry, it's hard to see him as ever having been committed to the light at all. His later actions color those from before. He ends up looking like just a loose cannon that the Council periodically got desperate enough to turn on their enemies, just to keep their own hands from getting dirty. There was some moral ambiguity in the Revanchists' war with the Mandalorians: is it right to fight a war to save people, or not? But there's zero moral ambiguity whatsoever in attempting total genocide.

At least the Exile didn't get tarred with the same brush. But she avoided that fate by going out like a punk in the novel. Oh well.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Jemfisto
05.22.2013 , 06:57 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by EnzoForMe View Post
That's just an insult to the incredibly high calibre of writing in kotor compared to Mary Sue with a chip on her shoulder in this game.

I didn't say it was as amazing as KOTOR, but it really is KOTOR 3 technically. I however, enjoyed the Knight story immensely and the reason it falls short of KOTOR is because it can't have the depth of a single player game.

AlexDougherty
05.22.2013 , 10:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by EnzoForMe View Post

Not an insult exactly, it's officially the unofficial position by EA about the class stories.

PS. yes I know it's an oxymoron, but it's the official oxymoron.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.