Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Increase Kolto Wave, Psych Aid's Healing and change Frontline Medic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Increase Kolto Wave, Psych Aid's Healing and change Frontline Medic

Pilgrim_Grey
05.16.2013 , 08:30 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post
Uggh, I was having so much trouble tonight. I hate the healing on a commando, really. Compared to my sage, it is not effective. I love her, but I'm going to level my sage up for end game because the commando just doesn't cut it. They need to do some major revamping of the commando heal system to make it inline with the others.
Why would they need a major revamp? Something that's only a little behind the other healers doesn't need a major revamp, it needs tweaks. I can get behind that, but I'm not going to go all doom and gloom, either. Commando healing is pretty decent and just needs a little tweaking, at worst.

ezrafetch
05.16.2013 , 11:11 PM | #12
I agree, Kolto Wave is only marginally useless, but it should stay. All trees have marginally useful/useless skills, and of those it's more useful, though, in some situations. I don't think Psych Aid's heal needs to be buffed. All cleanses operate this way, so there's no need to upset the balance.

Now...Frontline Medic is awful. Here's a possible fix.

Tier 6 - Keep Potent Medicine. Move Probe Medic DOWN into Tier 6, condense its effect into 2pts. Scrap Frontline Medic.
Tier 7 - Keep Kolto Wave. New ability, you could call it, say, Emergency Protocols: Increases the duration of Supercharge Cells by [0.5s/1s/1.5s]. In addition, Advanced Medical Probe has a [33%/66%/100%] chance to reduce the active cooldown of Bacta Infusion by [0.5s/1s/1.5s].

While a complete BI reset would be golden, having something in Tier 7 exclusively affect BI in Tier 8 violates design philosophy in that skills you take should at least immediately augment the abilities you have. So you have the Supercharge Cells buff to go alongside it. Given that the 2pc PvE set gives you 3s already on Supercharge, extending the duration by even farther via this ability would just be overpowered.

Bear with me while you think the AMP reducing the active cooldown on Bacta Infusion by only that much seems bad. Consider two things:
1. If you're going Supercharged, AMP has no cooldown. Not that you'd really want to spam AMP, but you can easily use AMP 2-3x in the Supercharged window (especially thanks to the other component of Emergency Protocols and get 3-4.5s knocked off your next BI, not to mention the cooldown ALREADY running down on your BI).
2. In non-Supercharged conditions, if you don't have the 4pc, you use AMP once every 9s. Thus, you reduce the active cooldown of BI by 3s every 18s. Effectively, you've already shaved off 3s of BI's CD off, so you have an 18s BI cooldown. Factor in the 4pc, this just gets really mildly absurd since AMP is once every 7.5s and BI has a cooldown of 18s (sans this ability). Basically, with this ability you'd get a BI every 15s. Emergency Protocols has the additional benefit of syncing up your rotation a lot more, without having asymmetric cooldowns.

This would bring Commandos wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy up to par with Sages and Scoundrels (just as an anecdote, only 5 of the top 50 healing parses on Torparse are by Commandos/Mercenaries, so they likely need some tuning upwards). I actually have no idea, there's a slight chance that this might actually constitute drastic over-tuning, and I don't know how you'd tune it downwards in its current state. You'd have to do something like "AMP reduces the active cooldown of BI by 1.5s. This cannot occur more than once every 15s," so that you can't reduce the BI cooldown by too much (15s prevents you from gaming AMP to maximize the CDR for BI). But either way you'd need the Supercharged buff so that you get something out of those 3pts that's not tied to BI.
GWARRR of SWTOR-Mechanics

SpaniardInfinity
05.17.2013 , 12:06 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ezrafetch View Post
I agree, Kolto Wave is only marginally useless, but it should stay. All trees have marginally useful/useless skills, and of those it's more useful, though, in some situations. I don't think Psych Aid's heal needs to be buffed. All cleanses operate this way, so there's no need to upset the balance.

Now...Frontline Medic is awful. Here's a possible fix.

Tier 6 - Keep Potent Medicine. Move Probe Medic DOWN into Tier 6, condense its effect into 2pts. Scrap Frontline Medic.
Tier 7 - Keep Kolto Wave. New ability, you could call it, say, Emergency Protocols: Increases the duration of Supercharge Cells by [0.5s/1s/1.5s]. In addition, Advanced Medical Probe has a [33%/66%/100%] chance to reduce the active cooldown of Bacta Infusion by [0.5s/1s/1.5s].

While a complete BI reset would be golden, having something in Tier 7 exclusively affect BI in Tier 8 violates design philosophy in that skills you take should at least immediately augment the abilities you have. So you have the Supercharge Cells buff to go alongside it. Given that the 2pc PvE set gives you 3s already on Supercharge, extending the duration by even farther via this ability would just be overpowered.
Definitely an interesting concept, I like it. I'm not so sure if the buff needs to be to Supercharged Cells, though. There are other things which could be buffed such as "the effects of Charged Barrier and Kolto Residue are increased by 1%/2%/3%". Or it could increase the duration of Kolto Pods by .5s/1s/1.5s. The change could also be as simple as "Supercharged Cells has a 33.3%/66.7%/100% chance of generating 8 additional ammo when activated".
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

ezrafetch
05.20.2013 , 09:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
Definitely an interesting concept, I like it. I'm not so sure if the buff needs to be to Supercharged Cells, though. There are other things which could be buffed such as "the effects of Charged Barrier and Kolto Residue are increased by 1%/2%/3%". Or it could increase the duration of Kolto Pods by .5s/1s/1.5s. The change could also be as simple as "Supercharged Cells has a 33.3%/66.7%/100% chance of generating 8 additional ammo when activated".
Good point. I prefer the last one over the duration increase I first suggested, since it reverses the silly nerf that SCC suffered way back in the day.
GWARRR of SWTOR-Mechanics