Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Rough Commando Healing Guide

Kaos_KidSWTOR
05.18.2013 , 08:36 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
Hmmm
Was hopping for some feedback, oh well. Hope this helped someone.
Dude you went way too indepth on a "rotation" for this. as a healer merc thats 53 at the moment i dont use a rotation

I use a simple priority list (this is in Commando terms since this IS the commando forums)

1. AMP > MP
2. KB
3. SSC
4. HS
5. TP
6. BI (unless in big trouble)
7. (new aoe heal that i cant remember name)
8. Cure (it does heal for 8 ammo!)

haksilence
05.20.2013 , 03:58 AM | #12
Commando healing can never be explained with a priority. It is far to complicated. Just from looking over your priority I see a great number of incorrect statements that would gimp your actual healing.
I never thought Id have someone come in here and say the guide was "too detailed" lol.
10/10 NiM Dread Ops
Archon Jaberse, Captain Morgan Spice'rum, Gatecrasher Kithide Ameranthine
<Aisthesis> and <Postmortem>
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
Mr. Captain Morgan Roll/Rummaster ^^

Whojoo
05.21.2013 , 01:01 AM | #13
Great post, very helpfull I noticed that the reduced suffering from pushback is especially helpfull in early levels. Alot of tanks who forget to get all mobs :P
+ some boss fights with random stuff.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

WooduckAUS
05.21.2013 , 11:42 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
TP is the most cost effective heal in the game currently and should always be placed on the tank. If you know your tank has an agro problem or does not front load his threat, then you may want to pause before placing TP on him. I would not reccomend blowing your agro drop at the beginning of the fight. I prefer to save it for when adds are present or soon to be present
Nice guide Hak. Love my commando heal, most underrated healer out there for no reason other than L2P. I laugh at people who i hear comment that commando heals are any less viable then the other healers. Its the person behind the keyboard that dictates the effectiveness of any healer of any class.

Had saying that, just a note on trauma probe. I agree with everything you've said and when running with a tank that i know is competent and active in holding aggro on groups of adds, i'm happy to put trauma probe on him before a fight. Had saying that, those tanks are few and far between, so generally what happens is that the healer ends up with the bulk of the aggro because of the TP.

My personal playstyle and what i find effective is placing TP on myself before trash pulls because you drawing aggro 90% of the time is unavoidable due to ineffective tanks. Gives you a buffer for when this happens and gives the tanks a bit of extra time to pull them back off you before you're in trouble.

For boss pulls though, apply to the tank for everything already stated.

Not telling anyone how to play, just what i find is effective.

Alzor
05.24.2013 , 11:52 AM | #15
I'd be interested in warzone tips on how to deal with melee dps, when your teammates don't peel for you (because this is usually the case). I'm known on my server for being a healer. That's not a big deal on my scoundrel or sage, who can run/LOS. But when I get 2 warriors (or 2 assassins) on me, and all they do is interrupt, and stun me I can get a bit frustrated. And in those moments I often think, if only I were on my scoundrel/sage.

So any tactical advice? Because reactive shield and hold the line cool downs aren't fast enough with two good melee players on me.

WooduckAUS
05.24.2013 , 01:32 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
So any tactical advice? Because reactive shield and hold the line cool downs aren't fast enough with two good melee players on me.
Sorry no tactical advice, at this stage you're pretty much pooched......

Because we are not sages or scoundrels, i like to stand in the middle of the action and heal with my boys in the centre. So if i do get jumped, i move to where everyone can see me and hope and pray for help. No point running as a commando imo, we don't have the tools. Heal through it and hope for help.

If played right, you can still put up comparable numbers with other healers, you may die more, but you spend your time alive healing and not running.

Afieri
05.24.2013 , 03:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
Dude you went way too indepth on a "rotation" for this. as a healer merc thats 53 at the moment i dont use a rotation

I use a simple priority list (this is in Commando terms since this IS the commando forums)

1. AMP > MP
2. KB
3. SSC
4. HS
5. TP
6. BI (unless in big trouble)
7. (new aoe heal that i cant remember name)
8. Cure (it does heal for 8 ammo!)
As Hak stated, this list has a few issues that don't synergise well the Commando's role and playstyle along with just not providing the highest effective HPS. Read Hak's guide and it explains the issues with the priority list above.

Great guide Hak , I especially like your how your Kithide healing style is named after yourself, very rock starrish . Only one or two small things I noticed, firstly, any reason why you don't show this build as a "Tank healing build" or something like that. The reason why I like this build is because it takes a situational heal (Concussion charge which heals for a static amount + costs ammo) and turns it into a DR buff for yourself (Permanently reduces incoming damage by a percentage + Free) along with an extra 35% protection against pushback, which is quite valuable in situations where you are taking raid wide damage such as the Lots of Missiles phase in Titan 6, or Black Obtuse Channel in Operator IX, but again, these talent points are situational. In fights where you can stack up for healing, the concussion charge heal will provide you with a nice quick heal.

Food for thought and all that

Quote: Originally Posted by Alzor View Post
I'd be interested in warzone tips on how to deal with melee dps, when your teammates don't peel for you (because this is usually the case). I'm known on my server for being a healer. That's not a big deal on my scoundrel or sage, who can run/LOS. But when I get 2 warriors (or 2 assassins) on me, and all they do is interrupt, and stun me I can get a bit frustrated. And in those moments I often think, if only I were on my scoundrel/sage.

The best thing you can do is change your build to a pvp build, something like this. It is also important to realise that as a commando, you will get focused, even though you have actually become a formidable enemy even in heal spec in 2.0. So plan accordingly, wherever you stand and start casting your heals should have 2 points of exit where you can employ some LoS and/or run to your team and hopefully your team will take pity on you and kill the people following you.

If you have a tank guarding you, TP goes on the tank, provided the tank is actively guarding you, not just putting a guard on you and wandering around, tapping people on the nose and leaping to anything that moves halfway across the map. If you dont have a tank guarding you, then TP goes on yourself. TP procs off any damage, including dots and can be lovely to kite people with, when your TP ticks harder than their dots.

Over the space of about 5-7s, a commando is the king of mobile burst healing if your cooldowns are up.
You have Bacta Infusion, Kolto Bomb, Concussion Charge (Save this for an opportune moment, dont waste just for a heal) and Tech Override + Medical Probe, which will quite happily heal you for the best part of about 12k (before crits) all while you are running around. So those are your heals that you can use to heal yourself while kiting your attackers. Your AMP is also ~1.3s cast time, so employing LoS might give you enough time to cast one of them.

Moving onwards to actually surviving (which is what you are after).

Starting with the melee classes, sentinels/guardians are the easiest to counter purely because of Electro Net. You can cast it on them as soon as you see them looking at you, and then move to safety. One thing to mention with this, you must move out of 10m range, because blade storm/force scream & dispatch/vicious throw(?) have a 10m range and do quite a bit of damage. If you have been leapt upon, its still not too bad, because of the powerful single target heals that you have. If one leaper leaps, you just take him with you, dont fire off concussion charge just yet, move him over to your teammates and keep healing. You can heal yourself and a few of your team mates for quite a while with only one dps attacking you even if they are a watchman/annihilation spec with the low cd interrupt and 0m leap. Just don't blow cooldowns until people are about to, or are in severe danger of dying. Your teammates will be your best chance of survival, so keep them alive. If you get beset upon by a leaper in the middle of nowhere and you are by yourself, then you have a plethora of choices to slow/stun the target, you can plasma grenade for a slow, concussion charge for a knockback + slow, kolto bomb for a slow, cryo grenade for a stun, concussive round for a longer stun. Preference is to use slows first, kolto bomb being the number one preference. As they leap and catch up, cleanse yourself, all leapers will apply physical effects to you, whether they are slows or dots and they can be cleansed, so do it. One leaper should not be able to hurt you enough that you are unable to heal yourself through their damage. If they do get the better of you, hold the line and leg it, once they leap again, stun, keep legging it.

2 leapers or more. Whether it be 2 leapers or 10 leapers, this is dire straits for you, mainly because they have 2 interrupts and 2 stuns, locking you for a total of 8 seconds if your cc breaker isnt up as well as interrupting every 2nd casted heal. Reactive shield straight up, this is a proactive defensive cooldown, it won't save you at 1%. Chances are they will stun you, because they know that when you have your shield up, you have 0 pushback and are uninterruptible, so they will have to burst through your health + heals + 25% DR, which is just far too much effort, so the first stun will be Awe (Not sure of Warrior counterpart) which lasts for 8 seconds and breaks on damage. Dont use your cc break on this, let the stun run out, they can't damage you without messing up their stuns, the next stun will be force stasis/choke, and that will run out the duration of your shield. This is where you pop your cc break as soon as your resolve bar hits full. CC break and Hold the line away from them, they will most likely both leap to you at once, so concussion charge once they leap and leg it. Should be able to get far enough away/LoS. If you dont have those abilities ready for use, then adrenaline rush in advance and hopefully it doesn't have to trigger. adrenaline rush combined with your heals will be plenty to deal with the incoming damage, but leaves you fairly exposed when it runs out so call out for help/run to team mates when you have enough health/ Bacta Infusion or Kolto Bomb is off CD.

Single assassin is the same as a single leaper. Most will run deception (Infiltration for a shadow) and will open with a couple of fairly big hits, followed by weaker set ups, (using shadow terminology here, the attack line will be roughly: force potency, shadow strike, shadow strike, project, clairvoyant strike (blackout), clairvoyant strike, project, sub 30% execute). What to take from that list is that every attack except project is white damage, this mitigated by your armour, which you have plenty of. The key issue here is that they need to be behind you to get Maul off. They will always get the first one off because they will pop out of stealth behind you, but after that, it comes down to how you react as to whether or not they get another maul off or they have to go shock. It takes a fairly ballsy assassin to go after a commando healer by themselves, so always check out the surroundings before you commit to just playing with this guy. Again, all situational but my preferred tactic is to concussion charge them in one direction, and you hold the line in another direction, leaving a kolto bomb behind you to snare them. if they catch up with force speed, then break out the stun. If they are still following you, then electro net them. If that's on CD, then just stand still and heal yourself while calling for help. Assassins just don't have the firepower to take you down by themselves. They have 2 stuns, one is a 4 second stun, the other is a 2 second stun. Do not cc break on the 2 second stun ever. just ride it out. The 2 second stun is their positioning stun, so they are able to get behind you. when you see it happen, get ready to turn around to face them, you have 2 seconds to watch where they are going, so use them well. their interrupt is on a 10s cooldown, so essentially they will get one out of every 4 casted abilities or so. Nothing to worry about, just drag him over to your team.

2 assassins are able to burst you down. Same deal as 2 leapers, reactive shield straight up, but chances are they wont cast whirlwind (Their version of awe, but casted) just because it can be interrupted. So you will get stunned firstly for 4 seconds, all while they are bursting you, then again for 4 seconds, obviously on the second stun you cc break and then concussion charge + kolto bomb + hold the line and just leg it. If you see them pop up when you are on anything less than 80%, pop adrenaline rush pre-emptively. Then just call out for help or drag them to your team. One thing about assassins, when they glow, do not touch your stun. Not much you can do about that for 3s other than try to heal yourself.

Stuns are good for melee dps, but concussion charge + kolto bomb + hold the line is better because they are all abilities on very low cooldowns, are cheap and heal you all at the same time. Long post, I'm tired, any questions feel free to PM me
Warstalker Elai'a

Land rights for gay whales.

haksilence
05.25.2013 , 08:42 AM | #18
@Afieri
Thank you for your very helpful feedback and pleasant addition to this thread.
Its I believe that one of my specs is similar to the one you provided. I will look them over, I generally shy away from survivability things, they are better for PvP. In a PvE environment, assuming that you take 100k damage over a boss fight that 4 % extra DR saved you a whopping (sorry for sarcasm) 4k damage, which is easily much less than the over heal provided by KB or your off healers Salvation or slow release med pack.

Its simply not my preference. By in good faith I will add it to my list.
10/10 NiM Dread Ops

haksilence
05.25.2013 , 10:45 AM | #19
@Afieri
Thank you for your very helpful feedback and pleasant addition to this thread.
Its I believe that one of my specs is similar to the one you provided. I will look them over, I generally shy away from survivability things, they are better for PvP. In a PvE environment, assuming that you take 100k damage over a boss fight that 4 % extra DR saved you a whopping (sorry for sarcasm) 4k damage, which is easily much less than the over heal provided by KB or your off healers Salvation or slow release med pack.

Its simply not my preference. By in good faith I will add it to my list.
10/10 NiM Dread Ops

Alzor
05.25.2013 , 02:01 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Afieri View Post
The best thing you can do is change your build to a pvp build....... Long post, I'm tired, any questions feel free to PM me
Thanks for the tactics. Definitely food for thought.