Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

Vaerah
05.18.2013 , 07:25 AM | #61
I like to tank per se, but the other players demand things I don't like or don't know.

I am new-ish to the game (1 month old). They demand I have super gear, super stats, know all the tactics for all the bosses. They want a leader (I don't like to lead), they want a quick run. If I mark targets, sap targets etc. there's always the guy (usually sentinels) who wants the quick run ignoring them and just jumping in the thick of the mobs to "make it faster". There's most often a guy who will AoE and thus break all the saps / CC and then I have to painfully chase the mobs, which in turn chase a guy who runs all the way away from me.
Healers often are DPS spec and less than experienced at healing (the little healing they put out that is). Some times healers DPS and heal just when somebody (possibly the tank) is about to die.

Other times we get the bossy know-it-all who sprays orders and attitude all the time, including demanding runs to be done in a different way that I know (usually with less than brilliant results).

TheNahash
05.18.2013 , 12:12 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaerah View Post
I like to tank per se, but the other players demand things I don't like or don't know.

I am new-ish to the game (1 month old). They demand I have super gear, super stats, know all the tactics for all the bosses. They want a leader (I don't like to lead), they want a quick run.
Simple rule: don't let them get you down.
The (ugly) truth is that no matter what a DPS says, tanks are much more important and much harder to find than a DPS, so if a Tank just threatens to leave after being mistreated, the DPS will probably shut up if they are wrong. (and I'm saying this as a DPS)

The thing with Swtor is that you don't need any of these things for most of the content.
If you're tanking a HM FP and you don't know the tactics, ask and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised with people's willingness to help out. Whenever I'm doing a FP and someone says they're doing it for the first time, I always take a few minutes to explain tactics (if it's not just a tank and spank boss). If someone doesn't have a few minutes to spare that will help someone else, then maybe they shouldn't be doing a FP in the first place.

If I mark targets, sap targets etc. there's always the guy (usually sentinels) who wants the quick run ignoring them and just jumping in the thick of the mobs to "make it faster". There's most often a guy who will AoE and thus break all the saps / CC and then I have to painfully chase the mobs, which in turn chase a guy who runs all the way away from me.
Yes, there will always be people who break CCs. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about it apart from vote kicking them if they become too annoying.

Healers often are DPS spec and less than experienced at healing (the little healing they put out that is). Some times healers DPS and heal just when somebody (possibly the tank) is about to die.
Other times we get the bossy know-it-all who sprays orders and attitude all the time, including demanding runs to be done in a different way that I know (usually with less than brilliant results).[/QUOTE]

I never understood why healers are not respeccing for FPs. DPS all you want in any other case, but if you queue as a healer, please get your *** to the respec guy and go full Healing.

As for your last point, there are usually more than 1 ways to do a FP (e.g. the Sith/Jedi group in Mandalorian Raiders). It's the tank's job to decide what way it will be done, so ask them to wait and tell them how you wanna do it. However, sometimes there might be an easier way for everyone (or just the healer) so if someone suggests something different, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Give it a try and it might actually be a better way than the one you knew.

AdmiralOnasi
05.20.2013 , 01:22 AM | #63
Tanking in this game can be extremely frustrating at times due to brain dead DPS. Most of the healers are ok, and people who can't heal and refuse to learn wash out and go back to DPSing after too long. You still get a few knuckleheads who are spec'd DPS and try to off heal through a hard mode, but I've found a lot of them get enough justified abuse to kill that practice before too long. I'd say about 80% of group finder DPS is absolutely awful, and IMO a lot of the problem stems from being hugely overgeared for the content for months. I run almost exclusively with my roommate who is a commando healer, and he is pretty darn good at his job. It's EXTREMELY common for DPS to leap into a room and pull all the mobs. We've gotten to the point where people who do that don't get healed, expensive repair bills seem to be the only way to get through to some people.

I'm also pretty tired of DPS not using proper kill order and unnecessarily making my job and the healer's job difficult. You can tell pretty easily who has played a tank or healer and who has only ever DPSed when you're in a flashpoint. People who have only ever DPSed will often tunnel vision the elite and strongs because that's who I'm tanking. They don't understand that when the four trash mobs are smacking the healer around, that that's time you won't get healed, and I can't grab them all because all seven guys in this room put too much damage on one target for a healer to power through in a 60 second pull. I would think that most DPSers would relish the thought of killing weak mobs because you get the trill of finishing off several bad guys per encounter. I know I do when I play my Sentinel.

MeisterBabylon
05.20.2013 , 01:40 AM | #64
I'd like to think myself a natural tanker having gravitated to that role since the pen & paper days and by now have an impressive resume of rolling endgame main tanks across 8 mmorpgs. But I swear, half the joy (and the rest, frustration!) of a Jedi shadow tank is my HP just pingponging when getting focused fired on. Other tanks usually feel beefier the more gear I get; but this one never stops feeling like I'm in the middle of an epic struggle to stay alive.

But I must say, it does feel exhilarating. And there is something really fun about being a stealth tank doing stealth ops with stealth heals and dps.

It would be nice to be able to be anything though. My favorite class in that other panda mmo was the druid. With a 2ndary spec, I could be anything the group needed. Too bad there are no such thing as tank/dps/heal ACs.
"I feel your anger, Master."
"A BLIND, DEAF, COMATOSE LOBOTOMY PATIENT COULD FEEL MY ANGER!!"
"...Okay, I'm officially scared."

Laiov
05.22.2013 , 07:59 AM | #65
I don't play tanks for two reasons:

1. I find avoiding damage a more satisfying accomplishment than surviving damage. Which means I prefer ranged classes over melee classes in general.

2. In MMO groups, tanks are commonly expected to lead. I don't particularly enjoy leading groups of random people. These groups are something I'm more inclined to "tolerate" than to "steward".

The first reason is something I regularly suspend in games at least once, since melee differs somewhat from game to game. The second reason, however, is something I've found to be pretty consistent. So I usually end up with max level, endgame ranged characters, and one or two mid-level melee alts that I only play solo.
Main: 55 Sorcerer @ The Shadowlands
Origin: 50 Sniper @ Thana Vesh

LostInReverie
05.23.2013 , 11:02 AM | #66
What the above poster said is true for me as well, especially the second part. I don't like being the leader! I don't like having that responsibility. If I'm the tank and we wipe, I'm gonna feel like it's my fault, even if it isn't, and I hate that feeling. Also, tanking can be very stressful. Some people are meant to be tanks. They are cut out for it. I'm just not. Also, I just love the damage dealing role, because I love killing things. lol. That said, I do have two high level tanks: a Vanguard and a Guardian. They are both sitting at 50 right now. They were fun to level because of the extra survivability, but I'm too chicken to use them in group content, because what if I mess up?
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
Melusine - Shadow / Xephřr - Vanguard / Aedhan - Gunslinger / Parthalan - Guardian
Ilaria - Marauder / Arriston - Sniper / Cordula - Mercenary / Drus´lla - Sorcerer

AdmiralOnasi
05.23.2013 , 11:17 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by LostInReverie View Post
What the above poster said is true for me as well, especially the second part. I don't like being the leader! I don't like having that responsibility. If I'm the tank and we wipe, I'm gonna feel like it's my fault, even if it isn't, and I hate that feeling. Also, tanking can be very stressful. Some people are meant to be tanks. They are cut out for it. I'm just not. Also, I just love the damage dealing role, because I love killing things. lol. That said, I do have two high level tanks: a Vanguard and a Guardian. They are both sitting at 50 right now. They were fun to level because of the extra survivability, but I'm too chicken to use them in group content, because what if I mess up?
I felt the same way until I realized and really took to heart the fact that 90% of wipes are caused by DPS doing things they shouldn't.

Ottoattack
05.23.2013 , 01:47 PM | #68
I will respond with my experience during my first 3 toons.

My first was an immortal Jugg. Mobs took eternity to die.

My third was sentinel. Mobs will die in 2-3 attacks if they are lucky.

PvP as tank with bad team is super lame. At least as a dps you can do major damage, sometimes win the WZ by yourself (especially in lowbie).

Faolon
05.24.2013 , 06:15 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralOnasi View Post
I felt the same way until I realized and really took to heart the fact that 90% of wipes are caused by DPS doing things they shouldn't.

This is why I grow to hate tanking every time I try it.

People don't listen to directions, do stupid crap and then complain about the consequences... It's almost like they TRY to make it as horrible an experience as possible for everyone involved.

It's a vicious cycle for me. I play a tank, get pissed off at the stupidity of DPS, and swear off tanking for a while. I DPS and get annoyed by how bad the tank is and how they either ignore me or insult me when I give them advice. So I play a tank again. And the whole thing starts anew.

It's only recently that I've realized it wasn't just DPS or just bad tanks. These people have made me hate people in general.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."

Faolon
05.24.2013 , 08:54 AM | #70
I was just doing Mandalorian Raiders as a PT tank and I was reminded of another reason tanking isn't fun.

That *********** KNOCKBACK. Holy crap its annoying. It felt like I spent the whole instance being knocked around.
"I will show you things... wonderful, terrible things."