Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.0 Marksmanship Guide [PvE]

SamuelAU
05.17.2013 , 10:52 AM | #1
Hello friends!

I just made a thread covering the Gunslinger's sharpshooter skill tree, so if any of you snipers are interested: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=640261.

Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

Sardonyyx
05.17.2013 , 05:18 PM | #2
Do you really need a guide for such a simple spec? It's 3 moves, Ft after all of them, orbital, and then TD when they're 30%. Your dot and armor debuff are common sense moves.

SamuelAU
05.18.2013 , 02:45 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonyyx View Post
Do you really need a guide for such a simple spec? It's 3 moves, Ft after all of them, orbital, and then TD when they're 30%. Your dot and armor debuff are common sense moves.
You're thinking of the spec a little bit too simplistically. There's a difference between pumping out '3 moves' and keeping up debuffs and actually understanding the rotation and maximising your output. This separates the bad from the good and the good from the great.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

KristianTORFTW
05.18.2013 , 03:56 AM | #4
Thanks a lot. Ive been thinking about playing on my sniper again after almost a year, so i have completely forgotten his skills and rotations. This will be very helpful for starting up again

Roxas_kun
05.19.2013 , 08:33 AM | #5
Everything revolves around Followthrough (FT).

Shatter Shot> Snipe> FT> Ambush> FT> Series of Shots (SoS)> FT> Takedown> FT.

Rinse and repeat.

Everything else is just filler and icing on the cake.

Not very hard.

Felli
05.19.2013 , 08:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Roxas_kun View Post

Rinse and repeat.

Not very hard.
You missed a snipe there.

It should be Shatter Shot > Snipe > Snipe > FT > Ambush > FT > SoS > FT > Takedown > FT.

CoppertheBeagle
05.19.2013 , 10:57 AM | #7
What I meant to say was instead of vital shot I used sab charge. That 15% bonus to its damage I think makes it more worthwhile than vital shot. Vital shot however does proc the relics so I was wondering if you knew something I didn't.

SamuelAU
05.19.2013 , 10:57 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Roxas_kun View Post

Rinse and repeat.

Not very hard.
Not very hard?

Knowing the rotation is 2200 DPS.
Understanding the rotation is 2700 DPS.

Experience has taught me this, if you read the guide you might find a way or two to pick up your output slightly. Whether you do that or not, don't talk about how easy and mindless the rotation is when there are various factors that influence your output, separating good from great.

It also seems like snipers have a lot more negative feedback than gunslingers, my observations have told me.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

SamuelAU
05.19.2013 , 11:01 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CoppertheBeagle View Post
What I meant to say was instead of vital shot I used sab charge. That 15% bonus to its damage I think makes it more worthwhile than vital shot. Vital shot however does proc the relics so I was wondering if you knew something I didn't.
You're previous post was in the gunslinger forum but I follow.

If you forget about any buffs, non-crit 3-4 ticks of vital shot does the same damage of sabotage charge. I'm not sure how often DoTs tick, but if it's every GCD you'll get 20 ticks of vital shot for every sabotage charge. Then when you factor in +25% damage to vital shot being greater than +15% damage to sabotage charge the choice is much easier. The energy cost for vital shot is a lot lower as well.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

Synavix
05.19.2013 , 02:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CoppertheBeagle View Post
In general, cast-for-cast, Sab Charge will do slightly more damage if you have 3/3 Independent Anarchy. However, what makes Vital Shot so good is that it is Internal damage, and doesn't respect armor. It is also far more energy efficient, and will give you fewer problems in a general rotation.

I tend to use Vital Shot as a filler in my general rotation, while using Sab Charge on adds or burst phases. It's also great for any boss that use stealth or immunities, since Vital Shot becomes terrible DPS if it does not last its full duration.