Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gomerik's 2.0 Sharpshooter Guide [PvE]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Gomerik's 2.0 Sharpshooter Guide [PvE]

SamuelAU
05.17.2013 , 10:01 AM | #1
This guide has been updated. Please click this link to visit the consolidated and updated thread.

2.0 Sharpshooter Guide
Last updated 1st June 2013

Introduction

In game update 2.0, the Sharpshooter skill tree received a massive overhaul that greatly changed the way it played out, with the new rotation being much more static than the previous dynamic rotation. The improvement to Dirty Fighting and massive potential for Saboteur also saw many gunslingers move away from Sharpshooter to try something new.

There are definitely places that the Sharpshooter spec has advantages over Saboteur and Lethality, and these mainly come in the 'on-demand' damage which doesn't require any application of DoTs to set up, as well as its ability to rapidly change targets while experiencing a minimal loss to DPS output.

Up until 2.0 I was a Saboteur / Dirty Fighting hybrid gunslinger and had great success and fun running this spec. Come 2.0 the huge loss of DPS experienced when changing targets and adjusting to mechanics, especially in Terror From Beyond and Dread Master Styrak, made Sharpshooter the more appealing spec and I've had a steady improvement over the last few weeks, clearing all of the new content including HM Golden Fury with <The Ex-Hothian Ewok Enclave> on the Dalborra server.

I'm writing this guide so I can hopefully educate other gunslingers and give you some ideas on how to put out higher numbers, and also because I'm happy to put myself out there and receive constructive criticism which while, in turn, help me improve my own output.

Skill Tree and Gearing
Spoiler

Overview of Abilities
Spoiler

Basic Rotation
Spoiler

Detailed Rotation

WARNING: This section goes in to a lot of detail about the Sharpshooter skill tree and I will describe extensively your priorities, situational changes to your rotation and maxing out on DPS output.
Spoiler

Conclusion

If you made it this far, congratulations and thank you for reading my walls of text. Hopefully you learned something new and I've helped you figure out how to increase your DPS output, whether it be by 10 or 500. Feel free to ask questions and offer feedback and suggestions. This is by no means the definitive guide to Sharpshooter, it's just my interpretation of the skill tree and I've written about has worked for me and helped pull big numbers.
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

paowee
05.17.2013 , 11:33 AM | #2
Gunslinger - Sniper
TS: Trickshot - Followthrough
SS: Speed Shot - Series of Shots
XS: XS Freighter Flyby - Orbital Strike
CB: Charged Burst - Snipe
AS: Aimed Shot - Ambush
VS: Vital Shot - Corrosive Dart
FS: Flourish Shot - Shatter Shot
QD: Quickdraw - Takedown
BV: Burst Volley - Sniper Volley

Others:
Flurry of Bolts - Rifle Shot
Sabotage Charge - Explosive Probe
Smuggler's Luck - Laze Target
Illegal Mods - Target Acquired
Cool Head - Adrenaline Probe
Surrender - Countermeasures
Hunker Down - Entrench
Scrambling Field - Ballistic Shield
Defense Screen - Shield Probe
Hightail It - Covered Escape
Dodge - Evasion
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
05.17.2013 , 11:37 AM | #3
I will finish reading the rest of it later but for now I have a question on spec. What do you think of 3/3 Independent Anarchy with 2-pc PVP bonus? Also over at the Sniper forums some people have found that if they use the old battlemaster armorings, it will stack with the 2-pc pvp bonus from the conqueror/partisan gear. This is how it looks from a SS's pov:

3/3 Independent Anarchy +15% XS damage
2-pc battlemaster pvp bonus +1 tick of XS
2-pc partisan pvp bonus +1 tick of XS
Total of 5 ticks of XS

Also i've never thought of putting VS so high in the priority list. Will try it out when i get the time.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

CoppertheBeagle
05.17.2013 , 12:22 PM | #4
I am also not sure why to use vital shot? is that to keep the relics proced or does it actually do more damage? I personally thought it was a damage loss but i will give it a try again.

Overall though good guide!

greg_biochem
05.17.2013 , 03:37 PM | #5
As long as the PvP SA relics stack as they currently do, I would recommend this spec (for PvE) instead:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#70...kRrfkzzZkIZb.3

You want the self heal from "Cool Under Pressure" to proc/refresh the power surge from the SA relics. I would also recommend taking 3/3 from "Independent Anarchy" and using the 2 piece PvP set bonus to really boost XS Freighter Flyby's damage. You can also stack the PvP set bonus, giving 2 extra ticks by using 2 Conqueror/Partisan Armorings with either 2 War Hero or 2 Battlemaster armorings.

I agree that the ~1.5 sec break before Aimed Shot comes off CD is a good time to use Vital Shot, but I don't think it should be that high on the priority list. It's really more of a filler ability - if for example that 1.5 sec window wasn't there, it would not be wise to use VS instead of AS as your priority list would currently suggest. Therefore, if you have enough energy when you reach that 1.5 sec window, go ahead and use VS, otherwise just use Flurry of Bolts.

Finally, I could not find any mention of "Smuggler's Luck" in this guide. It's basically a free crit on CB since it doesn't respect the GCD.
Server: The Ebon Hawk
Red'october - Gunslinger

eventidephoenix
05.17.2013 , 08:36 PM | #6
woo thanks for this!

high time i stepped out of dirty fighting too lol

SamuelAU
05.17.2013 , 09:56 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
I will finish reading the rest of it later but for now I have a question on spec. What do you think of 3/3 Independent Anarchy with 2-pc PVP bonus? Also over at the Sniper forums some people have found that if they use the old battlemaster armorings, it will stack with the 2-pc pvp bonus from the conqueror/partisan gear. This is how it looks from a SS's pov:

3/3 Independent Anarchy +15% XS damage
2-pc battlemaster pvp bonus +1 tick of XS
2-pc partisan pvp bonus +1 tick of XS
Total of 5 ticks of XS

Also i've never thought of putting VS so high in the priority list. Will try it out when i get the time.
Taking Independent Anarchy and adding 2 ticks of flyby will definitely help your DPS more than the extra tick on VS. I'm not really in a position to stack both 2-pc bonuses since my war hero armorings are the +60 End +57 Cunning type so I'm going to lose a lot of main stat there.

Something I'll have to experiment with, thanks for the idea.
Quote: Originally Posted by CoppertheBeagle View Post
I am also not sure why to use vital shot? is that to keep the relics proced or does it actually do more damage? I personally thought it was a damage loss but i will give it a try again.

Overall though good guide!
Vital Shot is in no way a damage loss. It takes 1 GCD out of every 10 or so to apply and over the course of the fight hits for (in my case) about 250 DPS. Monumental increase from not using it to keeping it up as much as possible
Quote: Originally Posted by greg_biochem View Post
As long as the PvP SA relics stack as they currently do, I would recommend this spec (for PvE) instead:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#70...kRrfkzzZkIZb.3

You want the self heal from "Cool Under Pressure" to proc/refresh the power surge from the SA relics. I would also recommend taking 3/3 from "Independent Anarchy" and using the 2 piece PvP set bonus to really boost XS Freighter Flyby's damage. You can also stack the PvP set bonus, giving 2 extra ticks by using 2 Conqueror/Partisan Armorings with either 2 War Hero or 2 Battlemaster armorings.

I agree that the ~1.5 sec break before Aimed Shot comes off CD is a good time to use Vital Shot, but I don't think it should be that high on the priority list. It's really more of a filler ability - if for example that 1.5 sec window wasn't there, it would not be wise to use VS instead of AS as your priority list would currently suggest. Therefore, if you have enough energy when you reach that 1.5 sec window, go ahead and use VS, otherwise just use Flurry of Bolts.

Finally, I could not find any mention of "Smuggler's Luck" in this guide. It's basically a free crit on CB since it doesn't respect the GCD.
Yep, that's a better spec if you can stack the PvP armorings, something I should play around with. I'm stacking a SA assault and the power click relic at the moment but I can probably get my hands on a PvP SA relic to play with.

The 1.5s window isn't there after you have an XS window but I use VS anyway. The AS buff isn't going to fall off and imo flurry of bolts is a wasted GCD, especially if you prioritise that over your DoT application.

Yeah, I forgot to include Smuggler's Luck but I'll edit it in now. Use it every time it's available.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

ThomasCool
05.18.2013 , 08:43 PM | #8
Another suggestion,
I would pick up heads up instead of kneecapping. In PVE i feel like the faster run speed helps more than increasing leg shot's capabilities
just my 2c
T.

SamuelAU
05.19.2013 , 11:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ThomasCool View Post
Another suggestion,
I would pick up heads up instead of kneecapping. In PVE i feel like the faster run speed helps more than increasing leg shot's capabilities
just my 2c
T.
Sorry, I completely overlooked that. Kneecapping and Heads Up are also two interchangeable skill points, it won't make a difference to your output but it's more personal preference. Editing that in now, thanks for picking it up.
Gomerik // Lumbridge

CoppertheBeagle
05.19.2013 , 01:57 PM | #10
I posted over on the sniper forum but ill post here too. I use sab charge as a filler instead of vital shot due to the 15% bonus from my tree as I use the 2 2set pvp bonus. I do not know if this is better or worse as the vital shot will proc the relics more. I personally use the healing thing every 3 seconds for that instead but vital shot might be better. What do you guys think?