Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why did Jeff Hickman lie to subscribers about the future of the game?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dawginole
05.16.2013 , 05:30 PM | #1
Was it so we wouldn't bail for 6 months so you could continue to use subscription dollars to finance building up your cartel market and F2P system?

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Quote:
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to ALL game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.
That couldn't have been written any more clearly. All additions to the game, even after the implementation of F2P, would remain free to subscribers. This was written to subscribers to belay our fears in the transition. It was done so to maintain our trust. Your 2.1 update is in violation of this guarantee and you have violated the trust established between you and your subscribers when you decided to move to F2P.

p.s. Guess who met Eric Musco at the Dallas meet? This guy. And he didn't kill me. We had a good talk. Meetings are underway to figure out some ways to make sure subs are feeling the love. They really wanted to drive home that F2P is all about vanity and that you will never ever be able to "buy power" from the CM. And I was guaranteed that something like the ship parts fiasco will never happen again. I'm still bothered by the fact that the barber shop is an in game feature and not really used through the cartel market, but is rather an in game station that accepts Cartel Coins. But its implementation may have simply been easier that way that putting it directly in the CM.

The post did its job. We got their attention and renewed their drive to support subs and make sure power and content stays off the CM. I think we can all take a chill pill for a bit at this point.

Shingara
05.16.2013 , 05:31 PM | #2
A good question we shall never get an answer to, and now q the defenders, 3 2 1 go.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Icebergy
05.16.2013 , 05:32 PM | #3
6 months ago I told my mom I was planning on going to school to get an MBA. Now I changed my mind and don't think its worth the money. Does that make me a liar?
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 2/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

DesmoLegacy
05.16.2013 , 05:33 PM | #4
Because like all other bioware dev's/talking heads he is in over his head and doesn't know any better.

This is my first and last Bioware title, that company is garbage.
Ducatii - 50 Marauder | Ducatista - 50 Operative
Dain'ese - 50 Juggernaut | Ducatisti - 50 Sniper
D'ucati - 50 Sentinel | Duc'ati - 50 Sage | Enduro - 50 Vanguard

ryniloym
05.16.2013 , 05:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
6 months ago I told my mom I was planning on going to school to get an MBA. Now I changed my mind and don't think its worth the money. Does that make me a liar?
yes. According to the OP you should be crucified.

Merwanor
05.16.2013 , 05:34 PM | #6
This is nothing new, Bioware says things and then change it to the exact opposite. Like when they told fans that there would be no ABC ending for ME3.... Well most of us know how that turned out.
The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.

DesmoLegacy
05.16.2013 , 05:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
When you manage a professional business and open a direct communication channel to paying customers and lie it tends to destroy your credibility. Your comparison is garbage but I wouldn't expect some dweeb living on your mothers *** to know any better.
Ducatii - 50 Marauder | Ducatista - 50 Operative
Dain'ese - 50 Juggernaut | Ducatisti - 50 Sniper
D'ucati - 50 Sentinel | Duc'ati - 50 Sage | Enduro - 50 Vanguard

ryniloym
05.16.2013 , 05:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
Was it so we wouldn't bail for 6 months so you could continue to use subscription dollars to finance building up your cartel market and F2P system?

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

That couldn't have been written any more clearly. All additions to the game, even after the implementation of F2P, would remain free to subscribers. This was written to subscribers to belay our fears in the transition. It was done so to maintain our trust. Your 2.1 update is in violation of this guarantee and you have violated the trust established between you and your subscribers when you decided to move to F2P.
On another note, I like how you asked and answered your own question in the same post. It's almost as if you never intended to get an answer from Bioware but intentionally posted as that as a way to have a tantrum about life not being fair. oh....wait....

Darthflowmotion
05.16.2013 , 05:36 PM | #9
/sign /bump or something
no ty

Icebergy
05.16.2013 , 05:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DesmoLegacy View Post
When you manage a professional business and open a direct communication channel to paying customers and lie it tends to destroy your credibility. Your comparison is garbage but I wouldn't expect some dweeb living on your mothers *** to know any better.
So, you are just angry and now you are attacking me as well as Bioware, but you really have no argument to make because deep down you know you are wrong.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 2/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant