Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advice on Choice (considering Powertech)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Advice on Choice (considering Powertech)

PleaseRespond
12.20.2011 , 10:54 PM | #1
I'm currently playing as a Sith Marauder (at level 22 atm) but I've always been a fan of ranged classes and not sure I will enjoy playing it in the long run.

Been watching a few Powertech videos and they seem like they are a whole lot of fun (in pvp namely) - constantly mobile with some decent aoe as well as single target.

How is everyone playing one finding them? From watching lots of pvp/pve videos of different classes they seem like the way to go but would just like a bit of knowledge and experience from people who are familiar with them.

Thanks!

Morbidar
12.21.2011 , 09:05 AM | #2
To be perfectly honest with you .... it simply rocks. It fits my playstyle perfectly due to my PvP needs. The reasons are a few: (1) the Powertech Bounty Hunter has melee and range capabilities giving me choices and options to face many different types of foes. (2) the Pyrotech tree gives me survival options on melee types by giving me the ability to successfully kite using a couple of key talents in the tree by snaring them continuously. (3) I still get the death from above AOE and a Flamethrower to burn targets in tight quarters.

I'm only level 22 and so I have yet to unlock some of the higher tier talents but I will say I am thoroughly enjoying myself. Top in damage pretty much every time unless I'm camping a node. Consistently push 220k in damage in most fights and was doing this as early as level 10. It is a great class if you like to PvP and you like to have options to take down any opponent. Plus punching someone in the face is almost as fun as seeing a smuggler kick someone in the nads.
{▒▒▒▒‾▀‾▒▒]۪۩ ░░░░▒▒▒▓▓█▓▒░
▐╢█[_〙 └─◘┴
▐╢▌ ◄Blazar Blackthorne, Vanguard, Junga Ma►

badalchemist
12.21.2011 , 09:27 AM | #3
I'm loving it. High survivability + 3 interesting talent trees + awesome skill animations + fun storyline.

Blurps
12.21.2011 , 09:50 AM | #4
Do not be mistaken: The Power-Tech is an "in your face" class, not a long distance fighter ( that would be the Merc ).

You have to get close to the action both to use many of your potent damage abilities as well as to disrupt the enemy, which is pretty much your primary job if you're not just carrying the hutt ball.

EzFlyer
12.21.2011 , 02:27 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Blurps View Post
Do not be mistaken: The Power-Tech is an "in your face" class, not a long distance fighter ( that would be the Merc ).

You have to get close to the action both to use many of your potent damage abilities as well as to disrupt the enemy, which is pretty much your primary job if you're not just carrying the hutt ball.

bingo. i only have shieldtech points spent (lvl 26 atm) - i'm pretty limited at long range. short of unload, railshot, darts, and rockets/death from above, i feel helpless at long range.

i grapple guys to me aall the time, and if i get knocked back and/or can't grapple, i run right up there again to drop oilslicks and massive usage of rocket punches & flamethrowers.