Power or Strength Augments?

Lendish

As a Marauder, should I use Power or Strength Augments? I read on MMO-Mechanics in a Marauder 2.0 Thread you have to gain 3700 Strength from your Gear before you should use Power Augments.

Greetings from T3-M4 [Germany]

Illunè

<Revenge>

Lets of posts here arguing that some question. But the general rule of thumb, is that if you don't have a skill to train for main stats boost (which mara don't), then you are better served to use overkill augments instead of might augments.

Personally I go with Strength. Mainly because of being stubborn - Mainstat should be #1 stat.

According to askmrrobot, full Strength augmented vs full Power augmented will give these stats:

Full Strength augmented and 271 crit rating: 924.9 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Change

Full Power augmented and 328 crit rating: 923.7 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Chance

Full Power augmented and 271 crit rating: 937.4 bonus dmg, 23.26% Critical Chance

Full Strength augmented and 214 crit rating: 938.7 bonus dmg, 23.23% Critical Chance

Unless askmrrobot is wrong, it looks to me like Strength is superior with the gear availible atm. This is from characters with full BiS.

Edited by Amantino

Full Strength augmented and 271 crit rating: 924.9 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Change

Full Power augmented and 271 crit rating: 937.4 bonus dmg, 23.26% Critical Chance

Of the 4 sets you posted, this is the only useful comparison. 12.5 Bonus damage vs. 0.96% critical chance.

The rest of those are misleading since you have variable crit ratings and lower crit rating will give you more bonus damage thanks to increased power.

Of the 4 sets you posted, this is the only useful comparison. 12.5 Bonus damage vs. 0.96% critical chance.

The rest of those are misleading since you have variable crit ratings and lower crit rating will give you more bonus damage thanks to increased power.

These are the #'s I saw when switching from full set of power purple and strength purple. It was about 1% crit w/ strength and about 10+ bonus damage with power

For those of you asking about it and wanting to know.

Main stat augs increases in full 28 purples augments.

Class with no main stat boost only buffs(sorc/warrior) = 470 main stat

1.53% in crit chance

98.784 bonus damage

Class with 6% main stat boost and buff(sorc/warrior) = 497.28 main stat

1.61% in crit chance

104.428 bonus damage

Class with 9% main stat boost with buff(sorc/warrior) = 510.72 main stat

1.65% in crit chance

107.2512 bonus damage

Full 28 purple power augments with buffs

448 power = 108.192 bonus damage

All of these include the 5% buff from sorc buff for main stat and before you all say my bonus damage numbers are wrong i know str adds .2 bonus dam and power adds .23. The higher numbers are with the 5% added from warrior buff. You can test all the numbers with the formulas out there they all match up. So if you have a 9% increase there is not question use your main stat for a warrior who gets no increase its a toss up but you lose 10 bonus damage for 1.5% crit id say its worth it for main stat.

For those of you asking about it and wanting to know.

Main stat augs increases in full 28 purples augments.

Class with no main stat boost only buffs(sorc/warrior) = 470 main stat

1.53% in crit chance

98.784 bonus damage

Class with 6% main stat boost and buff(sorc/warrior) = 497.28 main stat

1.61% in crit chance

104.428 bonus damage

Class with 9% main stat boost with buff(sorc/warrior) = 510.72 main stat

1.65% in crit chance

107.2512 bonus damage

Full 28 purple power augments with buffs

448 power = 108.192 bonus damage

All of these include the 5% buff from sorc buff for main stat and before you all say my bonus damage numbers are wrong i know str adds .2 bonus dam and power adds .23. The higher numbers are with the 5% added from warrior buff. You can test all the numbers with the formulas out there they all match up. So if you have a 9% increase there is not question use your main stat for a warrior who gets no increase its a toss up but you lose 10 bonus damage for 1.5% crit id say its worth it for main stat.

The issue with your logic is that crit from mainstat does suffer from diminishing returns, so your calculations are all off by about 0.5%. So for a Sentinel with an all power Underworld grade build with Overkill Augments, you get a bonus damage of 948.7 with a crit percent of 17.79 versus with all Might Augments, you get a bonus damage of 939.3 with a crit percent of 18.8. So really it comes down to 1% of crit vs 10 bonus damage. The good folks over at mmo-mechanics have done some theorycrafting and determined that pure Overkill Augments is a tenth of a percent better. Huzzah. So, right now this comes down to personal preference. Personally, I'll be stacking Overkill as a Combat/Carnage build, but it may end up being slightly more useful for Annihilation/Watchman to use Might Augments due to the benefits they receive from crits.

All the comparisons are useful, you just didn't understand them. I'll elaborate.

I worked with 271 crit rating just to have somewhere to start. Working with 110 as a starter point will make the numbers change a bit, but not enough to change the conclusion. Test yourself if you don't believe me.

#1 Full Strength augmented and 271 crit rating: 924.9 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Change

#2 Full Power augmented and 328 crit rating: 923.7 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Chance

#3 Full Power augmented and 271 crit rating: 937.4 bonus dmg, 23.26% Critical Chance

#4 Full Strength augmented and 214 crit rating: 938.7 bonus dmg, 23.23% Critical Chance

- #1 and #3 is a straight up comparison between power vs strength augmented. Rest of stats are the same,

- #1 and #2 compares power vs strength augmented, but how much crit rating someone with power augments would have to gain, in order to get the same crit chance as the one with strength augments.

- #3 and #4 shows how much crit rating someone with strengh augments would have to drop, in order to get the same crit chance as someone with power augments.

I sorted it to showcase it a bit better.

Straight up comparison with equal stats.

#1 Full Strength augmented and 271 crit rating: 924.9 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Change

#3 Full Power augmented and 271 crit rating: 937.4 bonus dmg, 23.26% Critical Chance

Power setup drops power for crit rating, in order to get same crit chance as strength setup.

#2 Full Power augmented and 328 crit rating: 923.7 bonus dmg, 24.22% Critical Chance

Strength setup drops crit rating for power, in order to get the same crit chance as power setup.

#4 Full Strength augmented and 214 crit rating: 938.7 bonus dmg, 23.23% Critical Chance

(this last one isn't the exact same crit chance, but close enough to prove its point)

In every case, the strength setup wins.

The only way you cant use this comparison, is if you run 0 crit rating as a starting point. Theres no way to use the third comparison, as you would have to drop into negative critical rating with strength setup, in order to reach the same critical chance as power setup. Then it becomes a direct comparison between the ~1% crit from str, to the ~12 bonus dmg from power - not a comparison how to maximize your stats.

For abilities with autocrit, power is obviously the best to stack.

As a Marauder, should I use Power or Strength Augments? I read on MMO-Mechanics in a Marauder 2.0 Thread you have to gain 3700 Strength from your Gear before you should use Power Augments.

Greetings from T3-M4 [Germany]

Illunè

<Revenge>

Power.

But you also need to make sure you are taking the correct mods and enhancements as well.

So what are the correct mods and enhancements then?

The ones you don't want have super high STR. (72 STR I think?)

You want the ones with more than 26 power.

Sorry, I'm at work right now and can't remember the exact stats. But I think they have something like 56 STR, XX END, and 46PWR.

Enhancements you will want power surge,and maybe a couple power accuracy to get you to 110% force accuracy.

So what are the correct mods and enhancements then?

For mods its the none letter deft mod for example Deft Mod 30.

For enhancements you do not want to use endurance heavy versions.

So for surge/power you want the Adepts

for accuracy/power you want the Initiative

Edited by Sameria

All the comparisons are useful, you just didn't understand them. I'll elaborate.

Given you didn't mention your goals and were posting in regards to "Power vs Strength", no they are not all useful. Only 1 comparison, 1 & 3 actually compared Power vs. Strength with all else remaining equal.

I worked with 271 crit rating just to have somewhere to start. Working with 110 as a starter point will make the numbers change a bit, but not enough to change the conclusion. Test yourself if you don't believe me.

- #1 and #3 is a straight up comparison between power vs strength augmented. Rest of stats are the same,

- #1 and #2 compares power vs strength augmented, but how much crit rating someone with power augments would have to gain, in order to get the same crit chance as the one with strength augments.

- #3 and #4 shows how much crit rating someone with strengh augments would have to drop, in order to get the same crit chance as someone with power augments.

I sorted it to showcase it a bit better.

In every case, the strength setup wins.

The only way you cant use this comparison, is if you run 0 crit rating as a starting point. Theres no way to use the third comparison, as you would have to drop into negative critical rating with strength setup, in order to reach the same critical chance as power setup. Then it becomes a direct comparison between the ~1% crit from str, to the ~12 bonus dmg from power - not a comparison how to maximize your stats.

For abilities with autocrit, power is obviously the best to stack.

Unfortunately the rest of these comparisons work under a fundamentally floored assumption. There is no "goal crit percentage" as the contribution from main stat and the contribution from crit rating are on separate DR curves. As someone going to the effort of posting here I would assume you already know Noxxic is TERRIBLE and understand the fallacy of working with 'goal percentages' rather than goal ratings within a budget. Or even at the very minimum, understand what stats compete with each other and perform a comparison between the 2 while keeping everything else constant.

You could do a 3 variable comparison between Crit, Power and Strength for a given gear set or you could compare Crit vs Power and Strength vs Power in isolation but at present you will find (for Carnage at least and likely also Rage) that 0 Crit with Power Augments wins out. Annihilation may benefit from the increased crit chance by using Strength and may also have some benefit from crit rating but that isn't a simple x > y comparison since it largely has to do with the chance to generate extra Rage on a crit.

Really, all your stats say, aside from the 1 & 3 comparison is: "If you are using a floored gearing philosophy, go with strength since it helps you hit arbitrary goals easier."