Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What's your stance on abusing boss mechanics?

Astarica
05.09.2013 , 05:46 PM | #21
Exploiting only make sense if the enemy is so hard that you're not confident beating it the normal way. None of the bosses in HM FP remotely qualifies for this criteria.

uniz
05.10.2013 , 08:55 AM | #22
i have cleared and killed all of the 55 hms without any exploits or shenanigans to remove/not engage certain boss mechanics. but a few of my guildies like to use a few here and there not really knowing it is a exploit.

personally i really dont let it bother me as i know i can bet the instances without them. but part of me thinks you should know how to beat these encounters before you use such. at least for your first time through them you should.

perhaps this mindset would be different if i only ran pugs, had to spend lots on repair bills and get frustrated on unneeded wipes.

Sykomyke
05.10.2013 , 09:35 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
i have cleared and killed all of the 55 hms without any exploits or shenanigans to remove/not engage certain boss mechanics. but a few of my guildies like to use a few here and there not really knowing it is a exploit.

personally i really dont let it bother me as i know i can bet the instances without them. but part of me thinks you should know how to beat these encounters before you use such. at least for your first time through them you should.

perhaps this mindset would be different if i only ran pugs, had to spend lots on repair bills and get frustrated on unneeded wipes.
I have to agree with you on the "Do it right at least one time" mentality. Another part of me doesn't like abusing boss mechanics that are clearly borderline exploits because eventually these will get fixed and then people will complain about an encounter being "too hard" or something.

I think this is also why Lost Island (pre 2.0) was so difficult for people to complete. There were no mechanics people could cheese. They had to learn the mechanics, learn the fights, and execute them correctly.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Brittaany_Banks
05.10.2013 , 09:52 AM | #24
A mechanic is a mechanic. Why can't the Ugnaught adds get up onto the vehicle? Simple. They are too short to jump up on it. Makes sense.

What you are asking is if this is intended. Only a dev can respond to that. Even if it was not intended I very much doubt they are going to put a fix in for it.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Sykomyke
05.10.2013 , 11:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
A mechanic is a mechanic. Why can't the Ugnaught adds get up onto the vehicle? Simple. They are too short to jump up on it. Makes sense.

What you are asking is if this is intended. Only a dev can respond to that. Even if it was not intended I very much doubt they are going to put a fix in for it.
Actually the reason the Ugnaught's can't get onto the ship is because they follow the same type of code that your companions do. (or at least very similar to it). Your companions can't jump onto the ship either. Ever try to get the datacron on Hoth with the moving containers? Your companion will follow you around from below because he cannot get up to those areas.

This is a limitation of the engine, not lore, nor an intended mechanic; despite whatever excuse you try to come up with to validate it; it's most likely not intended; but will probably not get fixed either.

We may agree that it wasn't intended; but don't try to sugarcoat a situation for your own internal validation.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

NeoSeoul
05.10.2013 , 02:29 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It takes longer though because, after beating him down, you have to go and kill the mass of super durable adds manually instead of just having them die from the boss's death throes.
If you want to save time, the group can /stuck and get out of combat since the wookie is the checkpoint.

zzoorrzz
05.10.2013 , 02:43 PM | #27
I do it myself and don't intend to stop, so I can't stand against it. But I see your point and I think it's good to discuss the whole thing. You have limited sympathy on this from me.

JouerTue
05.10.2013 , 04:10 PM | #28
the only one i feel bad is gil in mando..the rest i'm fine..the whole group mechanic is forced..why a boss should keep attcaking the player who is actually dealing less damage than the others?

Kacynski
05.13.2013 , 03:32 AM | #29
Ok, to be more specific:
In Mando Raiders do you really think getting to a point where the bonus boss can do absolutely nothing to your group and you can safely kill him is just using the environment to your advantage? I definitely don't think so.

The same with the Wookie and his adds: get out of range for the adds, after the fight you do /stuck and violá boss beaten. I don't think this is working as intended tbh.

As for me, I will not make a hassle out of it. I do know these exploits, but I will not bring it up in a PUG. If the people want to exploit, I will usually silently follow. But I'm leaning more and more towards refusing to follow these practices as it is simply no fun at all.

I am not playing to gear up and jump into NM Operations, I play these FPs to have fun. And it is more fun without exploiting, that's my point.

uniz
05.13.2013 , 04:04 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
I have to agree with you on the "Do it right at least one time" mentality. Another part of me doesn't like abusing boss mechanics that are clearly borderline exploits because eventually these will get fixed and then people will complain about an encounter being "too hard" or something.

I think this is also why Lost Island (pre 2.0) was so difficult for people to complete. There were no mechanics people could cheese. They had to learn the mechanics, learn the fights, and execute them correctly.
you make a very valid point with the lost isle comment.