Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's your stance on abusing boss mechanics?


Kacynski's Avatar


Kacynski
05.08.2013 , 06:08 PM | #1
I am talking mostly about Cademimu and Mando Raiders here, as they have bosses that can be easily abused.

I Cademimu both the Wookie and the bonus boss can be outmaneuvered and if you position yourself correctly their main mechanics (adds and aoe pull) will be neglected. In Mando Raiders the bonus boss can be made completely helpless by correct positioning.

I do really feel that this is exploiting the game mechanics and I don't like it. Although I do know what could be done to make these fights a cheesy cakewalk, I will not tell the group, but most of the people know anyway at this point and will insist to abuse/exploit.

What's your stance to it? Will you propose these exploits yourself to make the run go quicker? Will you just follow the group? Or will you insist to do the fights the "right" way?

thatPERSON's Avatar


thatPERSON
05.08.2013 , 06:11 PM | #2
by lvl 55 most people are done doing flashpoints for the story and are now focused on gearing up. i am completely fine with this seeing how it makes things go faster. the faster it is the sooner you get out and get into a new one.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
05.08.2013 , 06:21 PM | #3
For Cademimu, it's actually easier, in my experience, to just straight up tank the boss in the middle where the adds spawn. When the boss dies, he explodes, killing any nearby adds. If the adds aren't near him, they have to be killed manually, and they have *way* too much hp to make that an efficient prospect. The only reason you might not want to just do it "normally" is if your DPS is utterly terrible and you think you'll get more than 2-3 add packs.

Concerning the bonus bosses, for Cademimu, mechanics like that have been "gamed" by interposing a barrier between yourself and the boss pretty regularly. The boss that the Separatist was based off of (pretty obviously I might add) was the bonus boss of Taral V and most ranged DPS would do the exact same thing for his pull. It's just like tanks and DPS who game KB effects by putting their backs to a wall or standing just outside of range of immobile enemies. For Mando Raider, on the other hand, it skirts the realm of "broken". DPS will still take damage from his special attack, but the boss is simply incapable of attacking the tank. Of course, the bonus bosses are pretty much free loot. They're largely tank and spank with a single mechanic to minutely tweak the fight (Cad bonus has the pull; Mando has the threat drop + AoE, Athiss has the cast that can be interrupted, and Hammer Station has the stun). None of them are particularly difficult so abusing them doesn't really mean much in the long run.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
05.09.2013 , 07:15 AM | #4
What would be the abuse on the Wookie boss ? Making him burn his own adds ? That sounds absolutely intended to me. How many other bosses has some sort of "friendly fire" thing ? Red Reaper would be one, where you had to move and stay behind of thsoe acolytes whateves. I don't recall walker-kephess damaging his pakcs of thrandoshians with the aoe stuff (would have been nice though,lol)

But what are you going to do ? Positioning yourself so adds are safe and sound ? That's what you do for your group fighting with you :P

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
05.09.2013 , 07:21 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
What would be the abuse on the Wookie boss ?
The "abuse" mechanic on the Wookiee is standing pulling him out from under the ship (generally by hiding either the cargo boxes or the elevator to LoS pull him). The adds won't follow him if you get him far enough away from the ship, so you don't have to deal with the soft enrage derived from having a bazillion remarkably durable ugnaughts beating down upon you. You still have to kill said adds to get out of combat, but it makes the fight easier if you don't have enough DPS to kill him before the third or fourth set of adds spawn. It takes longer though because, after beating him down, you have to go and kill the mass of super durable adds manually instead of just having them die from the boss's death throes.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
05.09.2013 , 07:25 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
What would be the abuse on the Wookie boss ? Making him burn his own adds ? ...
No. That's not it. In the Heroic 55 version, his flamethrower no longer damages the adds.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
05.09.2013 , 07:33 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
The "abuse" mechanic on the Wookiee is standing pulling him out from under the ship (generally by hiding either the cargo boxes or the elevator to LoS pull him). The adds won't follow him if you get him far enough away from the ship, so you don't have to deal with the soft enrage derived from having a bazillion remarkably durable ugnaughts beating down upon you. You still have to kill said adds to get out of combat, but it makes the fight easier if you don't have enough DPS to kill him before the third or fourth set of adds spawn. It takes longer though because, after beating him down, you have to go and kill the mass of super durable adds manually instead of just having them die from the boss's death throes.
lol, didn't know that.

but that's a really fun, fast fight that can go wrong in seconds or go smoothly to the point of saying "was that a joke ?"
it's rather hilarious and tragic sight seing a dps or healer being chased down by a dozen of little s****** to finally zerg them down in 2 seconds

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
05.09.2013 , 07:36 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
No. That's not it. In the Heroic 55 version, his flamethrower no longer damages the adds.
The flamethrower *does* do damage to them, but it's so little that it doesn't matter.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
05.09.2013 , 08:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
I am talking mostly about Cademimu and Mando Raiders here, as they have bosses that can be easily abused.

I Cademimu both the Wookie and the bonus boss can be outmaneuvered and if you position yourself correctly their main mechanics (adds and aoe pull) will be neglected. In Mando Raiders the bonus boss can be made completely helpless by correct positioning.

I do really feel that this is exploiting the game mechanics and I don't like it. Although I do know what could be done to make these fights a cheesy cakewalk, I will not tell the group, but most of the people know anyway at this point and will insist to abuse/exploit.

What's your stance to it? Will you propose these exploits yourself to make the run go quicker? Will you just follow the group? Or will you insist to do the fights the "right" way?
Clever use of your surroundings and the weaknesses of your adversary(s) have been staples of RPGs since the genre came into being. One of the most engaging and fun aspects of tabletop RPGs is for players to come up with solutions to encounters that the Game Master (GM) did not anticipate. And a good GM rewards the players for their cleverness, but also learns from the experience.

These so called "abuses" of boss mechanics in MMOs are no different. The developers are the GMs - they have created an encounter that the players need to overcome. Somewhere along the line a group of players, whether by accident or on purpose, use their surroundings or "exploit" a weakness making the encounter easier than the developers intended. And then that "strategy" is propagated to all who play the game. The "reward" is that those who use it save time.

Jeweledleah's Avatar


Jeweledleah
05.09.2013 , 08:12 AM | #10
I thought adds spawned based on his life percentage, not based on how long it takes to kill him?

because I distinctly remember ending up with I'm not sure how many of those ugnaughts beating me (healer) into a pulp, because tank didn't even have a chance to pick them up, since dps burned the boss down fairly quickly, 3 groups spawned within seconds of each other which tanks AoE was on CD... but apparently not quickly enough to finish him off before we all died...