Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TonyDragonflame
05.05.2013 , 02:22 AM | #1381
I found fine situation, when everyone can craft 66 gear and be competitive in wz with it compared with Partisan and Conqueror - it makes playing comfortable on start and gearing much more faster when you have plenty chars and makes gear gap smaller.

But anyway Conqueror min/max gear is best for pvp, dont mention about pvp gear still best for open world pvp. So, process of grind still there is, but you can start playing and grinding in very soft environment.

DarthKalldin
05.05.2013 , 03:15 AM | #1382
Quote: Originally Posted by AcidicAmber View Post
It's getting pretty clear that Bioware does not want PVPers money, they would rather us go elsewhere.
Well, PvP is 70% of the game.. We all do few times FP`s and OP`s, and I like it - but I return to wage "WAR" in Star Wars

bolster partisan to ilvl 69 when i enter FP or OP and we are good = equal joke

I really think bolster sistem sucks... PvE players buy (new) recruit set - spend 200-300 k if you want to fight in WZ`s... and we are all good.. only one PvE item for regular FP`s is 400-500k...
A forum post should be like a skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting...

Proud member of SWTOR since 22nd October 2008 !

DroidDreamer
05.05.2013 , 01:11 PM | #1383
Quote: Originally Posted by DroidDreamer View Post
I was in WZ last night with some guy who was wearing at least three empty orange pieces. I was in full Partisan with three Conqueror pieces.

He had more health than I did.
I thought they had fixed "naked" bolster...
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

Khalhazar
05.05.2013 , 01:16 PM | #1384
I thought they had fixed "naked" bolster...
Fix one bug, another pops up. We will not be able to trust bolster, ever.
Semah Valerian <Some Sith and a Spy> | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony

Skolops
05.05.2013 , 03:45 PM | #1385
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
No, full 66 pve gear gives around 1800 expertise and less (-4-5k hp) endurance than conqueror. Also, crafted gear armorings dont carry set bonuses.

But its good gear for start playing wz until you get conqueror, and makes gear gap small. So, bolster fine
Have known people in the full crafted stuff to have 2000 expertise in warzones. It happens. I also don't know where you are getting the less HP from as it provides more than Conqueror....
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five

DarthKalldin
05.05.2013 , 03:50 PM | #1386
Quote: Originally Posted by Skolops View Post
Have known people in the full crafted stuff to have 2000 expertise in warzones. It happens. I also don't know where you are getting the less HP from as it provides more than Conqueror....
Im starting to wonder is TonyDragonFlame BioWare (or Disney) employee
A forum post should be like a skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting...

Proud member of SWTOR since 22nd October 2008 !

thomasbaxter
05.05.2013 , 04:32 PM | #1387
U get expertise for every slot thats filled. You need the 2 relics/implants to get 2018. That said if you put on ANY expertise pre 55 it deducts it from your expertise. Bit bizarre but I sorta get it now. When you hit 55 expertise sitll counts.

cripito
05.05.2013 , 05:38 PM | #1388
I was in WZ last night with some guy who was wearing at least three empty orange pieces. I was in full Partisan with three Conqueror pieces.

He had more health than I did.
I am full conqueror with only power relic I seat around 31720 HP.. in my last wz there was a guy with underword gear and green implants and relics which 35k I am sure he was using the exploit b/c the green augments but still

Astarica
05.05.2013 , 05:44 PM | #1389
Crafted rating 152 gear is competitive with Conqueror. Crafted rating 156 (purple 66) is NOT competitive with Conqueror, at least not as competitive as rating 152. I mean what you're saying is basically wear all basic gear (same rating) and you'd be better than Conqueror. If it's that easy someone would've already accidentally figured this out, not to mention I have no idea where you get these massive stat boost for wearing armor that's 2 rating above Conqueror, even if they magically have 100% the expertise (which they do not).

EricMusco
05.06.2013 , 12:30 PM | #1390 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey everyone, I have seen a lot of questions about why Bolster exists at 55 given the issues we have been having. I talked to Rob Hinkle and here is his explanation on why Bolster exists as a system at level 55.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rob Hinkle
Hey gang,

One of the questions that comes up with some frequency about the new bolster system is, “Why do we bolster people at level 55 at all?” A fair question, I say, so I wanted to try to take a moment to explain the thinking. Before 2.0 we gave free sets of PvP gear, the Recruit (and Recruit Mk-2) sets, to players as they reached the max level of the game. This gear was intended to set the minimum power level of players inside Warzones, making sure that regardless of what gear you’ve managed to obtain as you were leveling, you were at “X” power level at the worst.

This is important because we feel that PvP performance is a combination of player skill and character power from gear, and we want to make sure that a player can always feel like he can contribute in a warzone regardless of how much gear he has managed to acquire. Unfortunately, giving away physical gear ran into a number of problems: we couldn’t actually make it as powerful as we wanted without invalidating the gear being dropped in flashpoints, some players simply sold the gear for an immediate cash gain, and a large number of people either didn’t ever acquire the Recruit gear or simply didn’t wear it while inside PvP. The result was a rather harsh introduction to PvP for fresh level 50 players into the established PvP end-game that resulted in a significant drop off in participation of PvP.

We wanted a system that could handle creating our desired power range more seamlessly, allowing players an easy transition between the leveling game and the PvP game. To that end, we reworked the Bolster system to not function off player level (as it did pre-2.0) and instead use the power level of the items a character currently has equipped. Effectively, this lets us define our “Recruit Item Set” systematically, where if players are below a certain power level we can bring that player up to a power range where they can participate and enjoy PvP. Now players who just hit level 55 no longer have to go looking for a special set of gear to wear in PvP just to try to compete, they can simply queue up and play as they have been their entire leveling experience.

It’s unfortunate that our Bolster 2.0 release hasn’t gone nearly as smoothly as we hoped and that can certainly lead to the suggestion of limiting its use, but without some kind of system in-place we would be in a situation where players will have been playing in a competitive PvP environment as they level up, and as soon as they hit level 55 their PvP enjoyment immediately tanks and they are forced to “suffer through it” to gain enough Warzone Commendations to buy gear to finally be competitive (or simply never play PvP again). We believe that would be very bad in the long run for SW:TOR PvP, and something we are working to avoid.

I hope this helps explain some of our thinking, and why we decided to go with the system we have, thanks for your time.
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]