Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Sith Empire vs the Galactic Empire....

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Sith Empire vs the Galactic Empire....

Angedechu
05.03.2013 , 08:17 AM | #1
a point that always annoyed me with TOR, and discouraged me to roll Empire, was the fact that the Sith Empire was cast as ''cartoonish supervillain'' from the get go.

This is especially glaring compared to the Galactic Empire, which was usually characterised not as badly in the EU works

The Empire, in Zahn works, is certainly not the ''good guys'', but they are not either space Nazis. (In fact, the more outlandish aspect of the Empire are derived from very specific works, such as Anderson books and the Dark Empire comics : in Zahn and Stackpole books, for instance, the Empire is much more authoritarian than totalitarian)

The point is, the Galactic Empire depiction have kinda improved since the nineties, to the point that in current SW works, the remnant of the Empire is a perfectly legitimate government that works better than the quickly collapsing New Republic successor government, the GFFA. (that point is especially driven hard by the wedding of Jaina Solo, the sole surviving Solo kid, to the future Emperor )

Why I say this ? Well, it's because it's in stark contrast with the depiction of the Empire in TOR, which is on par with Cobra....

Gurluas
05.03.2013 , 08:21 AM | #2
Keep in mind that the Imperial Remnant was no longer piloted by Sith.

Angedechu
05.03.2013 , 08:24 AM | #3
TOR lores flat out states that the Empire is , by the time the game start, no longer actively ruled by the Emperor. ¸

But this said, even when Sidious was alive, the Galactic Empire was not made only of lunatics and crackpots (cue to ''Allegiance'' and ''Choices of One'')

Suromir
05.03.2013 , 08:28 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
Keep in mind that the Imperial Remnant was no longer piloted by Sith.
This. The TOR empire is so "Cobra"-ish..because there's so many Sith around...which are, as a whole, exactly that. The Galactic Empire wasn't near as bad because ONLY Palpatine was in charge (with Vader but Palp's called the shots.) But if you look at the individual things done it's not THAT far off really....

Angedechu
05.03.2013 , 08:31 AM | #5
A lot of atrocities committed by the Empire over the storylines are suggested by non-Sith officers.

Seireeni
05.03.2013 , 08:32 AM | #6
Good to see another person who read Zahn's books and came to the conclusion that the Empire isn't that bad after all.

Anyway, even though the Empire would seem evil, in TOR, you can actually make the difference with your own characters. You can be the "Mara Jade" (or other not-so-bad imperial) of Sith Empire, patriotic but light-sided (or neutral). And you will meet NPCs that share your thoughts more or less. They're not all bad, not even in TOR.

DJGeeky
05.03.2013 , 08:32 AM | #7
Your comparison is Apples to Oranges.

Remember, the era we are seeing in ToR is 3000 years before the era of Darth vader, the sith empire IS the founding source of the galactic empire, it wasnt until MUCH MUCH later that the Sith had been driven from the empire for their over all cruelty/murder/etc...

In the original star wars films, which are the inspiration for the books and EU you are referring to, the empire had but ONE KNOWN sith and the jedi were thought to be extinct within the galaxy. Even imperial officers and agents held a disdain for Vader, but feared him above all, the secrecy behind the Emperor was hiding his true nature as Vader was his hand of action. Really only the imperial guard was around Palpatine or Vader's direct influence, so the officers, agents, and grunts that werent directly associated with either would not have been affected to a certain degree by Sith code and teachings and activity. Nor were they used to any other "Lord" of the sith other than vader.

In the ToR universe, and in the original KoToR games, the Sith were fully integrated at almost every level in the Imperial structure at the time, their influence is seen in almost all areas of the imperial control.

Angedechu
05.03.2013 , 08:33 AM | #8
In the EU, the Galactic Empire have tons of Dark Jedis.

JPryde
05.03.2013 , 08:34 AM | #9
I got to agree with the OP.

Most conversation choices for maximum dark points in this game on side empire seem to me more "childish evil" than "evil genius evil".

Not once in leveling my warrior to 50 did I even feel close to evli masterminds like the darths to come in 3000+ years.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Angedechu
05.03.2013 , 08:36 AM | #10
Case in point, Anihilation

Anihilation plot is that the Empire is reeling, and losing on every front. Every ship counts.

...cue to a chapter into which a Sith wipes out another Sith fleet for political power.

Yes, this is Sith philosophy, but that's pretty stupid for an Empire.