Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Defense Guardian with DPS gear (PvP)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Defense Guardian with DPS gear (PvP)

Saprezzan
04.30.2013 , 07:30 AM | #1
Hey,

I used to play SWTOR at launch and now I'm back - I had a Defense spec Guardian, but I was using DPS gear to maximize the damage (and it used to have very hefty single-target damage, with Guardian Slash hitting like a truck).

Would that still be viable to use? How has the Defense tree changed in that respect? Oh and I play PvP almost exclusively.
Progenitor/Vanguard/Guardian

Luckeyduckey
04.30.2013 , 04:18 PM | #2
Defense's damage has been increased, so it should absolutely viable. I haven't tried it, but you might as well give it a go :P
Extermination
Aesrik

Saprezzan
05.16.2013 , 03:00 AM | #3
Early levels are pretty terrible unfortunately (getting close to 20 now).

Did anyone get a chance to test it out at later levels?

Aelaias
05.16.2013 , 09:52 AM | #4
How about you level as vigilance?
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

Ridickilis
05.16.2013 , 10:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Saprezzan View Post
Early levels are pretty terrible unfortunately (getting close to 20 now).

Did anyone get a chance to test it out at later levels?
If you're leveling up as a tank you want to grab all might hilts, armorings and mods while using power enhancements. So yeah, gear as a dps until you hit around 40-45ish. There is no point in stacking endurance in the low levels (I wouldn't even do that at the high levels either, but that's a whole other discussion). Other than endurance (guardian mods), there aren't many tanking stats to be had, none in mods/enhancements anyway, before you hit level 40-45. So you're better off using the mitigation you get in the defense tree/soresu form, a shield off-hand, while stacking your main stat and power.

Saprezzan
05.17.2013 , 03:14 AM | #6
It's much better now, with Force Push and Stasis.

Thanks for the advice. So I should pushing Power? Was wondering about Surge/Critical...

Ridickilis
05.17.2013 , 07:34 AM | #7
I take power over critical (personal preference, also remember that strength gives you a bonus to crit as well). As far as surge goes, you'll see that as secondary stats on the power enhancements around level 30ish. So you don't need to pick power over surge, you can get both.

Pilgrim_Grey
08.10.2013 , 05:16 PM | #8
A bit of a necro, I know, but I'm curious to see if anyone is doing this still and how it's going. Finally made it to 55 on my Guardian, who is defense spec, and I'm wondering if I should try using offensive mods, etc., for PVP or if I should just keep going for defense, shield, etc., and just focus on tanking in pvp.

I could take a good deal of punishment in the 30-54 PVP with tanking gear, but it was annoying taking on healers. Not sure if the dps gear would change that around, but I thought I would ask.