Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Short delay (0.2~0.4 sec) after abilities with activation time...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Short delay (0.2~0.4 sec) after abilities with activation time...

Sanquind
12.21.2011 , 05:10 AM | #1
So I've noticed this mostly on my Jedi sage. Disturbance is supposed to have a 1.5 sec cast time. But after that cast time, it takes another 0.2~0.4 sec for the ability to actually do damage! I mean, what gives? I have a constant latency of 50 or less so imo this shouldn't be happening.

Is it some kind of server side lag? A 'built in' animation delay? Either way, because of this whenever I cast something it feels sluggish.
I said that this isn't WoW. But I was wrong. Combat log, dual spec, 16 man raids going to be easier than 8 mans... No, this game is exactly WoW in a star wars skin. They're just subtle about copying it, by slowly implementing WoW features over time.

edvardgj
12.21.2011 , 06:53 AM | #2
I have the same issue but on my jedi shadow, it feels like I get locked in 0.2 sec animation on my shadow strike (backstab like ability). It is an instant but I sure feel the delay on it. Strange thing is that some instant abilties are instant in a way and others it feel like they got some sort of delay.

Glammyr
12.21.2011 , 06:55 AM | #3
What your experiencing with disturbance is perhaps the time it takes for the spell to travel from you to the enemy.

However, there IS animation lag when you compare the Sith's Shock ability vs. a Jedi's Project. It takes time for that rock to get picked up and hurled at the enemy whereas the Sith's lightning is instant.

edvardgj
12.21.2011 , 06:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Glammyr View Post
What your experiencing with disturbance is perhaps the time it takes for the spell to travel from you to the enemy.

However, there IS animation lag when you compare the Sith's Shock ability vs. a Jedi's Project. It takes time for that rock to get picked up and hurled at the enemy whereas the Sith's lightning is instant.
EXCLY right! I do not get this sort of delay on my lvl 18 sith, while on my jedi shadow (32) I get the delay both on backstab and project. It is either a poor design or there is something that you can turn off in options..not sure.

KyrusValo
12.21.2011 , 08:33 AM | #5
Can't speak for backstab but Project is supposed to take a little longer than Shock - you're pulling a rock out of the ground and hurling it, it's not gonna be quite as instant as lightning...

I notice a slight ability lag as well though, definitely with Maul (backstab) and some other abilities I can't think of off the top of my head. Even adjusting the "action queue" (or whatever it's called) in options, even that seems like it has a little lag to it...I play quick and when I hit one hotkey I'm already moving to the next immediately, and even the options adjustment for that seems like it takes the same amount of time regardless.

Bollah
12.21.2011 , 08:39 AM | #6
Having played the Scoundrel and Operatives (Melee DPS), I felt the scoundrel's abilities aren't as smooth and flowing as the operatives. It does effect me in PvP, which really sucks.

It seems to be animation delay.

Haasth
12.21.2011 , 09:42 AM | #7
Probably just animation delay, and this is likely not related to the problem but have you turned off the ability queue in options? I am not sure how it is exactly called, but with it on I find things a lot less smooth and responsive. So I suggest turning that off, or at least lowering it.

Sanquind
12.21.2011 , 01:01 PM | #8
Turned that off already. And imo, for something that's supposed to be instant it should not have an extra 0.2~0.4 second animation delay!

Even more so with my spells on my sage, as it cripples me quite a bit to have to wait an extra 0.2~0.4 sec before I can cast something else, while the cast bar already finished. Plus this also gives a bug with a second spell already being cast, but then cancelled because the animation of the first wasn't finished yet. Which in turn costs you a good half a second extra before recasting your spell.
I said that this isn't WoW. But I was wrong. Combat log, dual spec, 16 man raids going to be easier than 8 mans... No, this game is exactly WoW in a star wars skin. They're just subtle about copying it, by slowly implementing WoW features over time.