Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sith Marauder vs Sith Assassin

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sith Marauder vs Sith Assassin

Verrell
12.21.2011 , 10:34 AM | #1
I'm having a hard time figuring out which class I want to play. When I think Sith Assassin, I imagine rogue (No I don't want to play an Imperial Agent), but somehow they come off like battle mages more than just melee. Ya know, I see more force powers than actual melee. On the other hand the Sith marauder looks clunky. I wish to play a more fast paced fighter. Above all, I value melee.

Can anyone provide insight on each class? Are assassins nothing but sneaky battle mages? Also are Sith Marauders clunky? Thanks for any input, guys!
"..The Force shall free me.."

Jarjarsgenius
12.21.2011 , 10:42 AM | #2
From playing a Jedi Sentinal, its mirror, I can tell you that the Sentinal/Marauder can be very fast-paced if you spec in the Ataru Form tree (which is the middle one - It's called "Combat" for JK, but I forget what the SW calls it).

The rare times the lag subsides it's a beautiful thing to watch those dual sabers dancing.

As for the SI Assassin, which is my main, it is a lot of exchanging lightning with saber strikes, though you don't do "battlemage" so much unless you spec Madness.
"The Ability to Speak Does Not Make You Intelligent" - Qui-Gon Jinn

Verrell
12.21.2011 , 11:07 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarjarsgenius View Post
As for the SI Assassin, which is my main, it is a lot of exchanging lightning with saber strikes, though you don't do "battlemage" so much unless you spec Madness.
So in essence, the assassin is like a rogue with some Force capabilities? Are there a lot of positional requirements with this class?

My whole thing is that I wanna specialize in lightsaber combat, but I love the sneaky stealthy aspect as well. Force powers like hurling lightning...eh, I can do without. If that makes any sense.

TheftyGamer
12.21.2011 , 12:14 PM | #4
If you can do without the force power, then I would go Sentinel or if you are on the sith side, marauder because if played right, they can do some HEAVY DPS.

Verrell
12.21.2011 , 12:52 PM | #5
Now, in terms of the Marauder/Sentinel, are they melee strikes only? As in no type of CC?

Verrell
12.21.2011 , 03:34 PM | #6
Dishonorable bumpage

PenguinLegend
12.21.2011 , 03:46 PM | #7
I play a sith marauder, and am currently level 23. The sith marauder is fast paced, as you are constantly building up rage to spend, but he doesn't really get cc until lvl 24. He has a charge that lets you jump right into combat, then focuses on constantly attacking to bring the opponent down with dps. The class starts kind of slow at first, so I would recommend at least playing it to level 20 if you do try it out, maybe 24 to get your actual cc. Their cc is force choke (force stasis for sentinels), and it is a channeled cc that does damage over time.

Edit: Spelling corrections.

Draemos
12.21.2011 , 04:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Verrell View Post
So in essence, the assassin is like a rogue with some Force capabilities? Are there a lot of positional requirements with this class?

My whole thing is that I wanna specialize in lightsaber combat, but I love the sneaky stealthy aspect as well. Force powers like hurling lightning...eh, I can do without. If that makes any sense.
It's a fairly even mix of force and saber. You will be using a lot of short range instant cast lightning blasts (shock and discharge). It's similar to an enhancement shaman in that respect.

Concerning positionals, you'll ideally want to get behind your target about every 10 seconds for a Maul.

Bgiffo
12.21.2011 , 04:43 PM | #9
Assassin's more like an enhancement shaman with stealth.

DevouringPlague
12.21.2011 , 05:49 PM | #10
Marauder / sentinel are currently basically terrible and broken, and can only fulfill one role at end game.

Just go assassin and have done with it.