Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subscription: Advertisement vs Truth

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Subscription: Advertisement vs Truth
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.29.2013 , 09:52 AM | #271 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I believe the issue that you wanted to have addressed is that currently it states "Full access to all character creation choices." As of this moment this terminology is still correct as subscribers do have full access to those choices. We will be updating that page (along with any others that make similar references) once Game Update 2.1 goes live.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Lostpenguins
04.29.2013 , 09:59 AM | #272
I'm not complaining. From my previous MMO experience new races came with expansions, but those expansions were more expensive. Now, I can avoid paying for something I never plan to using... it's fantastic! And even if I did want to, it would take 1 1/5 months of free cartel coins for me to unlock it. So, in the end, it's still free for me, as a subscriber.

Really, I really feel like people who are complaining are just complaining for the sake of complaining. They ignore that they can use their free CC coins to unlock something or that the expansion didn't include it and up the cost.

The argument can be brought down to semantics of "Oh, now I'm forced to use my free coins for content update..." or "this wans't a real expansion", blah, blah, blah. Really, sometimes you're fighting so hard to look right, that instead you just look ridiculous.

Tommot
04.29.2013 , 10:03 AM | #273
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I believe the issue that you wanted to have addressed is that currently it states "Full access to all character creation choices." As of this moment this terminology is still correct as subscribers do have full access to those choices. We will be updating that page (along with any others that make similar references) once Game Update 2.1 goes live.

-eric
I'm happy because I would rather you guys charge for this stuff over actual content. However, I dont think people are concerned with whether or not you change the wording. i think they're concerned that when F2P launched, subscriptions had certain clearly stated benefits over F2P, but now you're going back on your word and no longer providing one of these benefits. Instead of subscribers getting ALL character customization options included in our sub, we now only get MORE. To some, this makes it feel like subscriptions are losing their value.
Roswin - 50 Jedi Sentinel | Vaelin - 50 Sith Juggernaut | Kordis - 50 Sith Marauder | Vaelis - 50 Sith Assassin | Tylus - 50 Sniper
| Vint - 43 Mercenary | Kiden - 35 Vangaurd | Skavic - 22 Jedi Sage |

TUXs
04.29.2013 , 10:11 AM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Thankfully, the Dev don't listen to whiny complaints like this one.

It's childishly silly to throw your own definition of 'content' out there and expect to be taken seriously. Oh, and 'expectation' you have for 2.1 is likely to result in yet more whiny forum complaints since the name of 2.1 is CUSTOMIZATION and not "Tux's Real Content Patch That Doesn't Have CM Stuff In It."

Tell me, what will you do when 2.1 gets here and there's nothing in it that qualifies in 'your' mind as 'real content'?

Will you quit? Or just make more Forum posts?
Whoa...bitter today Infernixx? Getting a bit hostile there huh?

A Cartel Market update, is not what I was promised every 6-weeks, hell, we get those much more regularly than that as it is. So yes, 2.1 had better have more than Cartel Market crap in it or I'll be displeased.

And why do you want to know what my plans are? Why do they matter to you? Since I've NEVER threatened to quit this game, I think it's safe to assume that will NOT be one of the things I do.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Infernixx
04.29.2013 , 10:13 AM | #275
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Whoa...bitter today Infernixx? Getting a bit hostile there huh?

A Cartel Market update, is not what I was promised every 6-weeks, hell, we get those much more regularly than that as it is. So yes, 2.1 had better have more than Cartel Market crap in it or I'll be displeased.

And why do you want to know what my plans are? Why do they matter to you? Since I've NEVER threatened to quit this game, I think it's safe to assume that will NOT be one of the things I do.
Well, you made a point of stating that you EXPECT there to be more stuff than customization stuff in the Customization patch. So, I was just curious as to what exactly you'll do when you're disappointed when you don't get what you want.
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

ML_DoubleTap
04.29.2013 , 10:16 AM | #276

-eric
I generally defend ya'll, but this statement is either poorly worded or a bit shady. So basically you're doing a bait and switch from your description. "There are current perks and as we remove those, we'll just simply update the pages that describe them."

IMO, it really should have been a legacy type perk that you could unlock. Like Field Respec or similar. Either a large amount of credits or cartel coins to unlock the options on your toon. I like that model as there's still a way to do it without spending extra money. This is the first time I've felt a bit slighted as a sub. Certainly not something I'll leave over...I think it's silly when peopl throw that out and you know they don't mean it...I just think this is a poor way of bring this feature out. Hopefully I'm wrong as we're yet to learn some details. If charging per slider on character custimization isn't nickel and diming, I don't know what is

On the dyes, I would love either a free option to dye to a set of predetermined guild colors, or an option for the guild to buy that feature w/ in game credits. My guild attempts to outfit our toons in Red with either silver or black, and on the Pub side that really limits options. A Guild Color template would be a nice addition.
<Proper Villians> Rhees Bonkurz

<Army of Light> Tann'se Siir Atone Askar Grills

TUXs
04.29.2013 , 10:18 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Well, you made a point of stating that you EXPECT there to be more stuff than customization stuff in the Customization patch. So, I was just curious as to what exactly you'll do when you're disappointed when you don't get what you want.
Why so nosy? Does my choice effect you in any way?

I expect more than a cartel market update.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Alec_Fortescue
04.29.2013 , 10:21 AM | #278
Master Musco, when can we expect more news? I know there will be something up this week with Dulfy and I'd love to know which day!
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

Almost 3 years old and there are still no iconic / classic / traditional / prequel-style (pick any!) Jedi robes in the game! How come?

Also how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Lostpenguins
04.29.2013 , 10:22 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by ML_DoubleTap View Post
I generally defend ya'll, but this statement is either poorly worded or a bit shady. So basically you're doing a bait and switch from your description. "There are current perks and as we remove those, we'll just simply update the pages that describe them."
No, you're wrong. Good luck trying to use an advertisement for coca cola being 5 cents back from 1930's and using it now. Advertisements are only legitimate for so long as they are being currently used. Currently, BW's advertisement is true, thus they aren't being shady.

ML_DoubleTap
04.29.2013 , 10:31 AM | #280
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
No, you're wrong. Good luck trying to use an advertisement for coca cola being 5 cents back from 1930's and using it now. Advertisements are only legitimate for so long as they are being currently used. Currently, BW's advertisement is true, thus they aren't being shady.
Not a very good comparison, but fair enough. Everything I stated was simply my opinion, and in my opinion it is a poor decision to charge the way it sounds like they are planning on. I spend a lot of money on this game in xp buffs, character unlocks, but charging per customization and per slider seems a little excessive. I'd have rather it been a one time unlock/purchase for general appearance. But, like I said, it's not something I'm that extremely upset over.

On another note, putting colors into packs seems like another pretty poor decision. If they're going to charge for something as simple as changing the color on a piece of gear they should at the very least allow them to be bought directly.
<Proper Villians> Rhees Bonkurz

<Army of Light> Tann'se Siir Atone Askar Grills