Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

And yet, when they give you what you ask for, you complain that it is not what you want. The way I see it, none of you will be happy until everyone in the galaxy can be romanced by either gender, just so everyone can find someone that "fits" them.

They gave us 1 gay man and bunch of bi females. Sure, it's the same as all the heterosexual companions and 50 levels of heterosexual [flirt]s.

It's a great start, but I will be disappointed if that will be all we are ever getting.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid our male/male-romance option is on imperial side. :( Unfortunately.

Thank you for the quick reply, Seireeni. To be honest I really did not expect much from BW on this subject. I assumed that any SGRA options would be trivial. I had hoped that, even to the small degree that I expected BW to implement options, that my game character persona could more closely reflect my own persona, that of a gay man. I suppose my low expectations where a good thing. Otherwise I might make the leap of logic that by only having a male/male relationship option available to Imperial characters that BW is implying some relationship between being gay and being evil.

Let's look at Kaliyo for the agent. Just because she is Bisexual does not mean she HAS to be romance-able by a female agent. Lots of Bi people in the real world do not like people they are closest to.

It should stay that way, some people just do not like your character.

Let's look at Kaliyo for the agent. Just because she is Bisexual does not mean she HAS to be romance-able by a female agent. Lots of Bi people in the real world do not like people they are closest to.

All current companions are hero-sexual and discriminate only based on gender. No companion cares about your character's personality, their actions in the storyline, how they look or what species they are. Your attempt at an argument is rendered invalid by the current game mechanics.

All current companions are hero-sexual and discriminate only based on gender. No companion cares about your character's personality, their actions in the storyline, how they look or what species they are. Your attempt at an argument is rendered invalid by the current game mechanics.

Yet the original game had only hetero flirts and romances. Leave the current companions alone and ask for NEW gay/lesbian companions.

it is as simple as accepting what you are given and not trying to force old content to fit your worldview. I do not like a couple of my Gunslinger's companions, but do I ask for the option to kill them off? no, I accept the fact that I have to have them but I never use them, it is the same with Romances, accept that the current companions just do not want your character, and ask for new companions who will.

Edited by stormdrakelord

We're not asking that we could romance every single NPC we meet. We are asking that we would sometimes meet characters that we can romance, here and there.

EDIT

Yet the original game had only hetero flirts and romances. Leave the current companions alone and ask for NEW gay/lesbian companions.

it is as simple as accepting what you are given and not trying to force old content to fit your worldview. I do not like a couple of my Gunslinger's companions, but do I ask for the option to kill them off? no, I accept the fact that I have to have them but I never use them, it is the same with Romances, accept that the current companions just do not want your character, and ask for new companions who will.

I'd really like Kaliyo to be romanced with female, as I have said. However, there can be 2 reasons why she is not:

1. She can be romanced by male only because when she was created, this was the only option.

2. She can be romanced by male only because although she is bi, she's more interested in males and rarely romances females.

If the reason is number 2, I can live with it. However, if the reason is 1, I'd really like it changed.

Edited by Seireeni

Except it has already been implied by Bioware's own writers (principally by Mr. Erickson at the Guild Summit and then again by Mr. Hickman in his State of the Game address) that same-gender romances are possible with existing companions.

And why are you so against this? It will not affect you in any way.

We're not asking that we could romance every single NPC we meet. We are asking that we would sometimes meet characters that we can romance, here and there.

and they gave that to you in a way, yet you still complain that it is not equal. if people keep complaining loud enough, Bioware might as well forget Story and focus on pleasing it's fans, ruining a good game.

and they gave that to you in a way, yet you still complain that it is not equal. if people keep complaining loud enough, Bioware might as well forget Story and focus on pleasing it's fans, ruining a good game.

Because it's not equal! How is it so hard for you to understand that splitting sexuality by faction - that saying that gay men are only in the Empire and out-out lesbians are only in the Republic - is not equal?

We have 1 gay man and few bi females in 1 planet. Sure, it's nice. But how would you feel like if the only straight people you meet would be the [flirt] options on i.e. Nar Shaddaa and the rest of the galaxy would be full of gay people?

We have 1 gay man and few bi females in 1 planet. Sure, it's nice. But how would you feel like if the only straight people you meet would be the [flirt] options on i.e. Nar Shaddaa and the rest of the galaxy would be full of gay people?

I've asked him that question three times now, he's not going to respond to it.

Because it's not equal! How is it so hard for you to understand that splitting sexuality by faction - that saying that gay men are only in the Empire and out-out lesbians are only in the Republic - is not equal?

I understand, I just do not see what the big deal is. But that is me focusing more on the FACT that this game is supposed to be a STORY driven MMO, not a ROMANCE STORY driven one.

I understand, I just do not see what the big deal is. But that is me focusing more on the FACT that this game is supposed to be a STORY driven MMO, not a ROMANCE STORY driven one.

Why can't we have a story where the guy who's giving us orders/help is gay instead of straight? It's not that hard to make.

Romance happens in stories. They happen a lot in Bioware stories. Bioware is the leading game studio for LGB representation and options in their stories and games.

You're essentially saying that straight romances are "story" but gay romances aren't.

Edited by Tatile

Why can't we have a story where the guy who's giving us orders/help is gay instead of straight? It's not that hard to make.

if he is designed exclusively gay, fine. but if he was set straight then turned hero-sexual (Like people want with the current companions instead of asking for a new gay/lesbian companion) it looks weird if I do it before and he had not flirts for one of my male characters, then all of a sudden I see it on another, wierd.

If I want Romance, I read fanfictions of games I play or shows I watch. If I want a good story with the character I made, I play this game.

Romance happens in stories. They happen a lot in Bioware stories. Bioware is the leading game studio for LGB representation and options in their stories and games.

You're essentially saying that straight romances are "story" but gay romances aren't.

I would rather it be a MINOR aspect, something there but not all that I want in a story. I would be okay if Romance was not in the game at all.

People make too much of a fuss over something that is supposed to be inconsequential to the real story.

Edited by stormdrakelord

if he is designed exclusively gay, fine. but if he was set straight then turned hero-sexual (Like people want with the current companions instead of asking for a new gay/lesbian companion) it looks weird if I do it before and he had not flirts for one of my male characters, then all of a sudden I see it on another, wierd.

If I want Romance, I read fanfictions of games I play or shows I watch. If I want a good story with the character I made, I play this game.

So, you want us to stop asking for stuff we think is important because you think it's weird?

Yeah... no.

Kaliyo was desingned a bi, but there was no SGR in SWTOR when it launched. As I already mentioned, if the reason that Kaliyo cannot be romanced is that Kaliyo is not interested in female agents, I'm fine with it. However, if the reason simply is that they didn't want to make this kind of exception, it's a poor reason.

Also, people can always ask whatever they wish for.

Last time I checked, this was considered MMORPG. I especially bring up the RPG part. I'd love to be able to RPG characters that are not heterosexual, and do it by some other way than not [flirt]ing with anyone.

The problem with making existing Companions available for SGR is how they go about it. No matter what, people will complain. Whether they have to reroll or wait till after 50. either way Bioware loses.

Whatever you do or decide not to do, someone will complain. I can promise that. With this logic, Bioware also loses if they do nothing.

Whatever you do or decide not to do, someone will complain. I can promise that. With this logic, Bioware also loses if they do nothing.

Again, not telling people to quit asking, but I see that this has gone on for too long, and it seems that this is ALL people want in their story. If that is true, they why not have a gay/lesbian planet where the only story you have is a gay/lesbian romance one?

And yet, when they give you what you ask for, you complain that it is not what you want.

Except...they didn't.

The way I see it, none of you will be happy until everyone in the galaxy can be romanced by either gender, just so everyone can find someone that "fits" them.

"Everyone in the galaxy" =/= "all romanceable companions"

I also find these two sentences confusing...first, you state 'we' (I guess the people that post in this thread) got what we 'asked for' yet still aren't happy...then you go on to state what would make us happy (which isn't what we got).

The problem with making existing Companions available for SGR is how they go about it. No matter what, people will complain. Whether they have to reroll or wait till after 50. either way Bioware loses.

People complain if they don't do it and still 'lose'.

That's not a compelling argument.

Edited by stuffystuffs

When the guy's asking to put all gay and lesbian NPCs on a single planet so they aren't spread around the rest of the galaxy, getting their non-heterosexual-ness in the "real story", there's no talking to him. He's just a troll.

When the guy's asking to put all gay and lesbian NPCs on a single planet so they aren't spread around the rest of the galaxy, getting their non-heterosexual-ness in the "real story", there's no talking to him. He's just a troll.

okay the "gay planet" Thing was a joke, but was being used to point out how big of a fuss this has gotten. I do not care if people are asking for it since launch, it should not be a fuss/big issue in the story. Romance=/=the actual story of the game/character. IT should be a very minor detail at the most.

Again, not telling people to quit asking, but I see that this has gone on for too long, and it seems that this is ALL people want in their story. If that is true, they why not have a gay/lesbian planet where the only story you have is a gay/lesbian romance one?

The problem? That is NOT true.

Your problem solved?