Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New player needs suggestions for first character

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
New player needs suggestions for first character

panjakrejn
03.18.2013 , 03:17 PM | #1
OK, here's the kind of character I would be interested in:
PvE only - I don't PvP
Solo-able - I like to solo a lot and be very survivable
Kicks butt - There's nothing I like better than quickly taking out all that come at me. Don't count me as someone looking for a challenge - I'll take easy mode every time!
Ranged - I usually find dealing damage at range to be safer
And finally, awesome special effects - I love beams of light shooting out of my hands and stuff - in superhero games, I'm the blaster, in fantasy games I'm the Fire Mage.

One thing I don't like is a character that uses a lot of tech - like guns or mechanical traps - I prefer my character's power to come from within.

I don't really think I mind being either Empire or Republic - I hear you can play as principled in either side.

So, what class am I best to pick for awesome ranged DPS with great survivability that doesn't really on guns of mechanicals much - and that hopefully brings a lot of sizzle to the table when he struts his stuff?

Thanks

psandak
03.18.2013 , 03:48 PM | #2
OK in all candor there is no class that perfectly fits all your criteria. That being said, chances are you will most enjoy the Jedi Consular Sage (telekinetics spec) or the Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer (lightning spec). They are basically the same class mechanically (abilities have different names and the effects are different but the game mechanics are the same) just on different factions.

Two issues:
#1 - these classes start out with melee damage dealing. Through leveling, choosing your advanced class and skill tree selection you get more ranged abilities.
#2 - survivability. These classes are only able to wear light armor. That being said, with a tank companion that will not be a problem.

JimmyTheCannon
03.18.2013 , 05:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by panjakrejn View Post
PvE only - I don't PvP
Kicks butt - There's nothing I like better than quickly taking out all that come at me. Don't count me as someone looking for a challenge - I'll take easy mode every time!
And finally, awesome special effects - I love beams of light shooting out of my hands and stuff - in superhero games, I'm the blaster, in fantasy games I'm the Fire Mage.

One thing I don't like is a character that uses a lot of tech - like guns or mechanical traps - I prefer my character's power to come from within.

I don't really think I mind being either Empire or Republic - I hear you can play as principled in either side.

So, what class am I best to pick for awesome ranged DPS with great survivability that doesn't really on guns of mechanicals much - and that hopefully brings a lot of sizzle to the table when he struts his stuff?

Thanks
Yeah, the only ranged DPS with great survivability are Mercenaries/Commandos and Snipers/Gunslingers, and they use guns. Non-gun ranged DPS is just the Sorcerer/Sage, and they're light armor and very squishy but all of their attacks use the Force instead of a weapon.

You're going to have to choose: great survivability at range, or not a gun user?

AlixMV
04.26.2013 , 04:08 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by panjakrejn View Post
PvE only - I don't PvP

Thanks
Going to concur with the posters above, but if you're looking for 'awesome special effects', I think you're going to want to go Sith Sorceror. There is nothing quite like throwing purple lightning around. :>

The drawback to this is as the others mentioned: Sith Sorcerors (and Jedi Sages) are the squishiest classes in the game as the only classes that wear Light Armor. Their first companions are melee tanks, which mitigates that somewhat. Make sure to turn their tank stance on to soak up the aggro and take the attention off you!

I soloed a Sage Healer through to Level 50, no problem.

As for my Sith Sorceror, I played him in a group from 1-50, but I soloed 50-55 on Makeb (running with a DPS Companion from about Level 25 on). Duoing with a tank PC/healer Companion was a sick combination. We were underleveled, and stuff just melted. Soloing on Makeb, things sometimes got a little touch and go with the survivability, but I found it to be a great challenge of my gaming skills.

And, again: purple lightning of DEATH.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

PariahMessiah
04.26.2013 , 06:51 PM | #5
Gunslinger/Sniper. Sniper isn't really flashy but you are hands down the best ranged out there.