Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why nerf FE?

ZirusZero
04.23.2013 , 02:43 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoSeoul View Post
I think they should have left it. It was fun pushing him over the edge. It was a pretty simple concept. After the last (or even 3rd) 1vs1 kite him to the edge. Or I could force pull him and force push before anyone knew what happened. I think bosses are better when they have a mechanic and simply aren't tank and spank.

Also couldn't you defeat him in HM anyway if the dps was high enough?
You could even do it in SM all because of the doubt mechanic.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

NoFishing
04.23.2013 , 03:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by ZirusZero View Post
I expect the reason is that the glitch existed for so long, that most of the people don't actually know how the knockoff mechanic is supposed to work.

I ran this twice yesterday...first one took 3 attempts to kill him, first one failed because he enraged because people kept using their grenades/knockbacks one at a time (I was healing on an operative, so once I had used my grenade, I was too busy to go get another). On the second run, both DPS were surprised when I pre-emptively explained the 2-knockback thing before the fight.

So yeah, letting him be killed outright is probably necessary to deal with all the F2P and double-XP weekend idiots that never learned to do the fight correctly.

ZirusZero
04.23.2013 , 03:44 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
I expect the reason is that the glitch existed for so long, that most of the people don't actually know how the knockoff mechanic is supposed to work.

I ran this twice yesterday...first one took 3 attempts to kill him, first one failed because he enraged because people kept using their grenades/knockbacks one at a time (I was healing on an operative, so once I had used my grenade, I was too busy to go get another). On the second run, both DPS were surprised when I pre-emptively explained the 2-knockback thing before the fight.

So yeah, letting him be killed outright is probably necessary to deal with all the F2P and double-XP weekend idiots that never learned to do the fight correctly.
For the love of sanity, they should just hint it on the pulse grenades or whatever else to make sure we don't really need this nerf.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

Euphrosyne
04.23.2013 , 04:46 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ZirusZero View Post
Yeah, I don't actually remember the last time he was killed by knockback when I've played FE, it was always "killed by the jump glitch" and then that was patched and became "killed during the last one-on-one faceoff".
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

TralyanSavo
04.23.2013 , 05:25 PM | #25
You could always kill Malgus. When your team outgeared the instance, it would usually happen. That said, when it happened it didn't seem like the canonical ending.

The glitch kill method needed to be fixed but removing the need to push him off didn't need to be how they did it. All they had to do was remove the mechanic where he leaps to random party members and that would have fixed it. They could have added another mechanic to compensate. Something else could have the same effect (i.e. random damage on the party) that would fit with Malgus from the trailers (maybe a damage reflect, a saber throw, a lightning cast or maybe he could pull someone in and smack them with a saber).

Tossing Malgus off the side was awesome. It did a great job referencing the Star Wars movies. It left some doubt as to what happens to Malgus, who is really everyone's favorite SWTOR character and leaving the door open on him is pretty important. It wasn't even like it was hard to do if you knew the corner knockoff method.
Ryaffil (Shadow Tank, Main) - Ryaffia (Guardian) - Odinsun (Sentinel) - Mintass (Commando) - Ryaffam (Gunslinger)
Tralyan (Sorcerer) - Echeara (Juggernaut) - Cran (Mercenary) - Zobess (Operative)
Death Mark - The Shadowlands

Brittaany_Banks
04.24.2013 , 07:24 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Wallach View Post
While there are story implications to the effects of the change, I don't believe the justification for the change has anything at all to do with the story. It's a fight that has a long history of functionality issues and complaints (warranted or otherwise). Honestly the idea that a year and a half after they released this content they would go back and change the functionality of a boss encounter to address "player buzz" about the fate of the character - especially when that very thing isn't problematic in any capacity - is kind of laughable.
Being this MMO is ridiculously story based more than any other MMO on the market I'd say it is a fair argument to suggest this was done as a story telling "fix"
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?
#GamerGate

AlixMV
04.24.2013 , 04:23 PM | #27
I, for one, welcome the change.

The theory I had? Running this FP with 55s makes the last phase of the fight tediously long. I ran this last weekend with four high level (54-55) toons and we had him down to 0% health even before he finished with the one-on-one phase. Then it took forever for him to decide to mosey down to the catwalk so we could push him off. He should have been dead about twice over by then, given how much DPS we were putting out.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

xOxDarkyxOx
04.24.2013 , 08:35 PM | #28
I always found the knockback kill to be extremely buggy. Often Malgus would not follow the players from the stairwell even if they were out of LoS or further than 30m away. Had to literally get behind him to push him away from the stairwell, wait for CD, then push again, wait cd, then push off the edge.

space_mechanic
04.25.2013 , 06:22 AM | #29
Was always very disappointed about easiness of the whole fight. Now this. Horrible.