Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Bug??] Did /Whisper just get changed???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Bug??] Did /Whisper just get changed???
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Khalhazar
04.24.2013 , 03:23 PM | #21
Needs a way to opt-out. Even more, needs to be opt-in. Bioware used to be better at security and privacy.

Edit: let me explain a bit more. This is very convenient, and it's good that they are thinking about chat problems (because maybe it means the chatbugs will finally be fixed?) However, there are serious privacy implications of this feature. Nobody can ever have a secret alt from anyone ever, anymore.

Does Semah have a secret bank alt? What if you want to test to see if RP character X is really person Y? Now you can find out. With a single /tell.

It also allows for harassment: if X is ignoring Y, and X has an alt Z that is not ignoring Y, Y can send a tell to X which will be routed to Z with no problems.

Unacceptable. Needs to be opt-in at per-legacy granularity at least. Needs to protect against harassment. Needs to be thought out better. Needs immediate dev comment.
Semah Valerian <Some Sith and a Spy> | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony

Joshmaul
04.24.2013 , 03:42 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Khalhazar View Post
Needs to protect against harassment. Needs to be thought out better. Needs immediate dev comment.
And needs to not cost Cartel Coins. One should not have to pay for privacy.
Darth Joshmaul
"Because at the end of the day...I'm the one holding the friggin' lightsaber, pal."

EricMusco
04.24.2013 , 03:56 PM | #23 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

I apologize as this was not intended to be implemented, which is why we did not have a patch note for it. We can completely understand that there are some privacy concerns around this right now. If someone whispers you through your main while you are logged into an alt it will not actually show them the name of your alt unless you respond. We understand this will let them know that you are online, however, if you do not wish for them to know your alts named, simply do not respond to the whisper.

We will be working on fixing this in a future update, I will have more information as I have it.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Khalhazar
04.24.2013 , 04:04 PM | #24
Eric, thanks for the reply. However, here's another case. X is the name I know, Y is an alt I suspect is them.

"Just don't reply" isn't a protection when autoafk messages are in game:

/tell X .
To [X]: .
Y is away from keyboard.

steave
04.24.2013 , 04:32 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

I apologize as this was not intended to be implemented, which is why we did not have a patch note for it. We can completely understand that there are some privacy concerns around this right now. If someone whispers you through your main while you are logged into an alt it will not actually show them the name of your alt unless you respond. We understand this will let them know that you are online, however, if you do not wish for them to know your alts named, simply do not respond to the whisper.

We will be working on fixing this in a future update, I will have more information as I have it.

-eric
Uhm...how do you accidentally implement something like this?

chuixupu
04.24.2013 , 04:42 PM | #26
I'm guessing they were tweaking around with it while in development phase and someone just forgot to turn it off on release or something like that.

I'm actually disappointed that this is not intended. I rather like it. :P But I understand if people don't want everyone to know what their alts are. It doesn't seem to work for everyone in every case, though.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

DarthTexas
04.24.2013 , 04:47 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

-eric
By fixing, you mean improving right? This is a great feature if done right.

Covenant of the Phoenix - Galactic Republic PvE
Official Site - Recruitment Post

chuixupu
04.24.2013 , 04:50 PM | #28
It is something probably in the works but not ready for release for obvious reasons.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

AlixMV
04.24.2013 , 04:52 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Khalhazar View Post
Eric, thanks for the reply. However, here's another case. X is the name I know, Y is an alt I suspect is them.

"Just don't reply" isn't a protection when autoafk messages are in game:

/tell X .
To [X]: .
Y is away from keyboard.
^^^ Do Not Want.
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Jazhi

Khalhazar
04.24.2013 , 04:52 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTexas View Post
By fixing, you mean improving right? This is a great feature if done right.
Yup. This. Give us adequate controls over it and it'd be great. I'm not ************ about the feature in general, just the lack of controls (and lack of warning, and lack of opt-in).

@AlixMV: You can also use login/out info to probe who is who. If I suspect X is Y, I can /friend X and send /tell Y ... when they log out. It's not perfect, but...