Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Romance with Kira Carsen

Vego_Mohenjo
04.23.2013 , 02:37 AM | #1
I see several threads on this topic, but my specific issue doesn't seem to be addressed, so I thought I'd post a new thread.

The issue I'm having is that I'm a Roleplayer, trying to work into the romance plot very gingerly. The character is supposed to be a rigidly jedi Jedi, follows the code dogmatically and so on. Think Warhammer 40K Space Marine. That being the case, he would resist a romance because it would be against the Jedi Code.

However, I'd still like to play through it as part of his personal story arc (in which he slowly becomes less rigid, more compassionate, etc - or perhaps loses control completely and surrenders to passion? I haven't entirely decided), that he eventually enters into the romance plot.

My question has to do with how often I can play hard to get. I've resisted flirts that are unmistakably romance flirts, and taken a few that could be interpreted a little more vaguely. I've just finished chapter 1 and am on my ship with her now. I feel like I'm at a crossroads, that I have to either dive into the romance (which still seems out of character at this point), or miss out on it entirely. Basically, I need to know how this conversation plays out later on. If I take the option that I'm too fond of her (54 point affection gain), the conversation ends with no kiss, and she seems disappointed. I'm inclined to go that route because it seems more in character, but I'm worried that it would mean no further opportunity to pursue a romance plot.

Any thoughts? Advice? Rationalization? I feel kind of stuck, and any ideas would be welcome.

DarthGile
04.23.2013 , 06:00 AM | #2
Playing hard to get with her is a nice dynamic. I did the same thing... up to a point. My character initially saw her as someone who was unable to take things seriously. To him, she came across as over-zealous, over-confident, and getting in his way (while still being proper and respectful about it). I told her "No" to helping me with the kidnappers. I lectured her after she tricked the kidnapper to get information. I questioned Satele when Kira offered to come with me to Ord Mantell. etc etc. Safe to say, I wasn't her buddy at the start.

Carefully planned, however, I started falling for her. Various examples like the threat of losing her on Ord Mantell, to her spilling her guts about the truth of being a Child of the Emperor, to her pining over me for sticking up for her during the Council Meeting and for saving Master Kiwiiks... many events in Act 1 easily led my character up to start caring for her without realizing it. Inevitably the lead up and finally the kiss sealed the deal. And oddly enough (based on future mail messages), she mentions falling for me since Coruscant. It's a nice turn-around to realize that when I was pushing the "I'm a better Jedi than you, stand aside" segment, it wound up making me more desirable to her.

I say do not risk it too much. Bioware has hidden "locks" after enough flirts are dismissed or ignored. RP-wise, Kira has proven her respect and undying loyalty at the end of Chapter 3, by completely ridding the Emperor from influence.

Even as a goodie goodie Jedi, you'd have to look at her now with some sort of intrigue. This padawan just denied the most powerful Sith in the galaxy. Not only that, but even after being Knighted by the Council, she continues to want to stay at my side. Why? I'm assuming your Jedi isn't too dense when it comes to reading Kira's witty and suggestive comments.

What may also be a good hook is do a few dark side options that are.. well.. understandable. Prove to the galaxy that you started indulging in your emotions before taking up a full fledged romance with that red-haired beauty.

Bytemite
04.23.2013 , 08:07 AM | #3
I was unsure about the romance stories myself, especially because I played a female smuggler at first and couldn't stand Corso even as a lightsider. And then the flirts in the jedi knight story line that start off the romance just after the end of act 1 come off as really awkward. But Kira is an interesting character and I decided I'd be missing out on a nice chunk of story if I didn't try.

In story wise, my explanation is really the circumstances. My character kinda always had this friendly teasing back and forth banter with her. So there never really was a teacher/student aspect and she never seemed like a subordinate, so my Knight never felt like he had any right to lecture her on her opinions. Plus even if he disagreed he'd be too polite to say so. So he ended up listening to her a lot and eventually conceeding that she had some valid points.

At some point harmless banter became flirting without him really noticing that he was doing that. All the problems she had going on and her real story got him caring about her more then just as a friend, and she started dropping hints the size of a battle cruiser that eventually became so obvious even he picked up on them. And then she liked him enough that she overlooked how terrible he is at the turning up the heat come-on thing. He was raised a Jedi Knight, of course he'd be terrible at it.

Then act one ended and they were both a little messed up trying to deal with what happened, combine with being there and comfort and maybe some admittedly questionable judgment, and there you have it.

Quote:
Basically, I need to know how this conversation plays out later on. If I take the option that I'm too fond of her (54 point affection gain), the conversation ends with no kiss, and she seems disappointed.
Well, I gave her a gold necklace as a gift just before this conversation, rp-wise as a recognition of her becoming a Knight, and she didn't get any affection gain. After this conversation, she started to like those kinds of gifts. So I think that conversation really is the make it or break it moment for the relationship, and you might have to go all in here or miss out.

DarthGile
04.23.2013 , 08:33 AM | #4
Yep. Many agree that the Jedi Knight male's romance with Kira is the best in the game. Forbidden romance has a track record for being the most intriguing.

Bytemite
04.23.2013 , 12:07 PM | #5
There was a moment on Coruscant where I imagined the knight having to explain that the social I white formal dress decked out with commendation mods was honestly the best gear they could afford. Kira would probably be somewhat skeptical.

Then there's the people who put her in the slave girl outfits. My in game guess is that they must be a lot better at Force Persuasion.

GAG_Caedus
04.24.2013 , 02:58 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthGile View Post
Yep. Many agree that the Jedi Knight male's romance with Kira is the best in the game. Forbidden romance has a track record for being the most intriguing.
Yeah, definitely the best romance in my opinion. I finished JK story twice already and now I'm doing it the 3rd time. Tried it different way, like ignoring at first and then falling for her or accepting jedi code and ending relationship. Now making some kind of love at first sight.

errant_knight
04.26.2013 , 08:38 AM | #7
Just beware of turning the romance off. You have to flirt to get it started and you can end it easier than you may think you can. I went this route with my jedi and managed not to lock the romance 'off'', but didn't fare so well with my first sith warrior. He was a bit too cautious about making sure his fomer slave didn't feel forced and lost the opportunity to romance her at all. Light side, of course--not a dark side problem

Vego_Mohenjo
04.26.2013 , 04:20 PM | #8
My problem is that I seem to make characters who would not have anything to do with romance. My Agent is a cold, emotionless machine, my Jedi is a fire and brimstome dogmatic Jedi, my Warrior is a raging bully whose only interest is blood and death...

And then there's my Smuggler, who is a hound...