Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which attacks are reduced by Shield/Absorb now?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which attacks are reduced by Shield/Absorb now?

GrymEdm
04.21.2013 , 04:09 PM | #1
It is my understanding that all direct attacks are subject to shield/absorb now. Does that include unmentioned attack types like Elemental/Internal? Also, can I mitigate AoE damage or DoTs with s/a? Thanks in advance.

dipstik
04.21.2013 , 04:27 PM | #2
you cant mitigate internal or elemental with defense shield or absorb. you can resist it and you can apply your internal resisatnce, but thats it.

you can resist force/tech kinetic energy. if your resist roll fails you can shield froce/tech kinetic energy damage. along with damage reduction from armor.

you can defend, shield and absorb melee/ranged kinetic and energy damage. along with damage reduction from armor.

Mavery
04.21.2013 , 04:39 PM | #3
You can shield all damage types except for those classified as internal / elemental. In other words, you can now shield kinetic / energy attacks that appear as yellow damage (yellow text, basically). You couldn't do this before.

Defense is just white kinetic / energy.

You can shield substantially more attacks than you can defend. It's a really nice change.

GrymEdm
04.21.2013 , 04:45 PM | #4
Thank you for the replies folks! Sounds like no DoTs are mitigated, but AoE/Direct doesn't matter so long as it's the right type. Appreciate the insights.

steave
04.21.2013 , 07:24 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GrymEdm View Post
Thank you for the replies folks! Sounds like no DoTs are mitigated, but AoE/Direct doesn't matter so long as it's the right type. Appreciate the insights.
If the dot is doing kinetic or energy damage, yes it can.
Looking at recent tank parses, near enough to everything (a few very minor exceptions where a slight portion of the damage is I/E) directed at tanks in TFB and S&V is e/r, so it can be shielded. About 25% of that is f/t, the rest is m/r and can thus be defended against too.