Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low FPS - Poor Performance

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediJonesJr
04.20.2013 , 12:32 PM | #131
if this game had been a car it would have been recalled..

FPS is important in PvP and same thing applies to PvE, I have played many mmo's and enjoyed pvp most in wow till the bots overrun the battle grounds i have refused to do swtor pvp do to the fps issues i have read over the last few weeks.

Synopsys - My overall view on the Current Gaming industry not just this company.

This response is not attacking bioware i truly believe they want to resolve this but the big parent company is to blame for the lackluster customer service and what i am about to say should apply to all consumers of gaming content we need better protection for gaming consumers who in many cases are ignored by those who market
these titles.

I'll be contacting my local reps to see if there is a way to protect consumers from companies who sell software or gaming console product and do not fix issues or at least address them in a manner showing they have true concern for customers.

(We do know that companies are protected when it comes to software or games for consoles once the package is open there is no refund, i say if a company releases a game that is broken and not fixed in a timely manner should be some sort of refund or legal consumer action taken to prevent fraud in the market.
right now they got the rights we need to have some also.)

the gaming companies need to be held accountable for bad product not just based on reviews but on performance and customer service of software they package and sell and have copyrighted content in which they market time to treat customers better.

I think bioware has a gold mine with swtor if they would just get a handle on customer service and resolve some of the long standing game issues and this thread is one of them.

During beta i did not see much of this issue, there were early issue after game was released that were not fixed over night but were eventually weeks after so keep hope alive at least for now, maybe they will fix or see a big drop and something even f2p can't save along with credibility.

again this is not attack on bioware just an observation but i to see these major fps spikes that i did not see a year ago.

i really like swtor and i hope they will really work harder on customer service gaining trust back and less time working on same sex relationships when game needs fixes of more importance they can go back to cosmetic when game is fully playable.
Will Return After Lunch and lunch is never over.....

spectreclees
04.21.2013 , 03:08 AM | #132
Morbidsouls has a thread on ways to improve performance:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=619492&page=2

Check it out.

Fiesbert
04.23.2013 , 01:58 AM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
Morbidsouls has a thread on ways to improve performance:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=619492&page=2

Check it out.
You didn't read. Did all of those already and it would be quite an odd problem if performance issues are confined to SWTOR would it?
There is a video of my machine running Witcher 2, Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and SWTOR. SWTOR having the worse graphics and sound runs the worst by far. Explain that!

OwenBrooks
04.23.2013 , 02:07 AM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by Fiesbert View Post
You didn't read. Did all of those already and it would be quite an odd problem if performance issues are confined to SWTOR would it?
There is a video of my machine running Witcher 2, Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and SWTOR. SWTOR having the worse graphics and sound runs the worst by far. Explain that!
He is just trying to help as different settings help different games with different systems, hopefully the video driver gets tweaked as well as Bioware doing the same, why do you think when say Nvidia release a new driver the patch notes say something like XX% increases for a game.

SWTOR is very heavy rendering wise though, the idea of the spectreclees post is to help make it more playable rather then as a solution. You should take his suggestion as such and not have a go at him for trying to help fellow players.

Yper
04.23.2013 , 03:28 AM | #135
@OP:

Quote:
CPU: CPU usage overall will never reach over 30-35%, and never moves higher or lower when receiving the lowest fps, temperature sits at around 50C. Not I have disabled core parking also, this may reduce stutter ever so slightly, but does not help overall. I have also tried disabling HT, this does not help at all.

GPU: GPU usage never exceeds about 50% unless loading maps. Even whilst receiving the lowest fps GPU usage will not move above or below that mark. Temperature never exceeds 53-54C. Note, I have also tried forcing constant voltages and clock speeds to this model temporarily, this does not help. The highest utilized VRAM sits at around 800MB.
There is something not right with your system as your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU.

See, I play SWTOR @1920X1080, max settings (Graphics Quality preset: Very High) and my CPU is a November 2007 Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 overclocked at 3.92GHz, and my GPU is a NIVIDIA GTX 580 SOC (also slightly overclocked) and I get no bottleneck.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9...2230131053.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8...9234408011.jpg

^^The above two screenies were taken yesterday. The monitoring software is EVGA PRECISION VERSION 3.04. As you can see, the GPU has got 99% utilization, and in the first screenshot 1115 MB of GPU Video Memory is used while in the second 1239MB of GPU Video Memory is being used.

Link to my rig here:

http://www.overclock.net/lists/display/view/id/4640824

My rig is virtually the same since March 2008 when I built it, minus the GPU and one HDD.

Further, my CPU utilization is usually at 50% and it ocassionally jumps to 90%, My memory utilization is at 95%.

I recommend the following:

1. Overclock your CPU around 4 GHz.
2. Overclock your memory to the highest stable setting your board will allow.
3. Adjust your tRD setting (Google tRD setting) through Memset software if your board does not allow.
4. Make sure you have the game installed in separate hard disk partition with nothing else in it, make sure that your hard drive is defragmented.

DISCLAIMER: No two computers will overclock the same, even if they're identical. Often, it's several different factors, including luck, that allow some systems to overclock more than others. There are absolutely no guarantees in overclocking. Despite your computer skills and knowledge, you are dealing with random chance to a degree.

Understand the risks of overclocking before you proceed and know that it can stress your system, and cause data loss. Please do not attempt to overclock your system unless you are willing to assume all associated risks.

NOTE: OVERCLOCKING MAY DAMAGE YOUR SYSTEM

Hope this helps. Serious overclock is the only way if you want top performance at max settings.

MikeTheDuke
04.23.2013 , 07:06 AM | #136
The amount of RAM is of no use, this game is 32bit, so 12GB v 8GB isn't the issue. A couple of things to note.

1. Nvidia - Switch your PhysX processing to be from Automatic to your GPU. Every driver update this switches back. Good CPUs like i7 or i5 with large number of cores will have the PhysX run off the CPU, this is slower. Switch this over there will be a nice boost there.
2. DirectX 9c this might sound crazy, but it helps. I mean, as simple as it sounds, but the web package of DirectX 9c doesn't include everything, you should use
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

These might help the situation a little. I was in a similar position, but thankfully mine was hardware, but I still do the PhysX and the DirectX update.

You do not need to overclock your system to get this to run. The system you have is fine. I run mine with everything very high or as high as it can be except the number of visible characters I think it is called, as I don't need to have that set too high.
I post about Star Wars on my blog. Check it out
http://xnagamedeveloper.wordpress.co...ory/star-wars/
MikeDodgers @YouTube

JediCahlwyn
04.23.2013 , 07:15 AM | #137
I do not overclock.

I have an i7 2600k cpu, gtx 465 vid card, 8 gigs ram, normal HHD. Nothing special aside from knowing how to configure my PC and perform proper maintenance. I don't load it up with junk software. I use Avira for virus protection (so none of that Norton bloat).

I average say on the Fleet 70-111 fps.
I average in Warzones 50-70 fps.
I average in Ops 60-90 fps.

In all three situations I don't notice ANY difference aside from what the meter says. The game ROLLS for me. My wife has a better rig and it runs even better and loads twice as fast (mine loads faster than average but she has a SSD so it goes quicker for her).

I have all settings on max except I put "visible number of people" to medium not for performance but because I wanted to remove clutter on the fleet. Oh and I turned off all nameplates except enemies for the same reason.

I would say it is your computer, hardware or software or something, or the ISP or a breakdown between you and Bioware's servers.
--Master Endric Cahlwyn--
<The Womp Rats> of The Shadowlands
Jedi Guardian 55 For The Republic!

DaftVaduhhh
04.24.2013 , 09:37 PM | #138
There's some conjecture as to whether or not BW (since beta) coded in something which effectively disables WDDM in Windows 7 & 8, which utilises features such as:

Virtualised video memory
Scheduling of the GPU threads by the OS
Cross-process sharing of Direct3D surfaces

Why you would disable native OS enhancements is beyond me, but the game seems to work better if you put it into Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, as ToR doesn't seem to engage its workaround when it thinks the OS is WinXP.

Just set that as your compatibility mode for the Launcher & the game exe.

If people who haven't could also mention their OS, their GPU (including the amount of VRAM), I think we'll get the bottom of this pretty quickly and send a message to whoever is still in charge of optimising this godforsaken game engine.

All of this points to the idea that this game now requires over 1 GB of VRAM and has severe issues with compression and optimisation of shader instructions as well as a general failure to allow for texture loading in the background without severely impacting overall FPS. A professional game company should be ashamed of this kind of shoddy work.

Sending some new code over to both major GPU companies would go a long well to help as well.
Daftvaduhh - 55 Shadow - GM of <Beyond Redemption> (The Harbinger)
La-femme - 55 Sage, Woklobster - 55 Guardian, Opfreely - 55 Sentinel
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger

spectreclees
04.24.2013 , 10:58 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by DaftVaduhhh View Post
There's some conjecture as to whether or not BW (since beta) coded in something which effectively disables WDDM in Windows 7 & 8, which utilises features such as:

Virtualised video memory
Scheduling of the GPU threads by the OS
Cross-process sharing of Direct3D surfaces

Why you would disable native OS enhancements is beyond me, but the game seems to work better if you put it into Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, as ToR doesn't seem to engage its workaround when it thinks the OS is WinXP.

Just set that as your compatibility mode for the Launcher & the game exe.

If people who haven't could also mention their OS, their GPU (including the amount of VRAM), I think we'll get the bottom of this pretty quickly and send a message to whoever is still in charge of optimising this godforsaken game engine.

All of this points to the idea that this game now requires over 1 GB of VRAM and has severe issues with compression and optimisation of shader instructions as well as a general failure to allow for texture loading in the background without severely impacting overall FPS. A professional game company should be ashamed of this kind of shoddy work.

Sending some new code over to both major GPU companies would go a long well to help as well.
Since the patch before this one having SP3 mode on actually makes the game crash, or it did so many had to disable it.

DaftVaduhhh
04.25.2013 , 09:11 PM | #140
I'd been having slow downs since 2.0 that really came to the fore in PvP, so I flicked it on (was after 2.0.0a was released); no crashes, no issues, just better performance.

I saw the people in the memory leak fix thread mentioning that issue, but give it a try and if it fails, just turn it back off, submit a dxdiag and anything else that can help them target the issue at the back end (in about 6-8 months).
Daftvaduhh - 55 Shadow - GM of <Beyond Redemption> (The Harbinger)
La-femme - 55 Sage, Woklobster - 55 Guardian, Opfreely - 55 Sentinel
Drworm - 55 Commando, Rollface - 55 Vanguard, Leeloo'd - 55 Scoundrel, Rolling-deep - 55 Gunslinger