Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm Finding it Hard to Play a Dark Side Character, Suggestions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm Finding it Hard to Play a Dark Side Character, Suggestions?

Berronaxftw
04.20.2013 , 11:52 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Interesting, I'd like to know what you would do in the following situation...

You've confront a pair of Jedi Masters in a unstable cave on Hoth. One of the masters has been trapped here for many years and yet to recover, yet he has become powerful and a threat to the Empire. You defeat the first master, yet the second bargains for his life. Claiming he is no longer concerned with the war and has no intention of returning. Do you: kill both masters anyway, or spare them and collapse the cave, leaving the Jedi to continue his transcendence?
I would spare him, and then place spies to watch him and if he made one move against the empire I would find him and kill him for betraying my trust.

Berronaxftw
04.20.2013 , 12:05 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Its not stupid as long as it makes u stronger in Dark Side. It's better to have 1 powerful sith than 100 weak servants.
those 100 "weak servants" could become your loyal followers if you treat them right, loyalty inspires heroism and those weak servants could become formidable warriors

AelixVII
04.20.2013 , 12:47 PM | #23
Is it bad that I find it easy?

Saying that though, it's also because it works for who my characters are.

But I found dark side Bounty Hunter worked better than Sith characters. With Sith, it just feels all too predictable: force choke this guy, kill this Jedi etc etc... but with the Hunter, it really felt like you're playing a ruthless contractor.

So I just think of it as, that's who my characters are, I'm not thinking 'I wouldn't do this IRL so I can't do it here'.

Berronaxftw
04.20.2013 , 12:53 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
I'm not thinking 'I wouldn't do this IRL so I can't do it here'.
That's my curse, I can't help but think like this whenever a make a character ><

Beniboybling
04.20.2013 , 12:54 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AelixVII View Post
Is it bad that I find it easy?
Lol, I was having the same thoughts. I have to admit I do enjoy electrocuting and force choking people.

Beniboybling
04.20.2013 , 12:55 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Berronaxftw View Post
I would spare him, and then place spies to watch him and if he made one move against the empire I would find him and kill him for betraying my trust.
Surely though that's a waste of resources? (Yup, I'm goading you into a moral debate here )

jedimasterjac
04.20.2013 , 01:04 PM | #27
Okay, I'll answer this quickly.

If you have difficulty playing a Dark Side character, don't be one. This is an MMORPG. Emphasis on the Roleplaying-Game part, it's critical you remember that. If a playstyle (or "life style") isn't fitting for you, then don't do it. If you don't enjoy playing the game that way, then you aren't playing the game right. The point of RP is to pretend to be what you want to be. To end this quickly, don't do what's uncomfortable.
Quote: Originally Posted by Koozebane View Post
This isn't a couple of goobers out for some kicks. This is organized large team warfare by a single guild in a PVE zone.

Berronaxftw
04.20.2013 , 02:15 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
Okay, I'll answer this quickly.

If you have difficulty playing a Dark Side character, don't be one. This is an MMORPG. Emphasis on the Roleplaying-Game part, it's critical you remember that. If a playstyle (or "life style") isn't fitting for you, then don't do it. If you don't enjoy playing the game that way, then you aren't playing the game right. The point of RP is to pretend to be what you want to be. To end this quickly, don't do what's uncomfortable.
True, but it's just I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of stuff

Beniboybling
04.20.2013 , 02:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Berronaxftw View Post
True, but it's just I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of stuff
Then perhaps you should approach the story differently. Your original backstory is a good one, but here's another, one the SW story itself facilitates for:

You are a Sith, but you are not evil. Upon beginning your training you quickly became disenchanted with the Sith ways (as you as a person have). But instead of defecting from the Empire which you hold in such high esteem, you attempt to reform it from the inside, by rising in power and influence and making yourself an example to others. It is not always necessarily to slaughter innocents, torture, back stab and betray, your enemies can be used, converted to the other side. Have you played KOTOR 2? If so adopt Kreia's policy 'do not adhere to a single idea' adapt to the situation as you see fit and do what you think is right. I'm sure you'll end up with a very interesting character who if rolled male, gives a lot of options for Vette and LS Jaesa. (LS Jaesa will be a boon to developing your character and emphasising on this stand point, as her philosophy would mimic yours.)

SI can be done in a similar way, though I'd suggest SW first. Just remember, playing LS Empire works a lot better than playing DS Republic, you'll soon find that. LS DS choices are there for a reason, so you can develop your own personal character, and that's whoever you want it to be.

Berronaxftw
04.20.2013 , 02:50 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Then perhaps you should approach the story differently. Your original backstory is a good one, but here's another, one the SW story itself facilitates for:

You are a Sith, but you are not evil. Upon beginning your training you quickly became disenchanted with the Sith ways (as you as a person have). But instead of defecting from the Empire which you hold in such high esteem, you attempt to reform it from the inside, by rising in power and influence and making yourself an example to others. It is not always necessarily to slaughter innocents, torture, back stab and betray, your enemies can be used, converted to the other side. Have you played KOTOR 2? If so adopt Kreia's policy 'do not adhere to a single idea' adapt to the situation as you see fit and do what you think is right. I'm sure you'll end up with a very interesting character who if rolled male, gives a lot of options for Vette and LS Jaesa. (LS Jaesa will be a boon to developing your character and emphasising on this stand point, as her philosophy would mimic yours.)

SI can be done in a similar way, though I'd suggest SW first. Just remember, playing LS Empire works a lot better than playing DS Republic, you'll soon find that. LS DS choices are there for a reason, so you can develop your own personal character, and that's whoever you want it to be.
Very nice idea thanks.

Part of me wants dark side jaesa simply cus.. well that's the only way to romance her and vette is a bit lame ><