Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Impossible to fully gear HK-51 For Republic because of Imperial-exclusive mods.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Impossible to fully gear HK-51 For Republic because of Imperial-exclusive mods.

Aelther
04.19.2013 , 10:45 PM | #1
BioWare has been discriminating droid companions since launch,
Spoiler
however after 2.0 things are worse than ever.

Every single armoring and barrel is restricted. Well fine I understand, you want people to waste more time gearing, however because even bracer and belt armorings are restricted now, there is no way to put them in any custom droid part. Also offhand barrels are not restricted to "general offhand" they are restricted to shotgun, knife, etc. Why would you do this!? Now only Imperials can give their HK a good end-game barrel, while Republic players are left in the dark. Why is HK-51 using a knife in the first place? Why can't he be using an offhand that both factions have access to like Generator or a Pistol?

Also as some people have mentioned these restrictions affect a lot more companions. For example why mainhand barrels are restricted to "Mainhand (ranged)"? What will that accomplish, why can't it just be "Mainhand"? is Guardian going to use a barrel in his lightsaber... with aim in it? I don't think so. So the only thing it accomplishes is prevents that aim barrel to be given to a melee companion that uses techstaff with aim.

There are similar problems on other companions, for example for "gunslinger" type companions on imp side and "sniper" type companions on rep side.

It seems to me like these restrictions on mods have not been given a lot of thought before being implemented.

There are multiple way you can fix this, here's just a few:
1) Transform all Shotgun, pistol, knife offhand restrictions into a single general "offhand" restriction and add proper legacy offhands, such as shield, generator, etc (because legacy pistols and lightsabers act as both main-hand and off-hand). Also update all armoring restrictions to equivalent droid parts, for example chest/primary core, legs/secondary core, head/sensor unit, belt/part etc.

2) Let HK-51 use a offhand generator and / or offhand pistol in addition to that knife. Also update all armoring restrictions to equivalent droid parts, for example chest/primary core, legs/secondary core, head/sensor unit, wrist/part etc.

3) Put a knife with underworld grade mods, which would be restricted to HK-51 to basic commendation vendor's inventory. Also allow droids to wear humanoid shells, like belt, chest, etc.

4) Create new underworld grade non-moddable droid sets for cybertechs AND Underworld grade shields annd knife restricted to droids for armstechs.

5) Let armstechs and artificers craft some sort of restriction removal kits, which would remove restrictions from barrels and hilts, but would make them usable ONLY by companions. Also let cybertechs craft some sort of droidification kits which would remove restrictions from armorings, but make them usable only by droids.

In my opinnion options two and five are best ones. We get to gear up our droids and other affected companions on both faction equally, you can keep your restrictions and you will also sink some credits because we will need to transfer a lot of mods. (And you will also improve crafting a bit if you do something similar to option 5).

Anyway it is up to you what you wanna do, but please do something, because this is unacceptable.

Monoth
04.19.2013 , 11:15 PM | #2
Can't you take the barrel from the Imp side and put it in a legacy weapon and mail it to your toon on the Republic Side?
F2P is like driving on a long stretch of highway with toll booths every 1/2 mile

Aelther
04.19.2013 , 11:17 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Monoth View Post
Can't you take the barrel from the Imp side and put it in a legacy weapon and mail it to your toon on the Republic Side?
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelther View Post
Also offhand barrels <...> are restricted to shotgun, knife, etc.
Sure, just give me a legacy knife, when you find one. Oh wait...

tman_ac
04.19.2013 , 11:47 PM | #4
I have to agree, as a Rep you overall feel left behind in many ways in this game. It starts when you compare the Rep fleet with the Imperial and goes on to the issue with the Rep HK.

Actually I like to gear all my companions and noticed this discrepancy as well. I am not starting to argue that all these restrictions are dumb in the first place, but I expect BW to find a solution for us Rep players.
T3-M4 - Seven Stuck
Dragonslayer The Eternal Warrior Gate Crasher Conquerer of the Dread Fortress

Aelther
04.19.2013 , 11:50 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by tman_ac View Post
I am not starting to argue that all these restrictions are dumb in the first place
I'm not saying that restrictions are completely dumb, cause I understand that they want the content to last longer, however the part about droids not being able to use that gear, while humanoid companions can wear it IS DUMB.

I mean you do a long quest chain to get a cool companion and then you find out that all your organic companions are much better, because your droid can't wear anything good. On top of that you learn that only imps can give him both weapons.

Dassvidanja
04.19.2013 , 11:57 PM | #6
I stopped reading at the bit about favouritism. I think that is utter bilge and have heard similar things in every MMO there I have ever played. Horde are favoured over Alliance in WoW, Minmatar are favoured in Eve... Jeez... I think people have a skewed perception.
Give me one, just one logical reason why they would favour one over the other? I'm intrigued.

Aelther
04.19.2013 , 11:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Dassvidanja View Post
I stopped reading at the bit about favouritism. I think that is utter bilge and have heard similar things in every MMO there I have ever played. Horde are favoured over Alliance in WoW, Minmatar are favoured in Eve... Jeez... I think people have a skewed perception.
Give me one, just one logical reason why they would favour one over the other? I'm intrigued.
Maybe you should read the whole thing then? I'm not saying it is favouritism I said either that or developers do not thing everything through. Also seeing how only imps can give him knife barrels + all the previous bugs which were in empires favour kinda suggests favouritism, even if that's just a coincidence.

Morgani
04.20.2013 , 12:11 AM | #8
HK was such a let down. I don't understand why he has a vibroknife instead of a generator. To bring vibroknives onto the Republic side? We didn't need them, thanks.

I have him on one character and never bothered opening him up for anyone else. He doesn't talk during story missions where other companions do, his story is boring, and he's near impossible to gear up while leveling.

Now my 55 can't give him best in slot.

I should have left you on ice, HK.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Jeweledleah
04.20.2013 , 12:14 AM | #9
I've given up trying to gear droids even prior to 2.0 why bother messing with mods for SCORPIO when I could just buy bounty hunter piece for Kaliyo and call it a day? as adorable as FOREX or Teseven are they just never seemed worth it to me.

I agree though that it sucks that republic has an extra disadvantage there and I like solution 2 myself. just allow HK to use generators.

TalkingDinosaur
04.20.2013 , 12:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelther View Post
Sure, just give me a legacy knife, when you find one. Oh wait...
Didn't BW also patch sending mods through legacy weapons?
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11