Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm Finding it Hard to Play a Dark Side Character, Suggestions?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm Finding it Hard to Play a Dark Side Character, Suggestions?

Berronaxftw
04.19.2013 , 07:55 PM | #1
As the title says.. I want to play a dark side character because I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of lore if I don't.. But every time I try to play a dark side character, I get sucked into my characters story and I can't help but make the same decisions I would most likely make myself..

I'm all about helping people and saving them because I just think it's the right thing to do i'm a charitable person and I believe that whomever I help will one day repay me.

I find killing potential allies, useful people & innocents just pointless and wrong.. But isn't that what being a dark sider is all about?

I really am missing out on a lot of lore such as dark side jaesa & general conversation choices.. My only idea to play a dark sider is as follows.
-----------------------------------
I'm forced into the sith order (or any other order for that matter) and I am corrupted by my trainers and twisted into a weapon of hate and cruelty, not by my choice, but through manipulation and so on. And anyway that sends me pretty dark and I end up killing most people not because I want to, but because I fear if I don't I would let my superiors down and they would kill me or someone I know.. I'm just trying to survive and it's the only way.

So I go on.. killing and deceiving, betraying, lying and bringing people to my side as my masters command.. I still refuse to kill innocent civilians or young people, because even if i'm ordered to, something deep within me stops me from doing it.

I am not beyond redemption, and someday I will turn away from the path of evil and set about changing the galaxy into a better place, I just need somebody to reach out to me, to bring out my inner good.. and it will happen some day.. but not while I still have masters or superiors watching over my shoulder.
----------------------------------

Anyway that's the only possible way I could play a dark sided character.. Would I truly be a dark sider like this? or would I have to go full evil and slaughter countless civilians and so on to be a dark side character.. if so, to hell with that.

What do you think? any suggestions?

EDIT; Another thing that could of happened which corrupted me, was I was traded along with a bunch of other people by a corrupt jedi master to the sith to spare the life of one pathetic senate, hundreds of us were traded for him. and this could make me hate the republic and the jedi order ect.

And after this my family tries to rescue me, and they are executed by the same senate for treason and crimes against the republic.. making me REALLY Hate them.

Jenzali
04.19.2013 , 08:16 PM | #2
The key to playing a convincing dark side character is to turn off the alignment loss/gain indicators and roleplay exactly how you would play your character. Never pick an option simply because it has the dark side symbol beside it. Many of them fall into the realm of "chaotic stupid" rather than "intelligent evil" or "necessary evil". Act as you feel a true Sith, or a dark Jedi, etc. would (or whatever your character is).

You may even end up with some light side points, but that's just a meaningless number that has no effect on gameplay. I have probably overused this example, but if Palpatine was somehow bought this game and was playing through the Old Republic, he would have probably racked up about 10,000 light side points (i.e. not mindlessly killing people) before finally revealing his true nature and taking over the Republic.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

momentDroid
04.19.2013 , 08:19 PM | #3
I role play my character as a DS character, he is helpful doesn't kill innocents or potential allies.
He's loyal to the Empire and will strike down any republic solider or npc without a second thought.
He strikes down anyone who mocks or betrays the Empire, but is always nice to non-sith and other races.
My character is a DS 4 and has not killed innocents or potential allies, he focuses on protecting the Empires interest and citizens.
Spoiler

I basically spare people who was there at the wrong time or was betrayed.
"Kneel before The Empire it is the only way" -Sith Warrior
"Their sacrifice will be honored in the coming Empire"

Berronaxftw
04.19.2013 , 08:35 PM | #4
Thanks for the replies, given me a few more ideas.

Darth-Obvious
04.19.2013 , 08:57 PM | #5
After playing 1 pure light side character and 2 pure dark side characters I'd recommend against playing in any one direction.

There's not much of a point in going completely one sided unless that's the way you want to play it that way.

I personally had more fun with Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter story lines because I was playing them more grey or doing what I wanted rather than sticking to an alignment.

To a certain degree I actually wish the LS/DS system wasn't in the game. I feel like people would be more inclined to play the way they wanted or would possibly role play a little more, rather than trying to go down a good/evil path. Not to mention alot of the choices aren't just simply good/evil choices. There are a number of times where the light/dark side actually have no place or context in certain decisions that they're marked with.

I understand why they included them though, because people expected it, but honestly at this point, the whole good/evil thing is an outdated system and thankfully we're seeing more games that involve choice move away from that like The Witcher and The Walking Dead.

Yodajediman
04.19.2013 , 09:05 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Berronaxftw View Post
As the title says.. I want to play a dark side character because I feel like i'm missing out on a lot of lore if I don't.. But every time I try to play a dark side character, I get sucked into my characters story and I can't help but make the same decisions I would most likely make myself..

I'm all about helping people and saving them because I just think it's the right thing to do i'm a charitable person and I believe that whomever I help will one day repay me.

I find killing potential allies, useful people & innocents just pointless and wrong.. But isn't that what being a dark sider is all about?

I really am missing out on a lot of lore such as dark side jaesa & general conversation choices.. My only idea to play a dark sider is as follows.
-----------------------------------
I'm forced into the sith order (or any other order for that matter) and I am corrupted by my trainers and twisted into a weapon of hate and cruelty, not by my choice, but through manipulation and so on. And anyway that sends me pretty dark and I end up killing most people not because I want to, but because I fear if I don't I would let my superiors down and they would kill me or someone I know.. I'm just trying to survive and it's the only way.

So I go on.. killing and deceiving, betraying, lying and bringing people to my side as my masters command.. I still refuse to kill innocent civilians or young people, because even if i'm ordered to, something deep within me stops me from doing it.

I am not beyond redemption, and someday I will turn away from the path of evil and set about changing the galaxy into a better place, I just need somebody to reach out to me, to bring out my inner good.. and it will happen some day.. but not while I still have masters or superiors watching over my shoulder.
----------------------------------

Anyway that's the only possible way I could play a dark sided character.. Would I truly be a dark sider like this? or would I have to go full evil and slaughter countless civilians and so on to be a dark side character.. if so, to hell with that.

What do you think? any suggestions?
Friend, I'm a dark sith warrior... Dark 4 in fact. But, I still make light options when the dark goes against my every moral. For example, on Belsavis, I chose to spare Jedi Master Timins. (Jaesa didn't like that). I also took off Vette's shock collar, and eventually married her. But i still made all the major dark options. I KILLED Darth Baras, I KILLED The voice of the Emperor. I CHOKED Malavai Quinn to near death, and then kicked him to wake him back up. It's okay to mix light and dark together.
"I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice."~Wolverine

SithKoriandr
04.19.2013 , 09:45 PM | #7
I might suggest a Trooper.

While my SW is dark side, was up to light side 2, by the time she got to Jaesa, she was neutral, and when she killed Baras, it was enough dark side points to end her at dark side 2. I didn't go in with either LS or DS in mind.

Now my Trooper, I went in with the thought of her following orders, as I knew of one dark side option that was following orders from a previous attempt at a trooper.

Wanting a dark side twi'lek (so I can get her white, which is a great look on twi'leks), I went with Trooper and the idea that, "The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few" and thusly...on Esseles...crew out the air lock (the other alternative wasn't 100%) and Asara left behind (as Kilran may decide to chase them untill he got them...so this kept the passengers safe).

And OMG, first time I'd ever seen the DS options to Esseles and it was heart breaking!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

samrayx
04.19.2013 , 10:04 PM | #8
When I play my sith characters i tend to do more evil things. However part of the sith code is to never dispose of a potential ally (not specifically stated in the code but is explained as an understanding in the sith warrior story). I they can be useful they live. My characters do not tolerate weakness and will not hesitate to eliminate a potential weakness to the empire. However if they have proven useful then they are an asset to the empire and to me.

And i did the same thing to that traitorous fool quinn lol. I enjoyed every second of that cutscene

Morgani
04.20.2013 , 12:38 AM | #9
Roleplaying aside, play the story as you see fit, or have fun doing. If every Sith in the Old Republic was Dark V because he took every Dark Side option, the Empire would fall apart. The person who said 'chaotic stupid" was right on.

I also agree with SithKoriander that Dark Trooper is easier to play. A lot of it is 'follow orders to the letter' and 'being a little mercenary too.'

As far as game mechanics, if you want Dark V for the Legacy bonus ability, the title, or to wear Dark V relics, run a bunch of flashpoints at the end of the game and chose the Dark option. For RP purposes, I don't consider flashpoints to be part of my character's story so crushing some Mandalorians or Advosec in their flashpoints doesn't matter to me.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Beniboybling
04.20.2013 , 04:10 AM | #10
Be pratical. Often DS decisions are more beneficial than lightside ones. Cast aside your morals and think, what will be best of the Empire? This will likely lead to you making a majority of decisions dark side and a smattering of light side ones. You'll find yourself killing and destroying a lot, but refraining from doing so when it seems to serve no purpose. Given the fact that your character is corrupted, he or she is likely to use fear of pain or death to keep his or her subordinates in line.

One thing I will say though is that, as far as I'm aware, you don't have to be dark sided to get dark side Jaesa, you just have the make the DS choice at that moment, which makes sense. However you have to make DS choices to get affection with here, but she also hands that stuff out like cookies.