Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE bolster!

KeyboardNinja
04.18.2013 , 11:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Soxbadger View Post
Isnt it the same principle in pve? Why should gear help carry you, why wouldnt it be more fair that at 55 every sorc has the same stats, and then if you have the most skills you are the best, its not dependent on gear.
PvE has hard numerical checks on its fights. If the stats on your DPS's gear are not above a certain level, then it doesn't matter how skilled they are, the boss will enrage and the entire group will fail. The most skilled healer on the server will fail to keep up with the damage in HM S&V if they're still wearing Columi gear. PvP has no such mechanic. In fact, mechanical checks in PvP are (in general) much more lenient, which is part of why wacky hybrid specs and strange rotations can be viable and indeed advantageous. PvE doesn't allow such margins. We can argue all day about skill in one vs skill in the other, but the fact remains that PvE has a very strong emphasis on numeric potential and precise execution. Numeric potential should be a non-issue in PvP since there is no mechanical enforcement of that potential.

And yes, the gear disparity is exactly as broad as I made it out to be. A 25-30% numerical disparity between players does not make for an even playing field. More importantly, I can be an incredibly skilled tank, but I would be absolutely facerolled by a mediocre player in better gear. That is the problem that bolster is intended to fix.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

NasDragon
04.18.2013 , 12:29 PM | #22
In no way shape or form should bolster or something like it be introduced to FPs or OPs. What would be the point of getting any gear be? Let me ask you this, what would be the point of me getting better gear be if the game just bumped me up along the way? I would not need to buy any gear as I could run around in the same outfit that was given to me when I create a character.

The fun in this game is the challenge of the gear progression. In my opinion if you don't want to run with a group that has someone geared in green or has someone that is x levels lower/higher than you, than don't. You have several options which include vote kick, leave the group, or better yet get a group together with friends/guildies or what have you, before queing. Personally I don't mind running with people in greens, adds more challenge to me as a healer

I have several 50's and I have even managed to level all the way simply doing FP's with two of them. Some FP's were a little challenging along the way, but as I earned my gear things got easier, until the next one was available to me.

Developers, please don't consider implementing this PVE bolster into the game.

Should something be done about the XP nerf? Ya i think so. A suggestion that I have would be is that if there is a spread of no greater than 4 or 5 levels in a FP, then no nerf. In this way you cant power level someone. In higher levels maybe make the spread 2 to 4 levels. After the spread, normal nerf rules apply. This way your still getting a decent amount of xp for each FP, but the content is still challenging.

Soxbadger
04.18.2013 , 12:35 PM | #23
Keyboard,

I understand how pve works. Im simply stating that pve doesnt have to work that way. A boss could have X stats and all players could have Y stats. Instead of it being based on gear, it would be based on who did the most efficient rolls, who had the best timing, best coordination. You dont need gear checks, it could go back to the olden days of video games where it was just about skill.

That being said pvp is a team sport. If you are undergeared as a tank, it is the job of the healer to keep you alive. You may not win death matches 1 on 1 consistently if you are in weaker gear, but you absolutely can be a valuable asset to a team win.

I pve more than I pvp, but never once did I think that I simply couldnt compete because I did not have fully augmented optimized ewh. In fact I only had a complete wh set, not once did I ever think about anyone elses gear. My focus was on winning wzs. Which is more about skill/tactics. Cause wzs are a lot more than just gear fests.

Seireeni
04.18.2013 , 01:01 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by NasDragon View Post
In no way shape or form should bolster or something like it be introduced to FPs or OPs. What would be the point of getting any gear be? Let me ask you this, what would be the point of me getting better gear be if the game just bumped me up along the way?
That's what pvp players are asking right now. I have topped the damage in level 55 pvp in my leveling gear. I have also heard that pve-gear can actually be better than the lower level 55 pvp gear. (Can't remember which one of those was the new wh and which one was the new ewh...)

Scotland
04.18.2013 , 01:49 PM | #25
Excellent idea!

I want to have the best PVE stats without lifting a finger, make it happen EAWare.
Albā Anaigh
Albå - AlbaGuBra - Albā - Albagų
> Real stars burn out, superstars burn forever. <

Xerain
04.18.2013 , 01:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
Excellent idea!

I want to have the best PVE stats without lifting a finger, make it happen EAWare.
I agree! I should be able to see all of this games content just like everyone else and not have to worry about grinding gear or depending on 3/7/15 other people! What is BW thinking?!

Pistols
04.18.2013 , 01:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Scotland View Post
Excellent idea!

Seems fair tbh.

Pistols
04.18.2013 , 01:58 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
One major component to PvE content is obtaining gear and itemizing in order to complete higher level content.
That's funny, cause that is what PvP is supposed to be as well.

Scotland
04.18.2013 , 02:04 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Albā Anaigh
Albå - AlbaGuBra - Albā - Albagų
> Real stars burn out, superstars burn forever. <

KeyboardNinja
04.18.2013 , 02:13 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
The only difference is that in PvP, the higher-level content is mixed in with the lower-level content. So if you need better gear to do the higher-level content, then you can never do *any* content. (hence, PvP's current well-deserved reputation of being very newcomer unfriendly)
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)