Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

sulsakan's Avatar


sulsakan
04.17.2013 , 05:32 PM | #1121
Quote: Originally Posted by grandmofftarkin View Post
Duh! Such an obvious solution. Have a PvE only stat too!

You make PvE raid grind gear and PvP WZ grind gear have same basic stats. Then, they differ by an extra stat that only applies in each realm: PvP keeps expertise and PvE gets another stat that works only there. That's fair to everyone because PvPers get an advantage for their efforts when on their turf and vice versa for PvErs.

And, you could then put back the old bolster system for lower level PvP as is. Top level PvP can be bolstered as such for PvE grind gear: replace the PvE stat with entry level expertise in WZs. Raiding in PvP gear could bolster to entry level PvE stat.

As the game progresses you keep periodically raising the entry levels for bolstered expertise and new PvE stat so that the advantage doesn't get out of hand for either side.
Good points...that would be ideal...but unfortunately I don't see this happening. My guess is that they're going to fix the 55 WZ imbalance between between pvp and pve gear and leave it at that.
Sulsa Kan

LarryRow's Avatar


LarryRow
04.17.2013 , 05:51 PM | #1122
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The second issue we want to address is concerns over the balance between level 55 PvE and PvP gear. We have seen some reports from players around the forums and in this thread that they are seeing players wearing Underworld or Arkanian gear having higher stats under Bolster than people wearing Partisan or Conqueror.

<snip>

-eric

Thanks for the update on continued efforts to fix bolster. One specific issue that has been brought up a bit: It appears that top tier PvE hilts and barrels are going to be a better bet than their PvP counterparts, even when bolster is working as intended. Is this a rumor you are prepared to dispel, or a legitimate concern?
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

SomeJagoff's Avatar


SomeJagoff
04.17.2013 , 05:54 PM | #1123
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
...players wearing Underworld or Arkanian gear having higher stats under Bolster than people wearing Partisan or Conqueror.

After some investigation, it appears that this is true
ROFL!

Fail system is fail.

gj, keep patching the failsystem or not (result is the same either way) and losing more subscribers.

I really have to ask, do you guys have any idea what the hell is going on with your game AT ALL??

First one of your guys posts that naked bolster was quashed in a community blog, then, despite 3 months of testing and that statement, naked bolster goes live.

Then there's that ilum xp farming thing, you say you're going to patch it, deploy a patch for however many hours....then somehow the ONLY thing that was supposed to be patched during the downtime WASN'T patched, so you have to deploy a patch to patch the patch?

And now, a statement saying that the pve gear isn't as good as pvp gear in pvp....

Quote: Originally Posted by RobHinkle View Post

A caveat, I'm at home with a sick infant so my numbers might be a little off, but I think the expertise value while under Bolster was set on underworld gear at 1332.
but oh wait, lol, jk, it's actually better.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
...players wearing Underworld or Arkanian gear having higher stats under Bolster than people wearing Partisan or Conqueror.

After some investigation, it appears that this is true
Seriously, What the hell is going on here? Do you guys not communicate with each other at all? Is your only programmer fred, but nobody likes fred, so nobody talks to him, even though he's really the only one who knows what's going on and as a result you post false information repeatedly? Do all of us PAYING CUSTOMERS a favor and TALK TO FRED before you post any further baseless claims regarding what gear is good and what is not under this Flagrantly BROKEN system.

Or if you want a simple fix, then just remove this BS system completely from AT LEAST 55 PVP. As for the pvers who want a free ride without putting in time to gear up, too bad, earn your pvp gear like EVERYBODY ELSE currently is.



Hey, EricMusco, ignore all my above points if you like, but just answer this question:




Do you realize that you are causing EA to lose money in the form of subscribers (and thus cartel coin purchases) by continuing to defend this Obviously broken bolster system to the bitter end?



You might be able to iron out all the bugs from this system in 6 months....but at what cost??
Lightsabers, Force Choke, Force Lightning, Jedi Mind Tricks, what else could you want from an MMO? There may be other MMOs out there, but do they have Lightsabers?....Do They?

Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

DarthOvertone's Avatar


DarthOvertone
04.17.2013 , 06:02 PM | #1124
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

After some investigation, it appears that this is true, but it is not intended. Although we always want to keep the PvP environment competitive even for players not wearing full PvP sets, Partisan and Conqueror should be performing better in Warzones than their PvE counterparts. We will be deploying a fix for this in 2.0.1 which will be coming out on Tuesday.
This is excellent news and I'm glad to see you guys are earnestly working to get PvP back on track.

Still going to run Scum and Villainy though. It's not that I don't trust you guys, but...well, you know.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

Yamahara's Avatar


Yamahara
04.17.2013 , 06:24 PM | #1125
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
The second issue we want to address is concerns over the balance between level 55 PvE and PvP gear. We have seen some reports from players around the forums and in this thread that they are seeing players wearing Underworld or Arkanian gear having higher stats under Bolster than people wearing Partisan or Conqueror.

After some investigation, it appears that this is true, but it is not intended. Although we always want to keep the PvP environment competitive even for players not wearing full PvP sets, Partisan and Conqueror should be performing better in Warzones than their PvE counterparts. We will be deploying a fix for this in 2.0.1 which will be coming out on Tuesday.

I know there is still a bit of confusion around the Bolster system, how it affects stats and Expertise and I am working on getting some more information on it. Sometime after 2.0.1 I am going to work with the combat team on getting a “mathy” post explaining a bit about Bolster and how it works which will hopefully work to clear up some confusion. As you can imagine, it is a pretty complex system.

I hope that alleviates some of your concerns with the issue of PvE v PvP gearing and thank you all for your feedback.

-eric

You need to work on ridding bolster from 55. When another player has higher stats in his pve gear with the enhancement exploit than I do in my conq/partisan mix it's just ridiculous! Bolster for pre-55 is fine,you need something to get you there. But it has no place in 55. Also an EASY fix is to make partisan gear available at 52 or 53;With this people will be ready for 55 pvp when they reach that level.
Lukewarm Tauntauns
Satene 55 Juggernaut
Eightyseven 55 Operative
http://www.swtor.com/r/skFjn8 Help me help you!

BoushhDC's Avatar


BoushhDC
04.17.2013 , 06:44 PM | #1126
I still haven't seen any new info from the devs about items that have mixed expertise/pve components on a single item.

To give a run down, there was a dev post after 2.0 went live initially stating that with the new bolster system, having an item that had expertise on it, but not in every slot... basically was a bad thing. This was seemingly directed at people that had characters with items, such as weapons (or other modifiable gear), with a +41 Expertise crystal and/or Expertise enhancements stripped out of pvp vendor purchases weapons, but the barrels/hilts and mods didn't contain expertise. (I have alts in this situation, but that's another story and not the question atm). Okay, so I also have (several) characters that I PvP'd with in the pre-2.0 top bracket (lvl 50s) that had/have WH/EWH gear. As we all know, on the WH/EWH gear, the Expertise was stripped off all the armor but not the weapons/offhand. The weapons and offhands still have +41 Expertise crystals in that one slot.

Question: IS THIS STILL DETRIMENTAL or not??

The reason I'm insisting on the info is that, when one of my now above 50 characters was sub 50, I bought a +41 Expertise crystal that could be used from lvl 10 (not cheap). When BW recently assured us that WH/EWH would be made viable again in the new system (prior to their deciding to reverse this and strip the Expertise) I went ahead and bought a lvl 50, +41 WH crystal in a rare color I liked (really not cheap). Now, we are where we are and the last info we were given was how mixed Expertise items were bad, with no updated info to the contrary and BW effectively turning in a weapon that previously didn't fall into that "mixed" category now has. I waited around but in the absence of info, went back to the GTN to buy a Non-Expertise crystal, again, in a rare color I liked because I'm the one going to be looking at it (really, really not cheap -- probably due to the demand 2.0 has created with all this crap -- and third trip just on this one character for this same slot item).

While I'm sure the crafters love me as a valued customer, this is ridiculous! Wasn't the whole argument of the non-pvp'ing centric community that set this whole damned ball rolling that it was too *expensive* in the under cap bracket to acquire good gear? Well...? And that's not to mention what I'm reading on the forums regarding what people are spending to remove augments, enhancments, et. al. and re-apply them in WZs (some implying *each* WZ) to "screw with the bolster" to get unintended stats... well, SSDD with one important distinction: it's not about "earning" a tier of gear, but how many creds you can shell out to optimize your character(s). I've pretty much hit my limit, and that's just for one slot on one item (or two, for those that duel wield).

Okay, now I'm more than irked, because I want the damned information before I go through this same process for all my other characters faced with this monster you devs forced upon us.
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. --Sun Tzu

Dealdrick's Avatar


Dealdrick
04.17.2013 , 06:52 PM | #1127
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
"I know there is a bit of confusion about the bolster system" in the same post you say "Upon investigation we've discovered that pve gear is indeed better for pvp than pvp gear is"


Well we're so sorry for being confused as to why the **** you put a *********** system into a game that is giving pve gear better stats than pvp gear, where we can't *********** tell how to itemize because your *********** system randomly *********** changes the gosh darn stats on our gear.

Know why we're *********** confused about your system? Because YOU ARE *********** confused about your system!!

Don't give us this crap which you clearly haven't given a single thought about and then be shocked when we don't know what the **** you were smoking either when you put this through. The biggest problem right now is NONE of the **** you're doing right now makes any sense.



I have an idea for you pvp dev team on making a system that won't confuse us- why don't you put stats on the gear you get us to buy THAT DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO IN THE SITUATION WE'LL BE USING THEM.
^This.......

Get your **** together BW, this is pathetic. This "new and improved bolster" has been in developement for how long and its still broken in almost every aspect?? Worst Dev team ever

Azarai's Avatar


Azarai
04.17.2013 , 06:54 PM | #1128
I don't understand why BW has such a desire to reinvent the wheel...
Lazy - Concealment Op
Watts - DPS Sorc
ProtBot - Jugg Tank

stephenalandavie's Avatar


stephenalandavie
04.17.2013 , 07:40 PM | #1129
The bottom line is Bioware Pvp gear is not viable in Pve Therefore Pve gear should not be viable in pvp.

Jeeses's Avatar


Jeeses
04.17.2013 , 08:02 PM | #1130
Now I'm sure most of you forum posters have seen me backing bolster since its release. I will continue to do so because I see the light.

A big issue is the PVE>PVP because pve gear has higher stats and bolster gives them free expertise.

Imo, there is an easy solution to this. (possibly not easy to implement but anyway)

Bolster should boost you to a % of Partisan gear stats, lets say 70.00% ? Done on a per item basis obviously. Say you have 50% partisan gear, you'll only lose 15% stats compared to full partisan. Obviously %'s could be played with, but just using them as examples for now.

Bolster is only ever applied on gear without expertise . This would also mean that anyone with PvE gear that has higher stats is affected by bolster, but not purely by boosting their expertise.
What I am suggesting, is that when someone has PVE gear that is of a higher stat lvl than partisan, that they are debuffed, Bringing their stats back down to 70% that I suggested bolster would buff undergeared people to. Then those who are in greens etc, would be buffed. Which would result in them being reasonably competitive, so that they dont get roflstomped and leave pvp.

For the sake of the topic, lets look at http://www.torhead.com/item/1OcsN4G/...survivors-robe

It offers the following stats:
+116 Endurance
+43 Willpower
+82 Expertise Rating
+47 Absorption Rating
+56 Glance Rating

Now lets use my 70% figure on it,

81.2 Endurance
30.1 Will power
57.4 Expertise
32.9 Absorption rating
39.2 Glace rating

Presuming that they based the bolster stats off the partisan tanking chest (admittedly not the most likely choice) These would be the stats of the chest slot (only with gear in the slot, perhaps make the stats only 50% of partisan without gear to make people actually wear clothes) That did not already have expertise in the slot.

This would mean that those in bad lvling gear would be boosted upto to a competitive level, and those in good PVE gear would have their stats bought down and adjusted to a lvl that means that they are competitive, however not overpowered.

Unfortunately for those of you who hate bolster, it looks like its stuck around for the long run. Personally I think this is a good thing because overall its a good idea, it just needs to be played with a bit until its better.
Yes it should have been fixed on PTS, yes it shouldn't have been pushed to live as it is, but unfortunately it was, so instead of QQing and demanding it be removed, we need to search for ideas to fix the system.

Obviously my suggestion would make those PVE focused who casually pvp pretty butthurt because "my stats are bad why would I go into PVP" etc etc but really bolster isn't designed for those who are dedicated PVE players, its designed around those who are new, PVE players are in a weird grey area because they're technically new as far as PVP goes, but not new in general because of their PVE experience.

Later down the track, when conq gear is no longer the top, they could remove expertise from partisan (it would then be bolstered) and increase bolster to say 70% of conq gear. This way those who haven't pvp'd for a long time and return are once again semi current, and those who have a half decent set because of casual play will still remain competitive with the use of bolster. Using this sort of a system they could always increase the stats with each set greatly as they always have done, giving the appearance of a wonderful carrot on the end of the stick. But in reality you're always going to be a maximum % stronger than the newest of new players