Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lol bolster

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TUXs
04.17.2013 , 03:25 PM | #1091
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Well, I didn't scrutinize my stats that closely, but if you had, say, High Aim, Low Endurance armoring and that was reversed in the conversion, yeah that's lame.

As for the situation you describe, it doesn't sound any different from a level 50 with pvp gear running into a level 47 on Corellia. If that guy in your story had been level 54 instead of level 55, he wouldn't have had much of a gear advantage at all, right?

I guess I can't disagree with any of this. But you're upset for all the right reasons. The people who are stamping their feet that their gear isn't endgame-viable any more, after an expansion, are really the ones driving me nuts.
Actually, that's exactly what they did. My PvE gear was Resolve armorings (high Aim, lower End) and they converted to Commando Armorings (lower Aim, higher End).

The reason I feel Makeb is different is this:
Makeb is a leveling planet. True, a 50 could gank a 25 anywhere prior to this, but 50's were given their individual "daily" areas prior to this. Makeb combines players leveling as low as 47, with higher level characters who are doing daily missions between WZ's. Those 55's who are bored, waiting for a queue to pop, will not hesitate to pop a couple lowbies as they run around clicking things. Makeb will encourage the WRONG kind of "organic" PvP imo.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

grandmofftarkin
04.17.2013 , 03:30 PM | #1092
How about this?

PvE gear is buffed (or debuffed) somewhere between entry and mid level PvP gear in WZs. Only allow a modest gap in stats between entry and top level PvP gear. PvP gear is left as is since expertise is worthless in raids. Done...

Pistols
04.17.2013 , 03:30 PM | #1093
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
I guess I can't disagree with any of this. But you're upset for all the right reasons. The people who are stamping their feet that their gear isn't endgame-viable any more, after an expansion, are really the ones driving me nuts.
Valid point. I keep forgetting the lower end gear is not supposed to have that much expertise. I think the bolster issue is what I'm having the issue with, which directly results in the poor development aspect of this team. I understand constant bombardment doesn't move things in a positive direction, but accountability needs to be addressed. I'm tired of seeing issues reported on PTS ignored, just so they can keep that timeline of updates on schedule. Either way the development team has ruined my PvP experiene for the time being, as they have done a few times before, and just getting tired of it.

Aetideus
04.17.2013 , 03:35 PM | #1094
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Valid point. I keep forgetting the lower end gear is not supposed to have that much expertise. I think the bolster issue is what I'm having the issue with, which directly results in the poor development aspect of this team. I understand constant bombardment doesn't move things in a positive direction, but accountability needs to be addressed. I'm tired of seeing issues reported on PTS ignored, just so they can keep that timeline of updates on schedule. Either way the development team has ruined my PvP experiene for the time being, as they have done a few times before, and just getting tired of it.
I don't know if in Bioware happens what it in all other software companies doesn't, but the developers do not deside the release.

Scotland
04.17.2013 , 03:36 PM | #1095
Poor development aspect of this team?
That's a bit of an understatement, don't you think?
If it was up to me, everyone involved from the development to the release of this monstrosity of a pvp update should be shown the door.

They should just thank their lucky stars it's not up to me.
Albà Anaigh
Albå - AlbaGuBra - Albà - Albagù
> Real stars burn out, superstars burn forever. <

sulsakan
04.17.2013 , 03:40 PM | #1096
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Actually, it's about time that Expertise was eliminated in the Open World altogether. Players wearing PvP gear totally overwhelming PvE players in the Open World environment who are doing PvE missions should never have been allowed in the first place.

Expertise should only work in WarZones. In the Open World, it should be a balanced playing field so everyone has a chance to enjoy the combat versus PvPers descending for a giggling gank-fest on players performing PvE quests in what is, basically, the PvE environment.

There should be PvP in the Open World - that has proven fun when appropriately geared players clash. Expertise gives a gravely unfair advantage (especially when much of the Open World PvP is exp-geared PvPers ganking players 10 - 20 levels below them).
The problem here is that expertise was not entirely eliminated from the open world...only that on WH/EWH gear. So for those that are 55 and have the new PVP gear (or the older BM/Recruit gear), they will be able to owpvp with gear that has expertise...totally overwhelming those with only pve gear.

Basically, since Im on a pvp server, what I have to do now to play is to equip all my old pvp gear which still has expertise (combination BM and Recruit) when questing in the open world, then I have in my inventory a full set of 140 pve gear, which I put on when going into a Heroic instance, flashpoints or pvp WZs. Once I reach 55 then I can get the Partisan and start using that to quest in the open world.

But this is just a crazy work around. The problem at the core of all this is Expertise...it was a horrible idea from the beginning and since launch people have been calling for its removal. If they remove Expertise all together, from everything, and then level out the pvp gear with the pve gear, so each tier is the same, then voila! All is solved. No bolster would be necessary in WZs to compensate for pve gear that does not have it. But I'm not sure BW is willing to accept that they messed up from the beginning and are willing to make such drastic a change. Having said this, the current system is absolutely absurd and unsustainable.
Sulsa Kan

Pistols
04.17.2013 , 03:46 PM | #1097
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetideus View Post
I don't know if in Bioware happens what it in all other software companies doesn't, but the developers do not deside the release.
I never said the Developers decide when updates are released.

grandmofftarkin
04.17.2013 , 03:48 PM | #1098
Quote: Originally Posted by sulsakan View Post
Basically, since Im on a pvp server, what I have to do now to play is to equip all my old pvp gear which still has expertise (combination BM and Recruit) when questing in the open world,
Yes! I've been seriously considering doing this. I saved all of my BM sorc healer mods, thinking I would slap them into legacy gear later to give some future sage toon a pvp head start, but maybe this is better for them. Perhaps dropping them into a cheap cartel suit is and giving it back to my main toon is the answer.

What's really laughable is that Ashara Zavros, my companion character, who is in champion gear, has more expertise than my EWH sorc.

Aetideus
04.17.2013 , 03:50 PM | #1099
I never said the Developers decide when updates are released.
The developers made the bolster in PTS. Where should have remained.

Racter
04.17.2013 , 03:50 PM | #1100
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Actually, it's about time that Expertise was eliminated in the Open World altogether. Players wearing PvP gear totally overwhelming PvE players in the Open World environment who are doing PvE missions should never have been allowed in the first place.

Expertise should only work in WarZones. In the Open World, it should be a balanced playing field so everyone has a chance to enjoy the combat versus PvPers descending for a giggling gank-fest on players performing PvE quests in what is, basically, the PvE environment.

There should be PvP in the Open World - that has proven fun when appropriately geared players clash. Expertise gives a gravely unfair advantage (especially when much of the Open World PvP is exp-geared PvPers ganking players 10 - 20 levels below them).
The clear and obvious problem with this is PVE gear has monstrously better stats. Expertise must work in open world to cover the stat difference. The problem with that is with the new expertise change, the pve geared player is going to get molested regardless of either player's skill or lack thereof.