Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Returning Player Question


djvapid's Avatar


djvapid
04.17.2013 , 02:57 PM | #1
I purchased SWTOR and played the game for the first...I want to say 2 or 3 months. I had to drop it due to financial instability. I've picked the game back up and also got the expansion.

My question is; are there perks to being one of the guys that bought the game before it went F2P? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this game could have possibly went F2P, it was awesome (my opinion, anyway).

Be that as it may, if anyone could break down what I've missed out on (without pointing me to a link with endless logs with walls of text that I'm required to sift through for hours on end trying to get the "gist" of what's going on now) would be appreciated.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
04.17.2013 , 03:12 PM | #2
First couple of months, so you quit in March?

Well, we've had a few Operations drop, but if you've picked up Makeb, the top at the moment are Terror From Beyond (Asation) and Scum & Villainy.

Class, changes, obviously. New UI interface system, you can change the placement of everything on the screen (the little + on your action bar).

There were retroactive CC's, but I believe you had to be subscribed at the time of announcement, so you may have missed out on that. Obviously, subscribers still get monthly CC's credited to their account.

Group Finder implemented for leveling Flashpoints, End-game Flashpoints and some Operations.

Colour matching for armour and adaptive armour, which is Light Armour by default, but if you put your class's mods in it, it becomes Light/Medium or Heavy, where applicable.

Um, social stuff... no RP updates, so no chairs or chat bubbles. Makeb has SGR content, but it's not much and we still don't know where that's going. Future of class stories is still rather undecided at the moment, we certainly haven't been told anything.

PvP is... well, madness at the moment. Crafters aren't too happy with the 2.0 changes and kinks.

I'd certainly say the game is more involved and more fun than it was at launch.

Oh, yes! Events! We should be seeing the Gree returning to Ilum soon and hopefully the Rakghoul outbreak back on Taris, those were fun.

djvapid's Avatar


djvapid
04.17.2013 , 03:28 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
First couple of months, so you quit in March?

Well, we've had a few Operations drop, but if you've picked up Makeb, the top at the moment are Terror From Beyond (Asation) and Scum & Villainy.

Class, changes, obviously. New UI interface system, you can change the placement of everything on the screen (the little + on your action bar).

There were retroactive CC's, but I believe you had to be subscribed at the time of announcement, so you may have missed out on that. Obviously, subscribers still get monthly CC's credited to their account.

Group Finder implemented for leveling Flashpoints, End-game Flashpoints and some Operations.

Colour matching for armour and adaptive armour, which is Light Armour by default, but if you put your class's mods in it, it becomes Light/Medium or Heavy, where applicable.

Um, social stuff... no RP updates, so no chairs or chat bubbles. Makeb has SGR content, but it's not much and we still don't know where that's going. Future of class stories is still rather undecided at the moment, we certainly haven't been told anything.

PvP is... well, madness at the moment. Crafters aren't too happy with the 2.0 changes and kinks.

I'd certainly say the game is more involved and more fun than it was at launch.

Oh, yes! Events! We should be seeing the Gree returning to Ilum soon and hopefully the Rakghoul outbreak back on Taris, those were fun.

I appreciate you taking the time to break that down for me. I'm pretty happy to be back in the swing of things (I can't quite recall when I actually stopped playing).

As for Crafters - well, I think crafting has always taken a backseat to looted gear and PvP equipment (unless things have changed). If they have, that'd be pretty exciting because I've always been a big crafter.

PvP was always pretty dumb with the "pvp stat" that I so despised. (I was one of the guys against it. What is it called...? Expertise or some such.)

Anyway, I never had the chance to finish up any storylines, so for me the biggest thing is the legacy system and the play through of each class' story arcs.

The UI changes sound awesome, 'bout time they caved in on that.

Thanks for the update! Waiting and waiting for the install/patch to finish.

djvapid's Avatar


djvapid
04.17.2013 , 03:29 PM | #4
Oh, and I forgot to ask. So basically, subscribers get a monthly per diem of whatever the cash shop currency is? But there is no real perks to having bought the game?

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
04.17.2013 , 03:36 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by djvapid View Post
Oh, and I forgot to ask. So basically, subscribers get a monthly per diem of whatever the cash shop currency is? But there is no real perks to having bought the game?
Well, other than full access to every part of the game, the ability to post on the forums and converse with the developers who post here, free respeccing, unlimited credits (as in, no credit cap), a limit of 22 characters per server and an upper limit at around 350~... no.

The game went F2P after it was launched, so they decided to make F2P and Preferred restrictions, rather than giving more things to subscribers.

CC's per month is, I think, 200 with an extra 100 if you have the security key.

And crafting just hasn't found its place in the game - I don't think Bioware are quite sure what they want to do with it at the moment and the crafters are getting restless.

Edit: Oh yes, there's a new Bolster system in place at the moment. It brings your Expertise level up to Recruit gear if your Expertise is below Recruit level. Means you can PvP in PvE gear, but only to a certain point.

Kaos_KidSWTOR's Avatar


Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.17.2013 , 03:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, other than full access to every part of the game, the ability to post on the forums and converse with the developers who post here, free respeccing, unlimited credits (as in, no credit cap), a limit of 22 characters per server and an upper limit at around 350~... no.

The game went F2P after it was launched, so they decided to make F2P and Preferred restrictions, rather than giving more things to subscribers.

CC's per month is, I think, 200 with an extra 100 if you have the security key.

And crafting just hasn't found its place in the game - I don't think Bioware are quite sure what they want to do with it at the moment and the crafters are getting restless.

Edit: Oh yes, there's a new Bolster system in place at the moment. It brings your Expertise level up to Recruit gear if your Expertise is below Recruit level. Means you can PvP in PvE gear, but only to a certain point.
you get 500 Cartel Coins per month and another 100 if you have the Security Key function on the USB dongle or the Iphone/Android app.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
04.17.2013 , 03:42 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
you get 500 Cartel Coins per month and another 100 if you have the Security Key function on the USB dongle or the Iphone/Android app.
Thank you. no idea why I thought it was 220.

djvapid's Avatar


djvapid
04.17.2013 , 03:54 PM | #8
Hearing about the PvP that actually sounds really, really awesome. Now I am that much more excited about picking it up again.

Also, I wasn't trying to sound "gimme gimme" when I was asking about game-purchased perks. I hope I didn't come off that way. I'd throw my money at Bioware regardless. I was just curious, it wasn't going to sway my decision one way or another.

As for crafting, I hope that it finds its place. And it looks like I am gonna need to get this security key...but just to clarify, you have to have it on an android app or something to get the extra 100? Or by just owning one, you get the reward?

Other then that last question, thanks again you guys for responding and taking the time. I really do appreciate it and I cannot wait to get into the game.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
04.17.2013 , 04:12 PM | #9
As long as you have either the physical or phone version of the security key attached to your account, you'll get the coin allotment.

MSchuyler's Avatar


MSchuyler
04.17.2013 , 04:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
As long as you have either the physical or phone version of the security key attached to your account, you'll get the coin allotment.
You also get 600 if you pay 6 months at a time @ $12.99/mo.