Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Current State of Vanguard DPS, PvE/PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Vanguard
Current State of Vanguard DPS, PvE/PvP

Lazengan
04.15.2013 , 11:33 AM | #11
I actually really enjoy PVE Vanguard DPS because of how assault plastique + stick grenade works. I can off some numbers even while disrupted or CC'ed

moving boss fights especially, I have a huge advantage over commandos, who cannot kite and lay down their entire rotation effeciently

I'm willing to take a 5% theoretically loss in DPS compared to commandos, but actually have the mechanics and defensive abilities to ensure I get my full rotation while remaining mobile and alive

I think that has always been the point of a vanguard.

I really do miss the 30m assault plastique and inc round though. Could also use a burst damage buff

The_FLIPmode
04.15.2013 , 12:33 PM | #12
I speak from a PVP perspective only as I haven't done any PVE content on my vanguard since my old guild fell apart after migrating to POT5. In pvp, I would much rather have a harder hitting ion pulse, stock strike and HiBolt than AP because face it, we are all (or rather WERE) all about burst in pvp. With direct damage nerf to AP, I don't see it being worth the ammo cost and the dot is rather pitiful.

By the time your AP goes off on me, I would have fired 1-2 pules plus a stock strike and/or the bolt, which would do far more damage to you than me.

Right now my AP does roughly less damage upon crit at level 53 than it did at 50 before 2.0. So even with more aim/power, I still do less burst damage overall with it. That begs the question, why bother keeping it? If it didn't get its range nerfed, I would have considered it to be a nice substitute for the stick grenade. Not anymore.
POT5:
Turanor - Juggernaut, Turannor - Marauder, Turanar - Mercenary, Flppy -Vanguard
Ele'anor - Powertech, Tyrannor - Sorcerer, , Tranor - Gunslinger, Turanorr - Scoundrel

Zoofeks
04.16.2013 , 05:32 PM | #13
im using a hybrid spec for PVE dps, im doing 2200-2300 dps on the dummy.
Heres to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one
A pretty girl and an honest one
A cold beer and another one!

Astraios
04.17.2013 , 08:29 AM | #14
I have to agree with Vanguard being pathetic damage in pvp. The other day, I was trying to kill a scoundrel healer. It was pretty funny. He literally stood in place, doing nothing but diagnostic scan, the heal over time, and the emergency medpac, and I couldn't get him below 40-50%. I'm not the best around, but running the AP isn't all that hard to manage, and I was pretty well geared (before the first bolster fix, in half DG/half campaign). I wasn't getting crits, so that had something to do with it, but it comes down to the plasma cell nerf really screwed us. Plus, every class can now get 8k+ hits with ease, but Vanguards are lucky to get a 6k hib.

Numbers wise, I seem to have put up decent numbers if I use explosive surge in groups, but if i want to tab dot, I would play on my scoundrel or shadow.

iamthehoyden
04.17.2013 , 01:48 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoofeks View Post
im using a hybrid spec for PVE dps, im doing 2200-2300 dps on the dummy.
Would you be able to link your spec? I'm doing some looking around for viable specs.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Mozivicus
04.17.2013 , 01:50 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Would you be able to link your spec? I'm doing some looking around for viable specs.
Also, what stim are you using, what level gear are you parsing in, and what type (if any) adrenals are you using during your parse?

iReaper
04.17.2013 , 01:57 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by The_FLIPmode View Post
I speak from a PVP perspective only as I haven't done any PVE content on my vanguard since my old guild fell apart after migrating to POT5. In pvp, I would much rather have a harder hitting ion pulse, stock strike and HiBolt than AP because face it, we are all (or rather WERE) all about burst in pvp. With direct damage nerf to AP, I don't see it being worth the ammo cost and the dot is rather pitiful.

By the time your AP goes off on me, I would have fired 1-2 pules plus a stock strike and/or the bolt, which would do far more damage to you than me.

Right now my AP does roughly less damage upon crit at level 53 than it did at 50 before 2.0. So even with more aim/power, I still do less burst damage overall with it. That begs the question, why bother keeping it? If it didn't get its range nerfed, I would have considered it to be a nice substitute for the stick grenade. Not anymore.
I'm PVP oriented as well, could you link your spec tree and what are you using to replace AP?