Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Augments

Taerrik
04.17.2013 , 06:17 AM | #31
You can make this cheaper by using lower level augments

Spoletta
04.17.2013 , 06:19 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordarion View Post

How does that sound?
I disagree on the different levels for pvp, rwz are played by a really small minority of players. But that doesn't matter, we both agree that some kind of "bolster" system is needed, be it the recruit gear or what we have now or a completely new solution.

I see it this way:

BW initial try was with the recruit gear. That solution failed. This may be due to different reasons, but i think that it simply was not sustainable in the long run. With the pvp gears moving forward you constantly had to increase the stats on the recruit gear, to keep an acceptable gear gap between veterans and new comers. Since as you noted there is no such thing as a "recruit" gear for PvE, then you had conflicts between the 2 systems, where the recruit gear was progressively getting better and better in the pve side. By the end of the first year it was common to run HM in recruit mk2 gear, making tionese 100% useless. In the end tionese was made free.
There is also a second problem, the recruit gear has to be of blue quality, else pref and free players will join wzs in quest greenies. The recruit mk2 already pushed hard on a blue item stat budget, an eventual mk3 would have been blue only in name, making quite a confusion for new players.

The recruit gear solution is tied to an item, so it has to respect item restrictions and conflicts with other items. With the gear reset of 2.0 they took the chance to implement a new system which is free of that restrictions. Is it a good idea? I don't know.
Time will tell if this will work, what i know right now is that the previous system was not sustainable, so a new one is getting implemented, and with it comes a phase of suffering while it gets ironed out. We are actually in that phase. I don't want to defend this version of the bolster system, but i'm willing to give a bit of time to stabilize.

Devlonir
04.17.2013 , 07:03 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryQuan View Post
hes not a troll. he speaks the truth. it takes a couple of days to get full partisan gear. their is no need for bolster at 55.
Ah yes, because people being pwned for 'a few days' is an acceptable learning curve for PVP..

He is a troll. Bolster is not garbage, in most situations it works completely good, but there are still bugs and unexpected features that need to be worked out. And we being humans, especially geeks, have a way of always finding the quickest way to success. So the best way to test it is, actually, on Live. The amount of bugs with clear and multiple reports being spotted these last 8 days since early access will be a lot higher than in the same time on the PTS.

The system is close, but not there yet. But it is far from garbage. In general, it levels the playing field. At least a lot more than it was pre 2.0. And pre 2.0 PVP was a game of haves and have-nots. And for the haves, that was fine! for the have-nots, it was a horrible experience.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Mordarion
04.17.2013 , 07:05 AM | #34
That is a well reasoned reply. You and I might not see this thing eye to eye but we agree on some basic concepts and simply differ on implemetation.

Bottom line gear matters.

Stated goal reduce the gap between top flite PvP and beginners.

You are very correct on one point however... we will see how bolster works out.

Cheers !!
THE RELENTLESS
- JEDI GUARDIAN | JEDI SHADOW -

- Guild Website -

LarryRow
04.17.2013 , 07:20 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryQuan View Post
hes not a troll. he speaks the truth. it takes a couple of days to get full partisan gear. their is no need for bolster at 55. it has destroyed the game. people who are pvping without partisan gear are obviously not interested in pvping very much or they would have the gear. getting rolled for a couple of days after hitting 55 is not a big deal. they should remove bolster from endgame because right now it is a mess and any changes they do is just going to keep making it worse.
Spoken like someone who wants to make sure there are always a few fresh 55s around to squash like bugs so you can feel good about yourself.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

HighCounsil
04.17.2013 , 07:39 AM | #36
Been adding and removing augments in 55 all day yesterday, no stat inflation happened.

islander
04.17.2013 , 01:23 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by lordkhouri View Post
BW is implementing a stupid system and they need to abandon bolster. The only requirement for PvP should be PvP gear. No more bolster!!! Useless systems for people who don't even PvP.
Please, Bioware. Listen to this man.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

islander
04.17.2013 , 01:24 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
Thus why I'm not even PvP'ing, haven't done a 55 WZ but once.

Never thought I'd say it, but I think I'll just stick to PvE'ing and leveling alts.
and of course, you blew off the double exp weekends last month

although supposedly, the current bolster isn't half bad for pre-55. They should just stick to that honestly.

islander
04.17.2013 , 01:27 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
Ah yes, because people being pwned for 'a few days' is an acceptable learning curve for PVP..

He is a troll. Bolster is not garbage, in most situations it works completely good, but there are still bugs and unexpected features that need to be worked out. And we being humans, especially geeks, have a way of always finding the quickest way to success. So the best way to test it is, actually, on Live. The amount of bugs with clear and multiple reports being spotted these last 8 days since early access will be a lot higher than in the same time on the PTS.

The system is close, but not there yet. But it is far from garbage. In general, it levels the playing field. At least a lot more than it was pre 2.0. And pre 2.0 PVP was a game of haves and have-nots. And for the haves, that was fine! for the have-nots, it was a horrible experience.
You mean just like people who want to walk into an operation undergeared? I'd wager that's just as horrible an experience.

So let's just level both playing fields and call it a day

Arutar
04.17.2013 , 01:36 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Devlonir View Post
Well, getting pwned for weeks appears to be an acceptable learning curve for PVE (read: PVE progression raids), so i think PVPers can manage a few days.