Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bluntron
04.16.2013 , 04:31 PM | #2011
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
based on all the evidence of RWZ?

get real. nobody knows what is good or bad in RWZ yet, b/c nobody is min/max'd, and the majority of people are not even 55 yet.
touche,

but guilds still seem to be frowning at mercs.

Bluntron
04.16.2013 , 04:51 PM | #2012
to be honest, if you are only pulling 370k damage in a drawn out civil war, youre either guarding or youre bad.

i was pulling 500-700k damage frequently on my 40s commando, without Demo Round or Tech Override.

on PTS i was doing even more damage, including 1 game where i broke 1mil (granted it was in Assault spec before the nerf, but the damage output was similar).

our survivability is up. a lot. our mobility is up. a lot. our group utiltiy is up (off-healing is way easier now).
i think people are really underestimating the change to our armor debuff. before this, it was almost impossible to get the full armor break on a target b/c they notice us after the first tracer missile and then interrupted the proceeding one. now they dont get that option; we only need 1. its much harder for enemies to break up our rotation reliably.
youre talking as if you never get focused in your warzones, which means you are going against people who tunnel or you arent well known on your server.

I get two three people up the butt anytime I try to get close to the objective (Node, door, BC) So I spend alot of time off healing myself and running around corners and not pumping out dps

I just got done doing one of those type of warzones and I pulled out 370k dmg, the only person to do more then me was a sniper he did 480k.

On a warzone where I can sit there in one spot and have zero down time in damage I can push 900k but I average out around 680k.

I still find arsenal as a plant your feet and pew pew and lot of people run out of range during mid cast, but if I get any closer I get jumped on so its a very positional way to play.

Also are we going to push for as much alacity as possible?

cashogy_reborn
04.16.2013 , 05:05 PM | #2013
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluntron View Post
youre talking as if you never get focused in your warzones, which means you are going against people who tunnel or you arent well known on your server.

I get two three people up the butt anytime I try to get close to the objective (Node, door, BC) So I spend alot of time off healing myself and running around corners and not pumping out dps

I just got done doing one of those type of warzones and I pulled out 370k dmg, the only person to do more then me was a sniper he did 480k.

On a warzone where I can sit there in one spot and have zero down time in damage I can push 900k but I average out around 680k.

I still find arsenal as a plant your feet and pew pew and lot of people run out of range during mid cast, but if I get any closer I get jumped on so its a very positional way to play.

Also are we going to push for as much alacity as possible?
i get focused often and LoS and heal myself up plenty. but i avoid putting myself in situations where i am the prime target. i also avoid running off solo; when i get 2, 3 or more people trying to kill me and there are no teammates around i dont even try to escape, it just wastes time.
arsenal/gunny is still somewhat a "plant your feet" type class, but its much more "hit and run" than before. it has almost the same amount of mobility as merc pyro did.

and stay away from alacrity in PvP. biggest waste of stat ever.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bluntron View Post
touche,

but guilds still seem to be frowning at mercs.
they can frown all they want. doesnt change the facts
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Bluntron
04.16.2013 , 05:59 PM | #2014
i get focused often and LoS and heal myself up plenty. but i avoid putting myself in situations where i am the prime target. i also avoid running off solo; when i get 2, 3 or more people trying to kill me and there are no teammates around i dont even try to escape, it just wastes time.
arsenal/gunny is still somewhat a "plant your feet" type class, but its much more "hit and run" than before. it has almost the same amount of mobility as merc pyro did.

and stay away from alacrity in PvP. biggest waste of stat ever.

they can frown all they want. doesnt change the facts
Good to know.

DarthBloodloss
04.16.2013 , 06:43 PM | #2015
I'm hoping to be viable in RWZs. But the thing is, there is no way anyone can possibly know for another couple weeks.

-Up until today, all 55 PvP was non-legit anyways with the bolster issues.

-Its going to take the hardcore Mercs another couple weeks to finish grinding the Conqueror gear.

-Its going to take another month for the rest of the server to settle in at 55

THEN....once its geared people vs geared people in unranked warzones, at that point we will be able to assess Mercs. But up until that point, its speculation. I will say that I'm actually very happy with the changes.

I put up my highest (as a Merc) damage total ever last night but I refuse to believe its because of the changes. I think its more to do with the fact that I had maxed+ comms and have a nice gear head start on most people.

One random observation....I find that I can escape way more easily against 1 or 2 opponents. Melee toons can't keep me snared or rooted anymore. BUT...when focused by 3 or more ppl, I melt in a much much shorter time frame then pre-2.0

Also, Kolto Overload sucks. My main disappointment of the changes. (2nd would be sweeping blasters ninja nerf)
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

funkiestj
04.16.2013 , 07:09 PM | #2016
they can frown all they want. doesn't change the facts
Exactly. If the class actually is on par with other valued classes all it will take is for one highly skilled mando/merc on a good team to change that opinion.

Of course it is possible that the class is still weak compared to others, in which case the not yet collected evidence will justify their prejudice.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

ArchangelLBC
04.17.2013 , 12:37 AM | #2017
Honestly I'm amazed how much better we are under focus fire than we have been. Had a mara who would not leave me alone in a voidstar last night. Before that would have spelled the end for me anytime I showed my face. Between kolto bomb, hold the line, and overpowered scoundrel healing though, he just couldn't finish.

Now OUR inability to finish is well noted. It mostly stems from the drastically lower crit rate in 2.0. With current damage numbers and 1.7 crit rates we'd be murdering people going through a full rotation. Now? Not so much sadly.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Jenzali
04.17.2013 , 12:41 AM | #2018
Once you have Partisan/Conqueror, is it worth giving up expertise on two armorings in order to pick up the 2-set PvE bonus (+15% crit to Tracer Missile/Grav Round). I can not live without that set bonus, especially given the reduced effectiveness of crit rating.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

ArchangelLBC
04.17.2013 , 12:44 AM | #2019
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
Once you have Partisan/Conqueror, is it worth giving up expertise on two armorings in order to pick up the 2-set PvE bonus (+15% crit to Tracer Missile/Grav Round). I can not live without that set bonus, especially given the reduced effectiveness of crit rating.
Better to replace them entirely with PVE pieces instead of armorings. New bolster does NOT like it when you mix and match mods with expertise and mods without expertise. For example: Using a PVE weapon and putting in an expertise weapon will actually cause you to lose expertise.

My guess is a completely PVE piece will have more bolstered expertise than a mixed piece. I'd probably go with dread guard for best results if you just HAVE to have that set bonus.

On the other hand, the overall loss may not be worth it anymore at all period.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

funkiestj
04.17.2013 , 09:06 AM | #2020
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Better to replace them entirely with PVE pieces instead of armorings. New bolster does NOT like it when you mix and match mods with expertise and mods without expertise. For example: Using a PVE weapon and putting in an expertise weapon will actually cause you to lose expertise.
Isn't the BW position that this is a bug and will be fixed eventually?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?