Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ideal tank pairing for S & V

Nerdcommando
04.15.2013 , 10:11 AM | #1
Hey team,

My group is starting the S&V plunge this week and I was wondering what you guys think is the ideal tanking duo.

I have 2 assasin tanks currently. 1 of which has a powertech they can get up to muster and the other has a juggernaut that they can get up to speed.

Thanks,
Me
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. - Steven Wright

Digital_Blade
04.15.2013 , 10:44 AM | #2
I've always found having a Guardian and Shadow variety always good. Variety is good to have

KeyboardNinja
04.15.2013 , 11:49 AM | #3
We run two shadows. I really like shadow/guardian though, since their weaknesses are extremely complementary. Any tank pair is viable though, so you're really just looking at things like a) who is the better player and what class do they find most rewarding, b) what are your healers like and what do they prefer to heal, and c) what raid utility meshes best with your composition.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Nerdcommando
04.15.2013 , 12:23 PM | #4
Well IMO how the different tanks take dmg is very important since how bosses deal dmg will differ.
Although in the end it probably doesnt matter which 2 you take, having the ability to change up tank assignments can be very benificial.

Further sins have the ability to increase raid heals, and juggs have the ability to reduce dmg taken by the raid( and I have no idea what PT's bring). Each of these utilities reduces the stress on heals (slightly). So I do not see how that can be ignored.
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. - Steven Wright

tahoeWolverine
04.15.2013 , 12:32 PM | #5
To answer what PTs bring, we bring the default. Damage not too smooth, not too spikey, basic damage+accuracy boss debuffs, basic mobility with jump and hydraulic overrides. Put a good player behind a PT, even bring two PTs; you will have no regrets.

I will say that AoE threat is much improved now, and it's less of an "easy" class to play ability-wise. Managing flamethrower proc, heat screen+heat blast, shoulder cannon, flame sweep proc takes some getting used to.

We are running PT+ASN in 16m HM and things are going well. Lots of deaths because of the high damage+low mitigation, but the 2.0 gear is helping
DrGordon - Chosen - Prophecy of the Five

ScytheEleven
04.15.2013 , 12:34 PM | #6
I have all three tanks, but I main a PT tank now.

Assassin tanks have some amazing utliity. They now bring their own purple circle that increases healing done by 5% and healing received by 2%. And Force Shroud is just an extra layer of fantastic protection

Juggernaut tanks got a nice buff in 2.0, and Saber Reflect is like Force Shroud on steroids (for melee/ranged attacks). An AoE taunt that puts small protective bubbles on the group is also a solid plus, but pretty situational. They still have the best defensive cool downs in the game (Saber Ward and Invincible), and those are now on a 2:30 cool down instead of 3:00. Plus Guardian Leap when used right is pretty awesome. So again, good utility.

Powertech tanks don't bring any raid utility, other than they can take damage straight to the face like a man. Honestly, in my opinion and from having tanked on all three, if your healers can't heal a Powertech tank, then good luck with the other two. PT tanks are meat shields. They stand there and they take it...no fancy defensive cooldowns, no cool tricks. The damage they take is smooth and consistent, not spikey like Sins and Jugs.

That being said, any combo of the three will be great for a raid. I just don't think you want two of the same.

tahoeWolverine
04.15.2013 , 01:51 PM | #7
Assassin tank question: is the pink circle better served under the tank or under the healers? I have not used it so sorry for the naivety.
DrGordon - Chosen - Prophecy of the Five

mastirkal
04.15.2013 , 02:01 PM | #8
Right now as it is, juggs are by far the best main tank and easiest tank to heal, but that is as stands in the bastardization of mixed gear as most people are in. This isn't true once they start getting 69 and 72 gear, or shouldnt be anyway. Sin tanks lost 15% armor and their defensive stats are such crap that 55 FP they get ripped apart. They however are amazing offtanks like always, but their dps is as such that they really do fill the role of a "dps that can tank". They however are the weakest tanks within the first week of this release. Wait a month and they will be perfectly fine with more gear stacking on them.

Nerdcommando
04.15.2013 , 03:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by tahoeWolverine View Post
Assassin tank question: is the pink circle better served under the tank or under the healers? I have not used it so sorry for the naivety.
The + heals to the assasin happen regardless of wether or not he stands in the circle. Definately better under the healers - remember the spell lasts about 2 mins so will need to be refreshed.

Ceades_End_Game
04.15.2013 , 04:52 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
Right now as it is, juggs are by far the best main tank and easiest tank to heal, but that is as stands in the bastardization of mixed gear as most people are in. This isn't true once they start getting 69 and 72 gear, or shouldnt be anyway. Sin tanks lost 15% armor and their defensive stats are such crap that 55 FP they get ripped apart. They however are amazing offtanks like always, but their dps is as such that they really do fill the role of a "dps that can tank". They however are the weakest tanks within the first week of this release. Wait a month and they will be perfectly fine with more gear stacking on them.
I'am mostly 72's now, I take the same amount as dmg as the jug right now, upgrading to 72 armorings brings back alot of dr, iam sitting at 25,40,40 w/o darkward up