Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Empire and aliens!


SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.13.2013 , 07:08 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Mass genocide is not relative, nor do I remember Machiavelli actually endorsing the scorched earth kind of approach.
It's PC to say good and evil are relative
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

BradTheImpaler's Avatar


BradTheImpaler
04.13.2013 , 11:40 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Mass genocide is not relative, nor do I remember Machiavelli actually endorsing the scorched earth kind of approach.
This. He did say that brutality had its purpose, in the right place at the right time---but genocide? Nope. An excess of brutality can be just as dangerous as being too soft.

I do agree, though, that there are times to negotiate for peace and times to crush terrorist elements.
If you think we're mean to the Jedi, let the Star Cabal take control of the galaxy and you'll start missing us pretty quickly.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Spetulhu's Avatar


Spetulhu
04.13.2013 , 04:13 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
This. He did say that brutality had its purpose, in the right place at the right time---but genocide? Nope. An excess of brutality can be just as dangerous as being too soft.
IIRC it was part of his section on conquered territories in "The Prince" - if you fear an uprising then take out all the potential leaders in your initial invasion or soon after. The reason was that it stops the uprising, people see that you mean business and now you've done all the damage you need to do for a long time. People will get on with their lives and slowly forget it.

BradTheImpaler's Avatar


BradTheImpaler
04.13.2013 , 10:20 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Spetulhu View Post
IIRC it was part of his section on conquered territories in "The Prince" - if you fear an uprising then take out all the potential leaders in your initial invasion or soon after. The reason was that it stops the uprising, people see that you mean business and now you've done all the damage you need to do for a long time. People will get on with their lives and slowly forget it.
Yep!

Fair warning though that people who only read The Prince and think they understand Machiavelli are...not fully informed. I recommend the Discourses.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.