Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

iheartnyc
04.10.2013 , 07:51 PM | #5041
Quote: Originally Posted by WizardsDestiny View Post
You haven't been around in our community long enough to know us. This is the forums, not the servers. Not everyone here is strictly an AP player. And certainly not everybody here is everyone on the servers, 90% are game loving, friendly and generally caring people.
I have over 50 days played on Master D (that was my last count in December)...I think I've been around long enough

For the record, MDN was not the nicest place that you are all seeming to remember with rose-tinted glasses. Some of us got along very well. Others were plain nasty. Lots of griefing and ganking and **** talking in game. Hence, the massive exodus of players from MDN since 1.2.

The Bastion general chats are actually very tame in comparison. The Harbringer general chats...wow. Every other chat is "Obama is a [****]" or "Your wife loves my [&&&&&&]". Whoever said PVE servers are nicer?

iheartnyc
04.10.2013 , 07:58 PM | #5042
Quote: Originally Posted by Nommaz View Post
You cannot go by the petition as its mostly only forum users and if the numbers that keep popping up are to be believed that most of the APAC region!
Nothing like alienating a whole region, better than a nuke...
And of those 800 that signed that petition, how many of them are going to stay subbed and continue playing on the Harbringer/Bastion? :P

Closing APAC is only going to have a miniscule impact on their subscriber base, while saving a lot in costs. Smart business decision. Given the bad state of the company, I don't blame them.

aliashero
04.10.2013 , 08:01 PM | #5043
Quote: Originally Posted by iheartnyc View Post
And of those 800 that signed that petition, how many of them are going to stay subbed and continue playing on the Harbringer/Bastion? :P

Closing APAC is only going to have a miniscule impact on their subscriber base, while saving a lot in costs. Smart business decision. Given the bad state of the company, I don't blame them.
Yeah exactly. Most people understand this.

What most people, me included, seem to be annoyed about is the way they are trying to spin it. If they had just said 'we're closing it down, not making any profit from it, can't support the server costs any longer given the player base on all 3 servers' I think most people would react like this:

'well that sucks, but fair enough.'

iheartnyc
04.10.2013 , 08:06 PM | #5044
Quote: Originally Posted by aliashero View Post
Yeah exactly. Most people understand this.

What most people, me included, seem to be annoyed about is the way they are trying to spin it. If they had just said 'we're closing it down, not making any profit from it, can't support the server costs any longer given the player base on all 3 servers' I think most people would react like this:

'well that sucks, but fair enough.'
Well obviously they're not going to come out on a public forum and tell the whole world, "Hey, we're struggling so we need to cut costs. Don't mind if you short our stock by the way!"

There are legal implications to any such announcements. EA would not be allowed to "selectively" publish material information that may be relevant to an investor, without making widespread dissemination of that same information to all of its shareholders. E.g., they would have to make a big deal about it by doing an SEC filing, press release, publishing on their website. Not. Going. To. Happen.

I'm 95% sure about my theory above is exactly what has and is happening. The only real question is a question of fact - is EA in such dire condition that EA needs to close the servers down? There really is no point in you guys getting so worked up over this anymore. You will not get the "straight" answer because Eric nor anybody else at Bioware has the authority. This is EA we are talking about, not some small private gaming company. They use advsior firms such as Sullivan & Cromwell, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Goldman Sachs...every single press release they issue is likely vetted and reviewed by their advisors...and here we are demanding poor Eric to go against his orders and spill the beans.

aliashero
04.10.2013 , 08:15 PM | #5045
Well obviously they're not going to come out on a public forum and tell the whole world, "Hey, we're struggling so we need to cut costs. Don't mind if you short our stock by the way!"

There are legal implications to any such announcements. EA would not be allowed to "selectively" publish material information that may be relevant to an investor, without making widespread dissemination of that same information to all of its shareholders. E.g., they would have to make a big deal about it by doing an SEC filing, press release, publishing on their website. Not. Going. To. Happen.
No one's arguing with you about the reasons.

All we're saying it's very disappointing, and frustrating for apac players, they are insulting our intelligence by the spin they put on it.

Andryah
04.10.2013 , 08:23 PM | #5046
The Harbringer general chats...wow. Every other chat is "Obama is a [****]" or "Your wife loves my [&&&&&&]". Whoever said PVE servers are nicer?
LOL.. yeah.. we have a bit of a vermin problem in /general chats on the server.

I just set out bacon laced traps for them and move on.

On a positive note... I don't see the Aussies on the server contributing much to the vermin population on the server, at least not so far.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

iheartnyc
04.10.2013 , 08:34 PM | #5047
No one's arguing with you about the reasons.

All we're saying it's very disappointing, and frustrating for apac players, they are insulting our intelligence by the spin they put on it.
Well to be blunt, it's very naive (and possibly unintelligent) to expect EA to violate their fiduciary duties to its shareholders and violate their legal obligations by selectively disclosing material non-public information to you on a message board.

aliashero
04.10.2013 , 08:52 PM | #5048
Well to be blunt, it's very naive (and possibly unintelligent) to expect EA to violate their fiduciary duties to its shareholders and violate their legal obligations by selectively disclosing material non-public information to you on a message board.
No one is expecting them to, me included.

Doesn't change the fact it's still very disappointing.

iheartnyc
04.10.2013 , 09:01 PM | #5049
No one is expecting them to, me included.

Doesn't change the fact it's still very disappointing.
I think there have been over 50 posts in this thread asking for Eric to come out and say the "real reason" plus another couple hundred posts scattered around these forums trying to argue with Eric's rationale regarding APAC server shut-down, without stopping to consider that there are bigger issues at play here.

aliashero
04.10.2013 , 09:13 PM | #5050
I think there have been over 50 posts in this thread asking for Eric to come out and say the "real reason" plus another couple hundred posts scattered around these forums trying to argue with Eric's rationale regarding APAC server shut-down, without stopping to consider that there are bigger issues at play here.
They are just venting, no one *expects* them to actually do it.

Everyone complains about politicians lying through their teeth too, and calls for them to tell the truth. No one actually expects it to happen.