Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardmode "manners"

chimex
04.08.2013 , 07:08 AM | #241
Bah! I can see both sides of the fence on this one. OP, while I sympathize with you a lot with your situation, you're loosing more supporters by insulting people and calling people "eleetz" etc.

I think the best way to resolve these nasty issues (being an anonymous group, it is inevitable that these situations will pop up time and time again), is to consider what situation the other three players are in. By this, I don't mean that you should simply bend over backwards to appease a single person in the group (even if that single person is yourself!) but instead, use communication at the earliest opportunity. Quite frankly, I see no reason in dropping a quick "hello" and a polite summery of your expectations of the (HM)FP cannot be relayed to the rest of the group at the start of the run.

I understand (and sometimes get impatient behind the keyboard) that people have run X FP Y number of times. Yes, some of the cutscenes can become very repetitive. I also understand that skipping trash mobs xy & z can shave a couple of minutes off the run.
I also understand that when people are new, they do require a little patience. We have all been new to a FP once, if anyone says they have NEVER made a mistake in a FP even once is a liar I also understand that some people REALLY enjoy watching the cutscenes. Why not? They are part of this very plot driven MMO after all.

However, the key words here are communication (as stated above) and compromise. If through a quick convo at the start of the FP you find that one person does not want to skip (maybe they wish to collect some gear), and enjoys cutscenes, yet you want to skip both mobs (and in extension, mini bosses), and cutscenes, there is plenty of room to compromise. Why not come to an agreement, surely two people can agree on something like skipping trash mobs but completing the mini bosses? Or, skipping fights but watching cutscenes (apart from esseles and BT, most cutscenes are about 30-60 seconds tops anyway!)

Is it really that difficult to meet someplace in the middle?

Personally, I always ask the group at the beginning if this is their first time through the run. If someone says yes, I will ask (politely) the group to pause before a boss fight, so I can give a quick (but clear) explanation of the mechanics. In fairness, this benefits everybody. nobody wants to wipe because someone isn't too sure of the tactics involved, do they? I might be assuming here, but I think a quick 2-3 sentence explanation before a boss is chumps change compared to two wipes, a massive repair bill and rage quitting (something I refuse to practice btw.)

Ofc, if everyone has run the FP before, then it should be done swiftly and easily (providing there are no major slip ups, which happen to the best of us on bad days)

x
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

Elyssandra
04.08.2013 , 10:48 AM | #242
Thread title is 'Hardmode "manners"'

Oh the irony...

dipstik
04.08.2013 , 12:39 PM | #243
sometimes i feel like /ignore is my only friend

ekwalizer
04.08.2013 , 04:56 PM | #244
If you run into an a** hole in the morning, you ran into an a** hole. If you run into a** holes all day long, then YOU are the a** hole.

DeadDogBarking
04.09.2013 , 01:56 AM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by USCG_Davis View Post
Ah right. You're not complaining; you're insulting the players who have done this flashpoint hundreds of times. I apologize for getting that confused. And if you were following the leader and you still got stuck; I fail to see how that isn't 100% your fault. This sounds very much to me like a player who has zero clue what he's doing elder game and wants to be catered to.
/thread
If the flashpoint is a race go run it by yourself.
I am not a great player and I have major memory problems so I will never play a Defender or choose to lead.
I assume that 1out of 5 players may have never done the encounter and they do have an equal right to set the pace. Memorizing every hidden path to get by mobs is part of the game but should not be an make or break decision. Also if someone lives where they do not get great internet connection their lag can go up and down due to many issues causing less effective management of the toon. I was in the middle of a mob before they appeared and of course they all followed me. Luckily in that group just about everybody made a play error.

I am more upset when nobody says "ready" or marks the CC or gives the Merc the chance to AOE instead of CCing everything.

I will always try to be polite. I only kick people who blame everything on others or brag about themselves. OR THOSE WHO SELECT GREED more than once. It is a group finder and one persons elder game is not the same as everbody else s.

DonkeyGobbler
04.09.2013 , 02:52 AM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by DeadDogBarking View Post
I will always try to be polite. I only kick people who blame everything on others or brag about themselves. OR THOSE WHO SELECT GREED more than once.
Please tell me you mean need and not greed...

Jossajus
04.09.2013 , 03:14 AM | #247
If the flashpoint is a race go run it by yourself.
I am not a great player and I have major memory problems so I will never play a Defender or choose to lead.
I assume that 1out of 5 players may have never done the encounter and they do have an equal right to set the pace. Memorizing every hidden path to get by mobs is part of the game but should not be an make or break decision. Also if someone lives where they do not get great internet connection their lag can go up and down due to many issues causing less effective management of the toon. I was in the middle of a mob before they appeared and of course they all followed me. Luckily in that group just about everybody made a play error.

I am more upset when nobody says "ready" or marks the CC or gives the Merc the chance to AOE instead of CCing everything.

I will always try to be polite. I only kick people who blame everything on others or brag about themselves. OR THOSE WHO SELECT GREED more than once. It is a group finder and one persons elder game is not the same as everbody else s.
Let's try to look at this objectively. At lvl 50, you get NO xp. NONE. There is no point in wasting everyone's time with every mob when it could be better spent elsewhere. Clearing mobs isn't even fun, especially for tanks / healers. We could speed through 2 clears ( or more ) of the same FP in the time it takes to full clear it once. It may be moderately enjoyable for dps, who get to flex their dps muscles without fear of getting hit, but for tanks / healers it just means more work for no gain. It also means extra chances to wipe ( The group I was tanking for wiped once on a memorable occaison when we were clearing mobs and one of them somehow "pushed" me 60m off a cliff. ) And let's face it, I'm a pretty profficient tank. Many aren't. They may wipe the group just because if incompetence or inexperience.

Furthermore:
- Mobs don't drop gear.
- Give no xp.
- Give marginal creds
- May wipe the group COSTING creds to repair gear.
- Slow the FP down.

Why would anyone want to run a full clear at lvl 50? The whole point of HMFP's is to get Columi gear to run SM OPS, where you get gear to run HM OPS, where you get gear to run NiM OPS. There's literally nothing to gain from fighting an optional boss that DOESN'T drop Columi gear. Just another chance to wipe and cost everyone credits for repairs.

The people who are arguing for full clears aren't arguing rationally. They are providing arguments like, "I want to use all those shiny abilities that I worked so hard to get!" and "I am a completionist and like to clear everything." Now, I don't have a problem with that when you're just wasting your own time, but when you waste your entire group's time you're just being inconsiderate. I would kick you for intentionally pulling mobs that didn't need to be fought so fast that you wouldn't even have time to type your nerdrage farewell.

Now, back to YOUR post. The part about CCing instead of letting your merc put out AOE is ludicrous. CC exists for a reason. If you pull 3-4 elites and a whole bunch of standard/strong enemies you're going to wipe. It's impossible for the healer to keep up with the tank's rapidly falling health. Not to mention he'll have to blow his taunts to save your sorry merc behind when you pull aggro from at least half of the mobs because you like to use "Death From Above." I know it looks cool. It's the coolest looking ability in the entire game. But to sacrifice a clean, smooth run so you can look cool? No thank you. CC like a good little DPS and leave your "Death From Above for a large pack of weak enemies. (Like the ones on Taral V that you should never fight in a HM run because you shouldn't be doing the bonus anyways.)

Your statement about letting ppl new to the FP having a say in the speed of how it's run? False. The tank sets the speed, always. If he doesn't pull a pack of enemies, neither do you. When he's standing in front of a pack of enemies and isn't doing anything, that ISN'T your cue to pull. He's probably marking kill order or CC's, or letting you know something about the fight. If the tank is new to the FP, he'll let you know. Then one of the more experienced players will show him the paths to take and stop before each fight so he can pull them.

And by the way, if 6 pieces of Tank gear drop, I'll NEED on every single one of them (as long as they're an upgrade) and you have no right to tell me I can't. So I should lose a valuable piece of gear because you want a few more creds? No group in their right mind would kick me. They may be cursing the drops, but they wouldn't kick ME for NEEDING on MY gear. You'd just look like a fool.

If you want more rules to DPSing HM FPs, check out my earlier post. I'm assuming by your attitude that you, like our illustrious and mysteriously disappearing OP, are new to end game.
"When you're happy, you enjoy the music. When you're sad, you understand the lyrics." - Frank Ocean

Elyssandra
04.09.2013 , 10:01 AM | #248
I am more upset when nobody says "ready" or marks the CC or gives the Merc the chance to AOE instead of CCing everything....
I will always try to be polite. I only kick people who blame everything on others or brag about themselves. OR THOSE WHO SELECT GREED more than once.
Your post is full of win.

Seireeni
04.09.2013 , 10:08 AM | #249
I greed everything I don't need lol. xDDD You get money from it, and tbh the main thing I do with my level 50s is collecting money so I can buy some nice custom gear and stuff for characters I'm leveling.

DonkeyGobbler
04.09.2013 , 10:16 AM | #250
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I greed everything I don't need lol.
That's what greed is there for, hence me questioning whether he meant need. Regardless, if kit drops and it's an upgrade to your main (not your alts - we all have alts with different main stats!) you're entitled to need on it and let the RNG decide. The clue is in the language:

Need: Require
Greed: Desire

The only time I pass is when I'm running with friends, guildies or lowbies and think they'll benefit more than me.