Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Shadows Fall

Aurbere
04.08.2013 , 02:59 PM | #1
Hey everyone! I am continuing my fan-fic series with the third installment in The Master's story.

If you missed the previous ones, give them a read.

Part 1: The Breaking Point

Part 2: The Darkness Waits

This should prove to be my 'Revenge of the Sith,' which means that people are going to die. Can't say who, but deaths are unavoidable. Let's get underway then, shall we?

The Master's thoughts will be written in Italic

Prologue

Spoiler
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Ventessel
04.09.2013 , 05:24 PM | #2
Huh. I was kind of expecting a little more of an evil plan than the old "Communications Override Request" for the people to rise up against their government...
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
Kaggath Brawl: Round One Round Two
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Aurbere
04.09.2013 , 05:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Huh. I was kind of expecting a little more of an evil plan than the old "Communications Override Request" for the people to rise up against their government...
Well I guess it's a good thing that that's only the beginning. The stoy has a long way to go. This part of the plan is just to make his replacement of the Alliance a bit easier.

Though, I'm pretty sure future actions will make that more difficult.
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Ventessel
04.09.2013 , 05:49 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Well I guess it's a good thing that that's only the beginning. The stoy has a long way to go. This part of the plan is just to make his replacement of the Alliance a bit easier.

Though, I'm pretty sure future actions will make that more difficult.
It's more that the story hasn't really focused on any setup for a mass uprising, so it's a jarring transition to swallow as a reader. There's been a lot of ducking around in the shadows without any clear outcomes aside from capturing the prism and using it as a battering ram.
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

Aurbere
04.09.2013 , 06:00 PM | #5
It's more that the story hasn't really focused on any setup for a mass uprising, so it's a jarring transition to swallow as a reader. There's been a lot of ducking around in the shadows without any clear outcomes aside from capturing the prism and using it as a battering ram.
I didn't want it to be expected. I didn't want to build up to it, because it is something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To The Master, the people don't matter. They are tools for his ascension. If his speech didn't stir the masses, then he doesn't care.

What truly matters, is what he does during the war. That's what is being focused on.

Ventessel
04.09.2013 , 06:41 PM | #6
I didn't want it to be expected. I didn't want to build up to it, because it is something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. To The Master, the people don't matter. They are tools for his ascension. If his speech didn't stir the masses, then he doesn't care.

What truly matters, is what he does during the war. That's what is being focused on.
Hmmm. There's a certain level of foreshadowing that makes revelations about a certain character's plans satisfying, but on the other hand if something doesn't matter to the viewpoint character (the Master, in this case) then you're left sort of detached from the plot. Since the focus was on the speech, it seems like it should matter. Otherwise, wouldn't the focus be on the parts of his plan that the Master cares about?

Aurbere
04.09.2013 , 06:51 PM | #7
Hmmm. There's a certain level of foreshadowing that makes revelations about a certain character's plans satisfying, but on the other hand if something doesn't matter to the viewpoint character (the Master, in this case) then you're left sort of detached from the plot. Since the focus was on the speech, it seems like it should matter. Otherwise, wouldn't the focus be on the parts of his plan that the Master cares about?
That's a good point, however, I'm just getting started. You'll just have to see how the plan unravels.

Ventessel
04.12.2013 , 06:19 AM | #8
That's a good point, however, I'm just getting started. You'll just have to see how the plan unravels.
That is the difficulty in writing elaborate plots. I don't know if it's like this for you, but I'm constantly fighting the temptation to just set the galaxy ablaze right away and start the mayhem.

Beniboybling
04.12.2013 , 06:22 AM | #9
Been busy of late so I haven't been able to give this a read... I couldn't help but think of Grievous when reading that chpt. looking forward to more!

Aurbere
04.12.2013 , 05:22 PM | #10
That is the difficulty in writing elaborate plots. I don't know if it's like this for you, but I'm constantly fighting the temptation to just set the galaxy ablaze right away and start the mayhem.
I really do want to get into the action right now, but it's not going to happen yet. Rest assured that the galaxy will be (almost literally) on fire later on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Been busy of late so I haven't been able to give this a read... I couldn't help but think of Grievous when reading that chpt. looking forward to more!
Dangnabit, you have to make the time! No just kidding, read at your own pace.

But, yeah, I guess he did give off a Grievous vibe. That was completely unintentional, but also cool that you pointed that out.

Chapter 1

Spoiler