Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

one-time password

SpuaFlex
04.05.2013 , 10:52 AM | #1
ive seen that one time password security measure. it has asked me for a password at least 4 times logging into the game or the website. obviously that isnt a ONE-TIME password. what could be the deal with this? its a hassle to keep logging into email randomly everytime just to get a code to play.

DarthTHC
04.05.2013 , 10:56 AM | #2
The name "one-time" refers to how long it's good for, not how many times you might be asked to enter it. I've learned through experience that if you are asked for a one-time password and you mis-type it, that invalidates the one-time password you were sent and you need the system to send another one.

If you want to minimize the number of times the authentication system asks you for a one-time password, the most certain way to do it is by attaching a security key to your account.

Other alternatives might include ensuring your browser accepts cookies from swtor.com, but that's little more than a theory at this point.

CosmicKat
04.05.2013 , 12:45 PM | #3
This is a pretty common tactic used by business when it wants to restrict an activity, in this case posting on the forums. Put up enough roadblocks and people will eventually just stop posting and the forum will be left to the paid spokespeople, I mean uber-fans, who only have nice things to say about the product.

SlimsPicken
04.05.2013 , 12:53 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
This is a pretty common tactic used by business when it wants to restrict an activity, in this case posting on the forums. Put up enough roadblocks and people will eventually just stop posting and the forum will be left to the paid spokespeople, I mean uber-fans, who only have nice things to say about the product.
true enough. sometimes i come in to post my vitriol, but by the time im done logging in 12 passwords and security keys, I run out of steam.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

CosmicKat
04.05.2013 , 01:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
true enough. sometimes i come in to post my vitriol, but by the time im done logging in 12 passwords and security keys, I run out of steam.
The worst part is having to read the posts from our resident ultra-boosters when not logged in and not having the luxury of the ignore list.

slafko
04.05.2013 , 01:51 PM | #6
I log in to the game, enter the first one-time password. Five minutes later, I want to check the forums and I'm given another one-time password. Not only does it not make any sense, it's annoying as hell.

Vandicus
04.05.2013 , 02:01 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I log in to the game, enter the first one-time password. Five minutes later, I want to check the forums and I'm given another one-time password. Not only does it not make any sense, it's annoying as hell.
Get a security key on a smartphone, or download a smartphone emulator and get the security key app for it on your computer.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

CosmicKat
04.05.2013 , 02:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Get a security key on a smartphone, or download a smartphone emulator and get the security key app for it on your computer.
There is no reason why we should need to incorporate cellphones into a PC game that does not in any way use cellphones. Phones are not very secure and it seems the only legitimate reason that they are incorporating them into the security features is to get more personal information to use for advertising purposes.

Kilora
04.05.2013 , 02:20 PM | #9
There is no reason why we should need to incorporate cellphones into a PC game that does not in any way use cellphones. Phones are not very secure and it seems the only legitimate reason that they are incorporating them into the security features is to get more personal information to use for advertising purposes.
Uh, what? What personal information do they gain from me when I download the iPhone app....? They already have my email addy -- thats required.

Also, Apple doesn't take kindly to apps meant to take peoples information solely for marketing purposes. Blizzard has the exact same deal, although I think there is slightly less of a problem with rotating IPs when not using an authenticator for their stuff.

As far as phone vs game -- Dev already commented on that today. Game won't continue to ask for the OTP if you're logging in from the same IP. Forums are separate from the game, for obvious reasons. If you don't allow cookies -- you'll have to enter it every single time.

Vandicus
04.05.2013 , 02:21 PM | #10
Most "hacking" of accounts is done through phishing attempts and the like. Security keys are actually a rather good way to solve user related security problems. Its available in solid form as well, and both emulators and the app version are available at no cost.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!