Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Bounty Hunter story is broken

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The Bounty Hunter story is broken

Allronix
04.05.2013 , 12:44 AM | #21
OK, so I my main is a Shadow Consular. I've had a great time with her, going from planet to planet defusing political situations about to go nuclear, gathering an army, rolling into Corellia like a boss to put the smack down on the Emperor's Manchurian Agent network, and generally being Ambad*ssador. But, I've hit Level 50, maxed out affection with most of my crew (Zenith is hard to pry anything from, Tharan was shockingly easy to max out), got to the end of my class quest, and the HK-51 quest required an Imperial alt. But, I check the boards here for ideas, and they're all "Consular story stinks! The Republic is a bunch of stinking hypocrites and incompetants! Play a Bounty Hunter or Imperial Agent."

I figure, let's go Hunter. Ever since Canderous, I've got a soft spot for the Mando'ade, and my relationship to the nutcases running the Empire would boil down to "You di'kute pay me." And that Act 3 option? Yeah, I think I want to go there. There's also that cameo appearance Mako makes in the consular's story and the fact Qyzen used to be one of Braden's crew. Figured if the old man employed the big guy, and the big guy still speaks of him fondly, then he couldn't be couldn't be too bad.

So, I already walked in planning to play a LS Hunter. Not Light V, mind you, but still as decent/honorable as you can get while still being a gun for hire. I rolled her as a Miraluka (same as my Consular) to boot. I came up with a backstory; her colony is in contested space, and got caught in Republic-Imperial crossfire. Worse, the Exchange has decided the planet was theirs, since the superpowers can't make a decision one way or another. She was part of a vigilante group that decided to shoot back after the Exchange hassled them one too many times. It got her exiled (because non-Jedi Miraluka tend to be pacifists), but she found she was good with a blaster. Working as hired muscle on smuggling boats, she eventually got Braden's attention. Now, if Mako and Qyzen are any indication, the old man ran as clean of a shop as you could get for mercenary work. And while the Hutts are scum, the Cartel and the Exchange are rivals, and she just hates the Exchange a tiiny bit more. As for the Great Hunt? Well, the old homestead might not want her back, but they might not argue with a stack of credits that could go a long way to buying food, medicine, and support. After Braden gets killed? Well, she'll follow through to honor the old man and to smack Blood into the next sector. And Mako's a good kid; if she insists on joining the profession, might as well teach her the ropes and set the same good example Braden would.

So far? I hate playing Imperial. Hate it, hate it, hate it! I figured hearing their side of the story would make me more sympathetic to them. WRONG! If anything, they're a bigger sack of crazy nutjobs than I took them for. Blatant racism, not so blatant sexism, noses so high in the air they ought to drown in the shower, paranoia and backstabbing as standard operating procedure, treating the common people and enlisted men like crap, the Sith unaccountable to anything, corruption that's even worse than the Republic, an untenable reliance on slave labor...So far, Braden, Mako, Crysta, the Revanites, and "the Duchess" are among the few characters I haven't wanted to introduce to my blaster and/or an airlock.

Now, playing a light-sided Hunter? Well, I get to troll these idiots mercilessly and get paid for it. That young and stupid Sith? What's more humiliating; killing her outright or beating the snot out of her, carbon freezing her, and sending her back to Daddy for a spanking? That spook that wanted me to take out his boss? Figured he would double-cross me because the Imperials are just that way. So might as well leave his boss in that temple - his mind's gone anyway. If he snaps out of it, then that junior spook deserves what he gets for not taking care of it himself. That twit on Balmorra that wants you to do his dirty work? Oh, you can screw him over every step of the way and his boss will thank you for it. Granted, things will get a little more troubling later on; I'm on Balmorra at the moment. But I do the minimum required to get my bonus XP, and I've refused a couple jobs that cross the line (you want me to poison the water suppy of those "alien" slaves so they die horribly after you just called me "alien scum?" Do it yourself, jerk).

Bottom line: I'm not an Imperial. I don't even LIKE these guys. But Mako and I gotta eat, and Republic's not hiring (yet). They make an offer and I'll totally be willing to talk.
Alylia Terel of Guild Meridius, Bergen Colony
Meridius: Offering Assistance to Friends of the Republic. World Bosses, Imperials, and Sith defeated. Datacrons procured and worlds explored.

Never_Hesitate
04.05.2013 , 02:04 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
seeing as a Lightside Bounty Hunter still helps the Empire do all the terrible things across Tatooine, and Balmorra for no reason other than money. But the entire first act is nothing but the Bounty Hunter hunting and murdering people for sport.
here you have it:
A bh does things for money, it's his job to hunt bounties it doesn't matter if he's a light or dark side character
The difference between this two is, that the light side bh does only kill achieve his goals while the dark side bh will kill and torture with pleasure.
Both kill for their money.
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

zzoorrzz
04.05.2013 , 03:32 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
here you have it:
A bh does things for money, it's his job to hunt bounties it doesn't matter if he's a light or dark side character
The difference between this two is, that the light side bh does only kill achieve his goals while the dark side bh will kill and torture with pleasure.
Both kill for their money.
Yeah, based on the movies, Bobba Fett is most likely light side guy, how ironic

HaoZhao
05.31.2013 , 12:26 PM | #24
There's a lot of confusion here. The light-side bounty hunter isn't a psychopath. You don't take missions to find little Susie playing with her friends at the school yard followed by killing her and the witnesses. The people you're given bounties for during the class story are typically scumbags. They're people that The Punisher would take out. The light side hunter is someone who is ridding the galaxy of its worst criminals and making money along the way. Even during the great hunt, your targets are criminals.

The problem is that people only seem to be able to define "light side" from the context of the perfect Jedi Master model. Light side and dark side should always be contextually applied to the class in question. A bounty hunter is someone who hunts people for money. Therefore a light side bounty hunter HAS to be someone who still hunts people for money. If you don't collect bounties, you're not a bounty hunter.

SW_display_name
05.31.2013 , 12:58 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
Probably the moment that sums it up the whole disconnect between character and story and gameplay was one scene in Nar Shadda when the Hunter breaks into an office murders everyone there and then can spare the last survivor say "What do you think I am, a psychopath?" I actually began to wonder if that was intentional.

I get that maybe Lightside might mean different things for an Empire character than it would a Republic one but Why would MAko and a Lightside Hunter have any sort of moral standards when they thoughtlessly kill hundreds of others every day? The ones that either of them do want to spare seem totally arbitrary in the end.
Have you ever played a Light Side anything? This is how every mission goes:
  1. Kill 200-300 soldiers, lackeys, subordinates, mind-controlled allies, confused pets, etc.
  2. Confront the mastermind.
  3. Beat him to 1 health point so he drops to his knees and grows a green triangle out of his head.
  4. Spare his life to show you are Light Side.

The BH story is no different in this manner.

If it upsets you sufficiently you can refuse to attack anyone until they've beaten you to < 50% of your Health. Then you can react in self-defense. Bonus LS points for spending the time pre-50% attempting to negotiate with "Eidolon Security Overseer" via /say to put down his weapons and surrender.

AbsolutGrndZero
05.31.2013 , 02:06 PM | #26
Um did you all play the same Bounty Hunter storyline I did (and I am talking about the actual BH story, not the side quests)? I very rarely KILLED any of my targets, I captured them and returned them to the client. If they kill them afterward, well, it's out of my hands. Seriously... the only people I killed was random stuff you got to kill cause it's an MMO. Actual story people, I killed...

Spoiler

I followed The Bounty Hunter's Creed which is canon from the comics and games, and by about level 35 had 10,000 affection with Mako, having not given her a single gift. My final alignment at 50 after completing all main and side quests was Light II.

Now, as for the side quests, I realize some of them, especially Taris and Belsavis, can be a bit much, but really the Bounty Hunter doesn't care about light or dark. They aren't force users, so the dark side isn't going to corrupt them. Strong emotions won't make them fall to the dark side, Jedi, Sith, it's all nonsense to them. What matters is the job. Now, the level of that, well, that depends on your character. For a TRUE Star Wars Bounty Hunter, you would follow the Creed. If you think Boba Fett is the "true" bounty hunter though, well Boba Fett WAS IMO a psychopathic killer who used bounty hunting as a way to get legal permission to kill people... there's a reason Darth Vader had to say "NO DISINTEGRATIONS!" to him. Disintigrators are a nasty and sadistic weapon banned in both the Republic and Imperial space. Not even the Imperial Navy uses them!
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Bytemite
06.02.2013 , 07:27 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
Have you ever played a Light Side anything? This is how every mission goes:
  1. Kill 200-300 soldiers, lackeys, subordinates, mind-controlled allies, confused pets, etc.
  2. Confront the mastermind.
  3. Beat him to 1 health point so he drops to his knees and grows a green triangle out of his head.
  4. Spare his life to show you are Light Side.

The BH story is no different in this manner.

If it upsets you sufficiently you can refuse to attack anyone until they've beaten you to < 50% of your Health. Then you can react in self-defense. Bonus LS points for spending the time pre-50% attempting to negotiate with "Eidolon Security Overseer" via /say to put down his weapons and surrender.
My personal headcanon is that none of the guys you kill enroute to your story cutscene actually die. They have a medical plan a lot like yours that rehabilitates them in the field after a few minutes. They also revive their pets, much like your character does with their companions.

So in this interpretation only the people you CHOOSE to kill in a cutscene, or have to kill to defend yourself in a storyline fight, or who are confirmed killed by someone else in a cutscene actually stay dead. Therefore dark side points! And therefore light side points if you spare them. And whenever someone mentions the number of people you've killed and they aren't specific about someone you DID actually kill in the storyline, it's just speculation/exaggeration. Otherwise yeah, your pure light side JK/Consular woulda been drummed out of the order back on Tython.

ThePasserby
07.03.2013 , 08:32 AM | #28
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the manner in which the BH got his spaceship.

Spoiler

Atramar
07.03.2013 , 08:46 AM | #29
my favorite quest is republic side, you get antidote to save sand people.
but to inject that antidote, you need to wipe their village.

screw logic, it's star wars.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

xxforcardassia
07.03.2013 , 01:19 PM | #30
Seems to me what people either forget or don't seem to understand when playing an Imperial aligned character, there is no goody-two-shoes way to play it. Light sides decisions inherently tend to be pro-Empire, not bleeding heart "save the Ewoks!" mentality.

But if you ask me, best way to play (if you're not looking to min-max alignment) is turn off alignment gain visual indicators. I especially find this works well with playing a Trooper, in addition to the BH. I did this with my own BH and from beginning to end in the class story, I ended up at a Light III without even *trying* to be light sided. I played the way I envisioned my BH to be and never stopped to think to myself "this story doesn't fit with being LS".

The fact of the matter seems to be, many aspects of SWTOR are built on the notion of ideals more than black and white, light vs dark. The downside to this is the fact that light and dark point gains don't fall in line with the "grey area" they have when it comes to the rest of the game. I know personally there were numerous light sided options I took on my SW or BH that were made for one reason: personal gain. Last time I checked, that tends to fall in line more with the the dark side notion

Everything else aside, I think BH had not only the best (female) VA, but best story and companions (except Skadge, he can go diaf while screwing a brick for all I care).

Anyway, just my 2c.