Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In Now Live

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Phillip_BW
04.04.2013 , 02:26 PM | #71 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Then how come i have to get that code of yours EVERY time i log out of the forum and want to log back in? I just tried it - and i have the same IP now as i had before i logged out, and even so i still had to get the code. Why?

EDIT: And fyi, being forced to spend around 28h per year just login into my email if i wanna make 5 separate posts on your forum each day, thats not an inconvenience - It's insane.

I've been looking into this, and while your game authentications (10+ times logged in) are working as expected without you getting prompted for an OTP, you are indeed getting prompted too often when logging on to the website.

From what we are seeing in the logs, it appears you are using 'incognito' mode, or disallowing cookies to be saved within the browser. This could be something you have done on purpose to stop being tracked by ad trackers (I do something similar using a NoScript addon in conjunction with a Ghostery addon), or something an addon in your browser is doing for you without you realizing.

Either way, stopping cookies from being able to be saved for the SWTOR website will mean that you get prompted every time you open the browser and go to the website.

You could use a different browser that hasn't been customized as a test (log in once to create cookie, close browser and go to SWTOR again to see if you get prompted again). I'd be interested in the results.

Phillip Holmes
SWTOR Head of Security

Heezdedjim
04.04.2013 , 03:32 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
From what we are seeing in the logs, it appears you are using 'incognito' mode, or disallowing cookies to be saved within the browser. This could be something you have done on purpose to stop being tracked by ad trackers (I do something similar using a NoScript addon in conjunction with a Ghostery addon), or something an addon in your browser is doing for you without you realizing.
The least you could do here is put an interval (once a day, once a week, whatever) on how often you will be required to use the OTP, given that a lot of people are not willing to (nor should they need to) dial back their client side personal security settings just to accomodate the fact that one website insists on using this particular mechanic (i.e., they will continue to run browser settings that refuse cookies or clear all history, use "InPrivate" browing, or clear all history and cache on exit).

None of the websites that I use on a regular basis that have legitimate "sensitive" personal data on me have a problem dealing with the fact that I always set browsers to the most draconian, anonymous, and "incognito" settings. Websites with information that I actually care about like my bank, credit card, loan servicers, and the one I do my taxes on all are able to secure my information without using OTP mechanics or relying on client side cookies to keep state with me.

If these companies that deal with the most sensitive personal financial information I have can manage the security of my data adequately without depending on loosened client side settings, then so can you.

Twin
04.04.2013 , 03:32 PM | #73

I've been looking into this, and while your game authentications (10+ times logged in) are working as expected without you getting prompted for an OTP, you are indeed getting prompted too often when logging on to the website.

Either way, stopping cookies from being able to be saved for the SWTOR website will mean that you get prompted every time you open the browser and go to the website.

You could use a different browser that hasn't been customized as a test (log in once to create cookie, close browser and go to SWTOR again to see if you get prompted again). I'd be interested in the results.
Yeah, i often use applications that cleans out my cookies etc, as safety measure since im not the only one with access to this computer. I did realise that was the reason for what's happening.

So what this means is, either i get prompted every time - or i lower my personal safety measures on my computer? Which is kinda counterproductive since one of the reasons i do this is to prevent others from access to my email...
TWINMOON
"Click my -Referral Link- below for some helpful rewards
http://www.swtor.com/r/kBLBlJ
Reward Info: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends

-Wes-
04.04.2013 , 03:43 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
So what this means is, either i get prompted every time - or i lower my personal safety measures on my computer? Which is kinda counterproductive since one of the reasons i do this is to prevent others from access to my email...
You can also set up exceptions to allow cookies on individual sites. For example, on Firefox, this is under Options -> Privacy -> History, then choose "custom settings for History."

It doesn't solve the ISP IP address issue, of course. But, lucky for me, my access device is flaking out and won't connect anyway, so problem solved!
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Referral Link

Heezdedjim
04.04.2013 , 03:47 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by -Wes- View Post
You can also set up exceptions to allow cookies on individual sites. For example, on Firefox, this is under Options -> Privacy -> History, then choose "custom settings for History."
Not going to do it; nor should I have to. Other sites can maintain high security without forcing this. So can this one.

Enddersshadow
04.04.2013 , 04:07 PM | #76
This is rediculous to have to chesk E-mail every single time i either log into the site or the game!! EVERY TIME. Tell me this is going to be changed

XendorRyuthokar
04.04.2013 , 04:09 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Enddersshadow View Post
This is rediculous to have to chesk E-mail every single time i either log into the site or the game!! EVERY TIME. Tell me this is going to be changed
Atleast you get your ONE-TIME! password everytime! I have not received a single password to my SWTOR Email account.
Ebon Hawk server
Rruothk'ar - Pauperor - Nebuleus - Dhakragol - Necrodameus

Skodan
04.04.2013 , 04:38 PM | #78

the cookies cause it to happen. It was happening to me because i dont want family members seeing what sites i go to , so i have had my browser setup to where all the history, cookies, cached data, etc was cleared everytime i closed my window.

i turned off those settings and it stopped popping up with the one-time password stuff
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

XendorRyuthokar
04.04.2013 , 05:08 PM | #79
I need to send a thanks out to the customer service rep who finally helped me, too bad i didnt catch her name, id post it. I find ironic its the first time I did not recieve a ticket number either? anycase was on hold for 4 hours, the previous agent sent my ticket to a closed office and left me on hold..... lol not kidding if you are on hold for 2 hours hang up!

This agent helped me set up new email, sent me password, waited to see that it worked and then apologized,

There are good customer service reps at Bioware, unfortunately took me 4 attempts and 8 hours on hold to finally find one who knew how to assist with the one time password/email adress.
Ebon Hawk server
Rruothk'ar - Pauperor - Nebuleus - Dhakragol - Necrodameus

Elminster_cs
04.04.2013 , 05:51 PM | #80

Can you please provide some information on why several mail are not able to recive the one time code?
There are people that are no able to log in with this thing. Thanks.
Member of Dread Master. The Red Eclipse Italian Guild.