Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PTS Closing? What happened to Merc/Mando changes Eric Musco??????

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
PTS Closing? What happened to Merc/Mando changes Eric Musco??????

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

revansowns
04.01.2013 , 07:01 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh View Post
No, it doesn't work like that. Prior to 2.0, you need 5 stacks of Heat Signature in order for your HSM to deal +25% damage. After 2.0, you will need only 1 Heat Signature to achieve the same +25% effect. Also, Tracer Missile only ever applies the 1 Heat Signature. Heat Signature no longer stacks, it reduces armor by 20% all at once, and it lasts 45 seconds.

What this change does is remove the "build up" at the start of a new fight. There are still "build up" mechanics in the Arsenal tree, but none that affects the TM and HSM relationship. The effect is marginalized by longer fights, but it should be noticeably more awesome in short fights (soloing, non-boss fights, and PVPing).

Also, I triple checked this, but HSM does about 16% more damage in 2.0 than it did prior to 2.0 (from a coefficient of 2.39 to a coefficient of 2.77). I believe this change went undocumented. In any case, HSM won't be getting any stronger than it already is, which is very, very strong by the way.
Why is there only one person in charge of implementin class balance? Not very smart allocation of staff.
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 55 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 52 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 52 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 50 Jedi Shadow Ikorath - Level 50 Sith Marauder Araxxo - Level 13 Powertech Tegldef -Level 36 Scoundrel

ArchangelLBC
04.01.2013 , 11:25 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by PerinnAybara View Post
I know I'm going to cry when 2.0 comes out and that my guildmates/former guildmates will never take me to rateds.

Of course they'll still take my assassin though. Not that I really want to play him.
Enjoy solo guarding! I know I will.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

SafeJungleFever
04.01.2013 , 11:29 PM | #203
Don't try to defend yourself Mr. Peckenpaugh, you thought you could get away with a subpar job on re-balancing and ignoring a class that has been hurting for a YEAR.

paowee
04.02.2013 , 01:47 AM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
If I can give a bit of feedback on this point, I think that small-scale, iterative class changes are a *really* good idea. As you say, class changes can be iterated forever, and the faster you see how the meta-game shifts in response to a change, the more rapidly you are able to move to balance things. Keeping the iteration cycle short also allows you to make smaller changes, which are psychologically more acceptable to the majority of the community than a single large-scale drop. Early in TOR's update cycle, class changes were expected nearly every patch and were nearly always comparatively minor in nature. I think this worked well, and I was sorry to see the development team move away from that cadence.

Regular, small tweaks to classes also gives the community confidence that the development team is being responsive to problems/complaints with class balance; a confidence that is (sadly) lacking at the moment. While I think the more level-headed in the community are aware that the development team is watching the forums and watching the state of the game, it is hardly a universal sentiment. Moving to more iterative class updates will help address this perceptual issue, since the community would no longer need to endure 3 months of silence on an issue which seems glaring before seeing a response.
Very well said!
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Rehneu
04.02.2013 , 11:28 AM | #205
Umm you quoted him directly. Did you not see the part where it says "subject to change"?

ArchangelLBC
04.02.2013 , 11:40 AM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Rehneu View Post
Umm you quoted him directly. Did you not see the part where it says "subject to change"?

History has borne out that any changes they don't explicitly announce won't happen. They rarely reverse a decision once made, at least not for months and months (hi2u bubble stuns).
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

GeckoOBac
04.02.2013 , 11:43 AM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
History has borne out that any changes they don't explicitly announce won't happen. They rarely reverse a decision once made, at least not for months and months (hi2u bubble stuns).
Unfortunately have to agree here. "Subject to change"... We've been waiting about a year for a "change". It took an expansion to even see any significant class change, and it still failed to solve any of the issues the class had (and possibly adding one or two in the process)
Light Knights: Gecko - Syed - Vor'sann - Joya
Nightmare's Legion: Anhess - Avilus - Wittard - Schroedinger

Jay_Stocker
04.02.2013 , 05:54 PM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
The dev strategy appears to be to buff snipers like crazy in order to have them be a counter to Smash Monkeys. And then stealth dps are the counter to snipers. Rocker, paper, scissors for the dps classes as it were.
They need to play Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock to at least give us a chance.

cashogy_reborn
04.02.2013 , 08:42 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay_Stocker View Post
They need to play Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock to at least give us a chance.
ahahahahaha
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

PerinnAybara
04.03.2013 , 08:06 AM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by Rehneu View Post
The only subject to change part happened with rated warzones :P

Other than that, nothing ever changes.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five