Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do merc think about the 2.0 changes for pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
What do merc think about the 2.0 changes for pvp

MarkXXIV
03.26.2013 , 07:20 AM | #1
Quote: Originally Posted by APeckenpaugh

I definitely have a team that supports me, brainstorms with me, and tests with me, but I do all of the design, implementation, and balance for all of the classes by myself. It is a daunting task.

The following changes are going out in 2.0 and won't be making it onto PTS.

Bounty Hunter
Mercenary
-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Arsenal:
-Tracer Missile: The Heat Signature applied by Tracer Missile now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Heat Signature effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.
-Heatseeker Missiles: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Heat Signature. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Heat Signature effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Tracer Missile.
-Light 'Em Up: No longer affects Heat Signatures applied by Tracer Missile.

Trooper
Commando
-Electro Net: This ability now applies its effects instantly instead of waiting for a projectile to finish traveling.

Gunnery:
-Grav Round: The Gravity Vortex applied by Grav Round now lasts 45 seconds. In addition, the Gravity Vortex effect now reduces armor by 20% and no longer stacks. Furthermore, this ability now fires a faster-moving projectile.
-Demolition Round: This ability now deals 25% additional damage if the target is affected by your Gravity Vortex. In addition, this ability now fires a slightly slower-moving projectile, ensuring that the Gravity Vortex effect-checking will work properly if fired off immediately after a Grav Round.
-Gravity Surge: No longer affects Gravity Vortices applied by Grav Round.

Will merc be able to get a ranked pvp team in dps spec after this, do you guys think these changes will make merc alot better?

Transcendent
03.26.2013 , 12:05 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkXXIV View Post
Will merc be able to get a ranked pvp team in dps spec after this, do you guys think these changes will make merc alot better?
In a word, no. Those changes are not the real issue, the ability to remain ranged is a very real issue though that remains unresolved. The cd on determination is too high, and you tend to get locked down pretty fast with stuns. Jet boost is equally useless as it only slows your enemy 50% for 1 second (and lets face it you're not going to get far enough away to avoid a melee hitting you or jumping on you.

Add into that opponents that are bubbled and you're screwed, your other defence Energy Shield negates nothing in comparison to Static Barrier / Force Armour.

So all of your dps is for nothing, you rarely get a chance to use it. Why anyone would use it in PvP is a mystery to me (healer maybe, but there are better options).

WaldoA
03.26.2013 , 12:12 PM | #3
Commandos/Mercs got a great buff with 2.0.

For those who intend to keep getting slaughtered in warzones, by all means continue to cry for a buff. You're doing the exact same thing the Sorc/Sage community done (including me) by asking for a buff all the time and saying you're class is garbage, other people notice it and think you're an easy target because of it.

You then die easily because everyone thinks your an easy target and goes for you all the time.

justmy2c

MarkXXIV
03.26.2013 , 01:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by WaldoA View Post
Commandos/Mercs got a great buff with 2.0.

For those who intend to keep getting slaughtered in warzones, by all means continue to cry for a buff. You're doing the exact same thing the Sorc/Sage community done (including me) by asking for a buff all the time and saying you're class is garbage, other people notice it and think you're an easy target because of it.

You then die easily because everyone thinks your an easy target and goes for you all the time.

justmy2c
yeah except sorc is pretty good and has alot of utility. Both dps lightning and madness trees need work but not as bad as merc, also sorc has a great healing tree. sorc can pvp ranked with their healing tree at least but merc has nothing.

Macroeconomics
03.27.2013 , 11:06 AM | #5
Arsenal got some good buffs. Merc Pyro got nerfed to hell. How this masquerades as a good set of changes is baffling to me. But that's what happened.

MarkXXIV
03.27.2013 , 12:42 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Arsenal got some good buffs. Merc Pyro got nerfed to hell. How this masquerades as a good set of changes is baffling to me. But that's what happened.
yeah im very dissapointed but I expected this, I am having a ton of fun on my sniper.

mandoforlife
03.27.2013 , 09:59 PM | #7
Is it a nice buff? Yes.
Will it get us into ranked? Probably not.

I'd say this buff is a step in the right direction, but the problem of interrupt vulnerability and lack of mobility still remains, and that's what is going to keep us out of ranked. Having Tracer Missile apply the full armor debuff, thus the damage buff to HSM, just makes us a bit more bursty at the beginning of our rotation, but we still have to rely on TM for Barrage and to get our increased Rail Shot damage. Cashology's suggestion on reducing the CD on Power Surge and Thermal Sensor Overrides would be a great help with the issues of mobility and interrupt vulnerability, along with the new found heat issues some mercs are experiencing.

And like someone above me said, Pyrotech got nerfed to hell, making it lose all its burst, which any good PvPer knows is crucial. I just... I'm irritated with what was done to Pyro. It was obviously done more for Powertechs, but again the devs swung the nerf bat at PTs, but let it fly out of their hands and hit Mercs in the crotch. So basically, Arsenal will be the better PvP spec in 2.0 due to its burst advantage over Pyro, whereas currently in 1.7 Pyro is superior for PvP due to mobility and ramped up burst.
Vamark Skirata 55 Mercenary <Meet Killface>
Sirsuitntie Sorcerer - Jatne Operative - Zaavar Assassin - Alsaire Marauder
The Bastion

Phrase
03.28.2013 , 06:19 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Merc Pyro got nerfed to hell. How this masquerades as a good set of changes is baffling to me. But that's what happened.
It's due to all of the bads crying out, "Nerf Pyrotech," when they meant "Nerf Powertech Pyrotech."

Sixgun
The Bastion

HexDecimalUK
03.30.2013 , 11:05 AM | #9
Nope, the buffs fix mercs as they exist currently but against what the other classes are getting? will have no chance in a real rated team, this is because still they serve no purpose in the game, they are not turrets since snipers have more immunity's and defenses, they are not moving casters again snipers have more mobility and sorcs have more CC to kite with, they aren't even ranged 1v1 fighters because as soon as they get looked upon they are shut down instantly, eventually the class has no reason to be in the game and offers nothing to a team except a few AOEs i love playing my own merc simply because it was my first class but when im on my jug or sorc i wouldn't even have it for a companion and my merc is in more than half elite augmented.

Realy i dont know what BW intend the merc to be its as if they just ran out of ideas for a class and said OK lets make a ranged mara squishy out and out DPSer but it just doesnt work that way.

Maybe if mercs had a stealth ability or instead of that shield an immunity like sins and maras have they would be good my suggestion give them what the HK has a back hand and jump back 25 meters to hit from rang that or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xFReVNhmA
<RISK>
Hex'DecimalUK-Pyro HexDesecrate-Lightning Shatterclipse-VG/Immortal
Hex'DecímalUK-concealment HexDecimus-Madness Blaster'Chief-AP

soldierofheaven
04.01.2013 , 02:14 AM | #10
If merc arsenal had interrupt immunity it would solve the problem. Maybe give them a stance they can activate, like a cylinder, that gives them interrupt immunity. I love my merc but being mediocre in pvp all the time just gets me down. It