Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper Vs merc?

Flintfire
03.18.2013 , 02:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
I tried to like the snipers but i just cant....the whole concept of a ranged dps is to be fluid....and the cover mechanic just plain ol sucks...it makes the class so mechanical....and rigid
Trust me, as a lvl 50 merc, we are a pretty stationary class if you use certain trees. If you go pyrotech, fine, but if you choose arsenal, you will be standing there just like a sniper cept you got no cover.
Infyrno Lvl 60 Infyrnus Lvl 60
Leiptr Lvl 60 Venaticus Lvl 60
Slaughtor Lvl 60 Evisceran Lvl 60
Sleipe Lvl 60 Desolus Lvl 60

GM of Oblivion

Stressfire
03.27.2013 , 03:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Flintfire View Post
Trust me, as a lvl 50 merc, we are a pretty stationary class if you use certain trees. If you go pyrotech, fine, but if you choose arsenal, you will be standing there just like a sniper cept you got no cover.
Very true - both are pretty stationary. Sniper due to cover, Merc (Arsenal) due to need to channel.

I have and play both - just to keep things interesting I do mix it up a bit at times and run to melee range for a Rocket Punch or Shiv finisher.

I hear tell that the Engineering Sniper is a bit more mobile and hybrids a bit more so.

steave
03.29.2013 , 08:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
I tried to like the snipers but i just cant....the whole concept of a ranged dps is to be fluid....and the cover mechanic just plain ol sucks...it makes the class so mechanical....and rigid
As others have mentioned, Mercs are stationary despite not needing cover due to almost everything having a cast timer. Infact, my sniper (marksman) feels much more mobile than my merc (arsenal, which you should use for PVE) since the sniper can proc an instant snipe anytime he wants and have followtrough and takedown available on relatively short CDs (and explosive probe on a much longer one) while the merc only has heatseeker missiles and railshot, both of which needs to be used as soon as they come of CD while the sniper is a bit more flexible in that regard.
Basically, a merc that is forced to move has to resort to his basic attack unless he's lucky and HSM or RS just came off CD - a sniper that is forced to move enters cover again for a split second before doing so and does an instant snipe, gets back up and uses followtrough/takedown on the next GCD(s), or if explosive probe is off CD, gets back in cover just long enough to throw one out before he can keep moving. The sniper armor debuff is also isntant, so he can take the chance to renew that while moving if needed too.

The cover really doesn't change anything for the mobility, you simply press your "take cover in place" key right before you start casting, it doesn't cost you any time at all - the only disadvantage is needing an extra hotkey. If you want to PVP, that's also what makes snipers viable while mercs aren't, the cover makes them immune to gap closers and interupts, entrench adds immunity to knockbacks and stuns (removing the last 2 ways available to stop your casts, other than an another sniper/gunslinger using their "force out of cover" ability from marksman tree) and you have plenty of roots and knockbacks to keep people from running up to you.

Letsjet
05.07.2013 , 03:22 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by yoomazir View Post
Mercs also have an armor penetration debuff for the team.
so do snipers. its 20% and in our rotation
"I see you have constructed a new light saber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful as the Emperor has foreseen."

Cary
05.11.2013 , 05:33 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Letsjet View Post
so do snipers. its 20% and in our rotation
Its a waste of a GCD if u got a jugg tank though. I use it if there is a sin or PT tank and always use it in pvp.
AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 @ 4GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 670 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1800MHz | Asus Crosshair V 990FX | Samsung 22" LED HDMI @ 1920x1080 | Antec 1200 Gaming Case | Corsair Professional Gold AX1200 PSU

Roxas_kun
05.25.2013 , 06:24 AM | #16
Thus far, I have to say Sniper > Merc.

In my opinion, sniper can put out damage faster and hit harder than a merc. Sniper skills are synergistic, feeding off one another. Merc dps leaves a lot to be desired...

And I have yet to unlock HSM...

Very painful to lvl my merc, compared to my sniper.

Gyronamics
05.29.2013 , 04:30 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Roxas_kun View Post
Thus far, I have to say Sniper > Merc.

In my opinion, sniper can put out damage faster and hit harder than a merc. Sniper skills are synergistic, feeding off one another. Merc dps leaves a lot to be desired...

And I have yet to unlock HSM...

Very painful to lvl my merc, compared to my sniper.
You're making judgement on a class when you have not unlocked the big hitter which provides the massive burst you don't think you have.

At 55 if both Tracer and HSM crit you're looking at 15k almost at once.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Slicksteezin
05.30.2013 , 12:31 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
You're making judgement on a class when you have not unlocked the big hitter which provides the massive burst you don't think you have.

At 55 if both Tracer and HSM crit you're looking at 15k almost at once.
This. Merc got a substantially big in 2.0, which i think many don't realize. I would still say in terms of sustained DPS and parsing, sniper does more damage. 2.0 however completely changed my playstyle for merc. The class (arsenal spec) can dish out huge burst + AOE DPS if needed and stay moderately mobile. I think it really is just comes down to knowing how to manage your heat management.
Gallasiso - Arsenal merc
Frimen - Sorc heals
Harbinger server

Here in SWTOR, everything seems to break. Except the Cartel Market.

ToMyMa
06.06.2013 , 03:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Cover takes a while to get used to, but once you get there its awesome. I have also yet to play a Merc so I might have missed some things about the class. Also worth noting, of the 4 classes I've maxed, Agent has by far the coolest story, especially when comparing the Act 1s.

Things to consider for the Sniper:
- Party shield
- Instant 20% armour debuff, last 45 seconds (other classes can do it too, but ours is instant and lasts longer)
- Better defensive CDs
- Entrench stops you being stunned/pulled/leaped to (great in PvP and for Kephess)
- Uninterruptable and +20% ranged Defence in Cover
- 3 exceptional DPS trees for both PvE and PvP.

Things to consider for the Merc:
- Can off-heal and has no CD on res
- Heavy armour
Heavy armour isn't all that great... Would change that for a defensive cd at all time...
Tanvir
Tier 1 commando Season 1 through 4
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Atramar
06.24.2013 , 04:07 AM | #20
plus merc has 30 sec cd on light version of Entrech (good enouth for most encounters, and entreh is ignored by some mechanics- false emperor for example), but missing roll (but again, BH/Trooper version works on already in roots like Cademinu while roll does not clear roots).
both have ups and downs, I love both (I actually preffer my commando with less buttons to do well- so relaxed game play-, but for harder content - or crappy team - I find sniper more FUN and effective)
sometimes that 35 meter instead of 30 is blessing tho.
Both hit hard, both are good.

my advice, do both and find your game style. cover doesnt fit every one (it's not an offense).
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013