Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

good pvp dps build?

Kindran
03.26.2013 , 06:16 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
I think people tend to over-state the gap between classes/specs. I run a lot of warzones, and Sorcs and Sages don't seem gimped to me. I see lots of Sorcs and Sages topping damage charts and generally doing well in warzones. I don't have access to Bioware's metrics, but if Sorcs and Sages are so underpowered, I think it would be more noticeable.
It's not that we are underpowered by a lot. It's just that we get eaten alive by knights/warriors, PT/vanguard, and sin/shadow. Topping the damage charts is easy enough with tab dotting, but that does nothing to help your team. What truly matters is a combination of everything, except in hutball. If your team just won hutball in around 5min I can guarentee you the other team did more dmg by a long shot.

Besides hutball, you need a combination of damage, healing, protection, kills, and objective points. If you are very high in just one of those then you are ignoring everything else and harming your team. You can do all the damage in the world, but it means nothing if it doesn't lead to quick and decisive kills. You can spam heal your heart out, but it means nothing unless you are actually keeping your team alive. etc, etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death's demise shall arise when Life's creation nullifies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kindran <Carnage Gaming> (The Shadowlands)

TwitchWINs
03.27.2013 , 09:41 AM | #22
there is 1 spec that should be used on sorc in 2.0 as the patch notes are now. Lightning is the only reasonable spec you would take over a sniper because it can burst for 13-16k in a global if you dont have that burst...any class almost can do just about as much sustain damage and pvp is not about that its about coordinated burst.
Bestworld - The Bastion
<Hey im pooping>
http://www.swtormovies.com/movieview.php?id=3751

SoonerJBD
03.27.2013 , 10:47 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindran View Post
It's not that we are underpowered by a lot. It's just that we get eaten alive by knights/warriors, PT/vanguard, and sin/shadow. Topping the damage charts is easy enough with tab dotting, but that does nothing to help your team. What truly matters is a combination of everything, except in hutball. If your team just won hutball in around 5min I can guarentee you the other team did more dmg by a long shot.
Tab dotting absolutely helps your team in many situations. If you are defending or attacking a node in a large group, tab dotting helps your team tremendously, especially if you are hitting people with Death Field and deathmarking them. It's a lot easier to focus people down when they have a couple of dots on them. Dot damage counts like any other.

Obviously, ignoring objectives to pad damage stats isn't wise, but I've always found you get the most damage when you are actually playing for objectives, with the exception of Huttball at times.

As for specific matchups, I don't personally have much trouble with knights and warriors. Powertechs/Vanguards are the class that I tend to struggle against the most.

AdmiralParmesan
03.28.2013 , 01:30 PM | #24
Yeah if this game was 1v1 only then you should only lose to assassins hybrids, extremely exceptional concealment operatives, and the occasional well geared powertech.

Assuming you are playing full madness you can even beat a sniper without los if you play it right. Even with superior range a sniper can be kited. When I'm playing a good sniper I dot them up and as soon as I see entrench I force speed away out of their 35 meter range and heal up. You cannot beat a sniper with entrech up and you cannot beat a good sniper's damage, but you make them waste entrench it if they chase after you to stop you from healing.

Regardless I hope some more changes in 2.0 help resolve some of full madness's problems. It is a fun spec, but lightning strike needs to be better for it to be an effective wrath option choice. As well full madness still needs a more reliable force regeneration mechanic and preferably to get its instant whirlwind back.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

AdmiralParmesan
03.28.2013 , 01:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
Tab dotting absolutely helps your team in many situations. If you are defending or attacking a node in a large group, tab dotting helps your team tremendously, especially if you are hitting people with Death Field and deathmarking them. It's a lot easier to focus people down when they have a couple of dots on them. Dot damage counts like any other.

Obviously, ignoring objectives to pad damage stats isn't wise, but I've always found you get the most damage when you are actually playing for objectives, with the exception of Huttball at times.

As for specific matchups, I don't personally have much trouble with knights and warriors. Powertechs/Vanguards are the class that I tend to struggle against the most.
I both agree and disagree with tab dotting, it comes down to the group you are running with though. By all means tab dotting does create pressure as well as side benefits. In full lightning I use tab dotting a little so I can switch to any target use thundering blast without the need for setup, and for hybrid dps and full lightning tab dotting can help you get your lightning barrage proc ever 10 seconds. Even in full madness tab dotting not only creates pressure but it helps your survivability through parasitism.

Even with this in mind, tab dotting the wrong targets can have bad side effects. More organized groups try to CC various targets in warzones. If you are fighting a skilled organized group, damage alone will not win you the game. Dots will obviously break most longer duration CCs and so it is important to recognize when Dot tabbing is and isn't a good idea.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

SoonerJBD
03.28.2013 , 03:28 PM | #26
Obviously, if you are trying to capture a node and the group is using AOE mezzes and stuns to buy time for a cap, that is absolutely the wrong time to tab dot. Everything is situational. But used effectively, tab-dotting is a great weapon for applying group pressure, especially if you combine it with AOEs.

One of the things I like about Madness is that I can stand at range during a group engagement and apply dots and death field and usually no one even notices I'm there until I start using force lightning. By then, I often have three people deathmarked, all of them dotted with affliction and two of them dotted with creeping terror. Makes it a lot easier to burn people down.

It's even better on my Sage, where the animation for TK Throw draws less attention than lightning.

dacentabaal
01.27.2014 , 12:17 PM | #27
I go full Expertise on my Sorc and as for DPS trees I switch between 2
Lightning/Madness Hybrid
and
Lightning
People will say points could go else where, but for me it does its job and kicks out dps
Tamworth - England (I don't like or drink Tea)
The Progenitor RP English Server
CE Owner
Friend Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

Vaerah
02.01.2014 , 09:46 AM | #28
I don't like the lack of backlash in the hybrid build.
Vaerah Shadow | Arayah Vanguard | Kainessa Gunslinger | ToFN server.
Vaerahn Sorceress | Vaerahm Marauder | ToFN server.

Mercediz
02.05.2014 , 09:23 PM | #29
These are my builds

This is my main PVP build. I like this build for a number of reasons, you can move a few points around for the crit. You will never run out of force with this build, making needed off healing easier to use IMO. You have to really watch your procs with this, but if you can line them all up its amazing burst. This is a really proc based build, leading into more procs on top of more.. .I also like the burst with Chaos nexus ( giving you the option to stand and cast), as well as getting lighting barrage, I can almost always burst down a healer with free casting. This build allows for amazing single target as well as AOE, force storm into chain lighting into a death field. Another advantage is the mobility, as sorcs need all the help they can get staying alive. I would encourage people to try this, as it does take some time to get use to. I have tons of fun playing this build, and have only shared it with a few people.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rcRMZcMcRs0z.3

This is my fun I don't die 1v1 build. This is a force draining MOFO, if you can get some good LOS in you can use force surge to help. its a Slower more patient 1v1 build. I have only lost 3 1v1's with this. I have done a number of 1v2 and 1v3.... If you're an LOS king and a dot and wait guy, you can do wonders. Just wait for a wrath proc and dot and hide. You have to be able to play like a ****, and kite and wait for other classes to burn CD's.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rMZbZcMcRs0z.3