Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
03.27.2013 , 07:23 PM | #1091
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
HK-51, Companion stuff, Convenience stuff, Travel etc
Not tradeable on the GTN
While this is true, the fact is that is only legacy stuff.

If there is no way to sell this on the GTN, then I do agree that they made a mistake.

Now that we've really narrowed down what the source of our difference in opinion is, all we can do is wait and hope they didn't make a bad decision. My general experience with Bioware has been that there is some kind of logic behind what they do, even if most cannot see it. I'm not seeing much logic behind it being only purchasabe via cartel coins. Let's hope they didn't do it.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.27.2013 , 07:39 PM | #1092
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
...

My general experience with Bioware has been that there is some kind of logic behind what they do, even if most cannot see it.

...
Can you explain to me (in your general experience), the logic behind offering expensive Grade 7 ship schematics (and by expensive I mean requiring a LOT of hours of grinding to get the comms necessary to buy said schematics), followed by requiring expensive materials, followed by Selling Grade 7 Ship Parts on the GTN.

How many Cybertechs, excited after reading Dulfy's article on crafting Spaceship parts, ground up (grinded?) (engaged in grinding?) the huge number of comms necessary to buy a full set of schematics the moment 1.6 dropped? Only to discover they couldn't even craft these parts at a loss?

Also, can you explain the logic behind (after an outcry), Bioware decided to make no changes whatsoever to the situation? Such changes which could possibly have included (but not limited to):

1. Lowering the cost to obtain the Grade 7 schematics.
2. Lowering the cost of the materials to make the parts.
3. Removing the Grade 7 parts from the CM completely.
4. Raising the Cartel Coin price of the Grade 7 parts.

I have a theory that would explain the "logic" behind these actions. Would you like to hear it?

An executive "suit" at EA thought they could make more money by selling the Grade 7 parts in the Cartel Market with no regard to how this might impact players that like to craft.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
03.27.2013 , 07:52 PM | #1093
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
So, you're basically using the 'I know you are, but what am I?' defense? Spectacular.

And good. Embrace your hatred, it makes you powerful. And amusing.

I'll be buying a Hypercrate in your name later tonight.
I feel bad about you donating to the wallet-eating zombie menace in my name.

How much is your employee discount though? I'm not sure how bad I should feel.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
03.27.2013 , 08:03 PM | #1094
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Can you explain to me (in your general experience), the logic behind offering expensive Grade 7 ship schematics (and by expensive I mean requiring a LOT of hours of grinding to get the comms necessary to buy said schematics), followed by requiring expensive materials, followed by Selling Grade 7 Ship Parts on the GTN.

How many Cybertechs, excited after reading Dulfy's article on crafting Spaceship parts, ground up (grinded?) (engaged in grinding?) the huge number of comms necessary to buy a full set of schematics the moment 1.6 dropped? Only to discover they couldn't even craft these parts at a loss?

Also, can you explain the logic behind (after an outcry), Bioware decided to make no changes whatsoever to the situation? Such changes which could possibly have included (but not limited to):

1. Lowering the cost to obtain the Grade 7 schematics.
2. Lowering the cost of the materials to make the parts.
3. Removing the Grade 7 parts from the CM completely.
4. Raising the Cartel Coin price of the Grade 7 parts.

I have a theory that would explain the "logic" behind these actions. Would you like to hear it?

An executive "suit" at EA thought they could make more money by selling the Grade 7 parts in the Cartel Market with no regard to how this might impact players that like to craft.
It's the same logic that they used to respond to complaints about armor sets being too expensive by raising the price on them by 20% and making them empty shells instead of being full of purple mods.

idnewton's Avatar


idnewton
03.27.2013 , 08:20 PM | #1095
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Can you explain to me (in your general experience), the logic behind offering expensive Grade 7 ship schematics (and by expensive I mean requiring a LOT of hours of grinding to get the comms necessary to buy said schematics), followed by requiring expensive materials, followed by Selling Grade 7 Ship Parts on the GTN.

How many Cybertechs, excited after reading Dulfy's article on crafting Spaceship parts, ground up (grinded?) (engaged in grinding?) the huge number of comms necessary to buy a full set of schematics the moment 1.6 dropped? Only to discover they couldn't even craft these parts at a loss?

Also, can you explain the logic behind (after an outcry), Bioware decided to make no changes whatsoever to the situation? Such changes which could possibly have included (but not limited to):

1. Lowering the cost to obtain the Grade 7 schematics.
2. Lowering the cost of the materials to make the parts.
3. Removing the Grade 7 parts from the CM completely.
4. Raising the Cartel Coin price of the Grade 7 parts.

I have a theory that would explain the "logic" behind these actions. Would you like to hear it?

An executive "suit" at EA thought they could make more money by selling the Grade 7 parts in the Cartel Market with no regard to how this might impact players that like to craft.
While I did indirectly state that not every single Bioware action is entirely logical, yes I can explain the logic behind their actions in this situation.

They offered three ways of obtaining Grade 7 Spaceship gear:
  • Vendors
  • Cartel Market
  • Crafting
All three of these ways are rather expensive. The vendors have very high Fleet Commendation costs, moderate Daily Commendation and Credit cost. The full set of nine items from the Cartel Market costs somewhere around 1500 Cartel Coins if I remember correctly. The schematics for crafting not only require a large amount of Fleet Commendations, but also Stabilizers to craft. Thus, all three of these methods are somewhat balanced in that they are all expensive in some way or another. Some ways, though, are less likely than others. For example, you may happen to have many, many fleet comms stashed up. The vendors are the way to go then. The crafting method is more to acknowledge the crafters than give them an amazing new market. In the case that players no longer buy these items off of the Cartel Market and sell them on the GTN, crafters are a backup plan.

That's the implied forth way of getting these items: GTN. I do believe Bioware miscalcuated the value these items would settle at on the GTN (which, if I recall correctly, was incredibly cheap). The market wizards saw a giant opportunity and the price dropped like a stone.

All four of those changes you listed would simply cause more unrest. Lowering the cost would irritate the players who were dedicated to crafting and bought the schematic first. Lowering the materials would defeat the purpose of the craftability of these items, which were more of a backup plan to the Cartel Market anyways.
Removing the Grade 7 ship gear is an absurd idea, and sadly many forumers fail to realize that all content, even if it targets a small portion of the playerbase, is better in the game than not (unless it breaks something or negatively effects the players, market, etc). Raising the Cartel Coin cost of the ship parts would also be illogical. The players who buy the gear to use will be upset that they have to pay more, and the players who buy them off the CM to resell on the GTN have already made their profits. On top of that, if the costs were increased, accusations would be thrown around of Bioware 'milking' the players.


In conclusion, contrary to popular belief, Bioware is a whole lot more logical and for-the-players than people would like to believe. I admit that this is not the case 100% of the time, such as ignoring underperforming classes for multiple months, but considering the fact that your example was specifically chosen as a counter-argument to my statement, I think I did a pretty good job
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL 55s: 15 10/10 HM DREAD OPS
ETERNAL WARRIOR CONQUEROR OF THE DREAD FORTRESS
30/30 Dread Fortress PVP BEST IN SLOT 4/5 NiM DP

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
03.27.2013 , 08:42 PM | #1096
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
While I did indirectly state that not every single Bioware action is entirely logical, yes I can explain the logic behind their actions in this situation.

They offered three ways of obtaining Grade 7 Spaceship gear:
  • Vendors
  • Cartel Market
  • Crafting
All three of these ways are rather expensive.

...
I have to stop you right there. There is a fourth way of obtaining Grade 7 spaceship parts:

4. Bought on the GTN from players who spent cash in the Cartel Market, and are flipping it for in-game credits.

These players undercut the market to less than 20% the cost of the raw materials. I know of no crafter that stayed in the Grade 7 ship parts market after this. And I know of MANY that had been looking forward to adding these to their crafting repertoire prior to this point.

Do you realize it wasn't even worth it to craft parts for friends just for the materials. The friend could sell the 4 molecs it would take to make ONE part and use the money buy ALL SIX parts off the GTN.

Some developer spent time thinking about crafting Grade 7 spaceship parts. Schematics were made and priced. Material lists were worked out. Do you get it? Somebody actually spent time thinking this was a good idea to add to the game. These schematics were rendered irrelevant 15 minutes after 1.6 dropped.

Heck, the spaceship parts didn't even have a 36-hour resale lockout. Buy 'em, list 'em, bang!

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.27.2013 , 08:50 PM | #1097
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
HK-51, Companion stuff, Convenience stuff, Travel etc
Not tradeable on the GTN
So....all the stuff you can buy with credits except HK which is a quest? Seems like that's exactly what you want.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.27.2013 , 08:55 PM | #1098
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
So....all the stuff you can buy with credits except HK which is a quest? Seems like that's exactly what you want.
Yup, buying it with credits is exactly what I want... whats your point? o.O
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

DaRoamer's Avatar


DaRoamer
03.27.2013 , 08:57 PM | #1099
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Yup, buying it with credits is exactly what I want... whats your point? o.O
That the stuff that isn't also able to be purchased directly with credits is tradeable which means it will be on the GTN where you can buy it with credits making your entire complaint moot.

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
03.27.2013 , 09:02 PM | #1100
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
That the stuff that isn't also able to be purchased directly with credits is tradeable which means it will be on the GTN where you can buy it with credits making your entire complaint moot.
Wut? Ok, I cant make any sense of that
The stuff I mentioned is available for direct purchase with in-game creds but not for resale on the GTN. This is exactly how I would like this shop to be, an option between in-game creds and CC's
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi