Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear crafting is truly dead

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Gear crafting is truly dead

iamef
03.25.2013 , 06:01 PM | #41
Crafting is only dead if you specialize in crystals, speeders and BiS-only item modifications (2.0 change). I just got into crafting heavily, mostly to gear my own alts, but I have found success selling many, many mid level green, blue, and purple modification items (hint: advanced skill barrel does very well, with all those folks leveling snipers and drooling over thier 2.0 fotm-ness), stims, augments and kits, and yes, even orange moddable gear. I've sold recently, for instance, at least 10 marauder's boots at an average of 7k each with excess mats. I know, this is not making me rich in each sale, but when you sell a lot of items in the 5 to 20k price range it starts to add up.

I do have quite a few alts, with maxed crafting and gathering skills, and I do have the opportunity to farm a lot of mats to feed my more valuable crafting skills, but... The idea that crafting is dead it just isn't true imo.
--- Er'nesto / Er'nestoo / Nestero / Ėrnesto ---

WOOK -- The Shadowlands

asbalana
03.26.2013 , 09:14 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by iamef View Post
Crafting is only dead if you specialize in crystals, speeders and BiS-only item modifications (2.0 change). I just got into crafting heavily, mostly to gear my own alts, but I have found success selling many, many mid level green, blue, and purple modification items (hint: advanced skill barrel does very well, with all those folks leveling snipers and drooling over thier 2.0 fotm-ness), stims, augments and kits, and yes, even orange moddable gear. I've sold recently, for instance, at least 10 marauder's boots at an average of 7k each with excess mats. I know, this is not making me rich in each sale, but when you sell a lot of items in the 5 to 20k price range it starts to add up.

I do have quite a few alts, with maxed crafting and gathering skills, and I do have the opportunity to farm a lot of mats to feed my more valuable crafting skills, but... The idea that crafting is dead it just isn't true imo.
Interesting. With the cheap social and adaptive gear, I did not think that the low level oranges would still be selling that well. I have the silliest looking companions at 10 since they are all dressed in social gear which I replace with my own crafted oranges (or drops) as they progress.

You are right in that the 5 to 20k sales do add up, especially when the mats are cheap and easy to obtain so there is low overhead.

I will take a look at the barrels. My armstech crafts for my (and family's) companions and alts, and does very well with his gathering skills (bio and dip), but has not crafted anything for sale in a long time. I had a couple of extra vibroknives (beautiful purples) recently and could not give them away.

-Wes-
03.26.2013 , 02:49 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Vishnell View Post
I would like to thank you and all other crafters that put cheap blue level enhancements on the GTN. I regularly buy those up and resell them for over 15k a piece. Just have to know what enhancements sell and which ones don't.
That doesn't bother me one bit, Vishnell. I get what I need from them, others get them at a good price, and you play the game you prefer (I'd rather spend my time doing things other than scanning the GTN, but that's just me). If players are willing to pay inflated prices, then that's their problem, not yours.
\~~~~~The von Theissenburg Legacy~~~~~/

Holinyx
03.26.2013 , 04:50 PM | #44
most people only care about level 50 crafting and totally ignore 10-49. this is why some of us make millions of credits and why the rest start threads like this.
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

uniz
03.26.2013 , 05:35 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Holinyx View Post
most people only care about level 50 crafting and totally ignore 10-49. this is why some of us make millions of credits and why the rest start threads like this.
so true.

lower level mods, implants and earpieces sell well. so does other items too like some orange gear. you just have to price them right. also stay away from purples as greens and blue suffice for most while leveling alts.

Rincewend
03.26.2013 , 09:22 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Holinyx View Post
because they are looking to make it big on one or two sales, the 10-49 bracket is all about volume sales. Though I have found people putting things on the GTN far too below cost, buy them up and hold them until the price comes back up to above cost and feed them back into the market. The biggest markup I have right now, is anything to do with leveling a sniper. (ears, implants, skill armor, skill mods, and barrels) and augments in those ranges. when the new packs come out, I always watch that stuff too, cartel speeders were down to 2k each on shandowlands when people were trying to get the revan gear and new chairs. Now they are at 8k, nice profit.

nattodaisuki
03.27.2013 , 07:18 AM | #47
I might be one of the few people who plays the "Crafting" game 90% of the time while in this game
( since I've been playing since pre-launch and already leveled 10+ level 50's on both sides )

I've been making about a million credits per week on a constant basis since last summer crafting mid-level (late teens to late 30's) Purple Synthweave and Armormech Armors, Purple Armstech Weapons, Purple Biochem Implants, and Purple Augments from all three crafting skills.

All I craft and sell are Purples (maybe a few blues left over from a RE)

The Level 9 - 15 Purple Armors are mostly bought by Twinks for their toons who are starting PvP, but they don't sell that well and the profit margin is relatively small.

The level 20's - Mid 30's Purple Armors sell the best, and I would usually craft between 5-10 each of Light, Medium and Heavy - Bracers, Belts, Gloves, Boots, Chest, Legs, various weapons and Implants per day, and they usually sell out before they expire on the GTM.

I sell these anywhere between 12k-20k each (not too low and not too high) and the profit margin for these is around 10k-17k each, so that comes to about 200k-300k profit per day.
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.

asbalana
03.27.2013 , 08:55 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by nattodaisuki View Post
I might be one of the few people who plays the "Crafting" game 90% of the time while in this game
( since I've been playing since pre-launch and already leveled 10+ level 50's on both sides )

I've been making about a million credits per week on a constant basis since last summer crafting mid-level (late teens to late 30's) Purple Synthweave and Armormech Armors, Purple Armstech Weapons, Purple Biochem Implants, and Purple Augments from all three crafting skills.

All I craft and sell are Purples (maybe a few blues left over from a RE)

The Level 9 - 15 Purple Armors are mostly bought by Twinks for their toons who are starting PvP, but they don't sell that well and the profit margin is relatively small.

The level 20's - Mid 30's Purple Armors sell the best, and I would usually craft between 5-10 each of Light, Medium and Heavy - Bracers, Belts, Gloves, Boots, Chest, Legs, various weapons and Implants per day, and they usually sell out before they expire on the GTM.

I sell these anywhere between 12k-20k each (not too low and not too high) and the profit margin for these is around 10k-17k each, so that comes to about 200k-300k profit per day.
This thread has become really good in the sense that I find it fascinating to see other people's approach to the gtn and read what they are crafting and putting up for sale. Based on lamef's post above, I crafted and listed a number of blue barrels yesterday and it will be interesting to see if they sell.

I find your approach interesting because I can't remember the last time I tried to sell a purple gear piece and would think that with the adaptive and social moddable gear available (toss in the orange as well) that purple gear would not sell at all. Although far from my main focus, I do sell implants from time to time (keep your offerings diversified), but only the blues. I tend to stay away from the purples in anything for sale purposes because the mats are a choke point and the pricing differential between blues and purples is very large considering the stat differences (especially at the lower to mid levels) and the purps are not really needed. It is not clear to me who would be buying the 20 to 30 level purple gear.

Good on you, 2 to 3M a week in the under 27 market is an accompllishment and not chump change at all,

JamieKirby
03.27.2013 , 12:05 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by asbalana View Post
This thread has become really good in the sense that I find it fascinating to see other people's approach to the gtn and read what they are crafting and putting up for sale. Based on lamef's post above, I crafted and listed a number of blue barrels yesterday and it will be interesting to see if they sell.

I find your approach interesting because I can't remember the last time I tried to sell a purple gear piece and would think that with the adaptive and social moddable gear available (toss in the orange as well) that purple gear would not sell at all. Although far from my main focus, I do sell implants from time to time (keep your offerings diversified), but only the blues. I tend to stay away from the purples in anything for sale purposes because the mats are a choke point and the pricing differential between blues and purples is very large considering the stat differences (especially at the lower to mid levels) and the purps are not really needed. It is not clear to me who would be buying the 20 to 30 level purple gear.

Good on you, 2 to 3M a week in the under 27 market is an accompllishment and not chump change at all,
Well, i personally prefer the non-mod based gear because most of the time they tend to be more realistically priced, considering even if i paid 2k per piece of gear, i would still need to buy armorings, mods and enhancements and they tend to go for between 8k, right up to 25k each and that is just too much and this is like level 11 to level 15.

The mods department tends to be severely overpriced, though i tend to avoid buying purple crafted gear since you tend to change the gear very commonly, but it also depends on how much you charge for the gear, cause paying 30k for a piece of gear in the teen levels is just too much, unless it has uber stats that won't be replaced for 10+ levels.

MidichIorian
03.27.2013 , 05:23 PM | #50
It has probably been said already but Legacy killed non-mod crafting. It also killed the GTN balance in the sense that a truely new player can't afford to buy the things we took for granted back in Dec 2011 and the following 4 or so months. Is it reasonable that the only implants available at lvl 21 are purples and that a pair costs +50K (this happens)? That's not what the market looked like 14 months ago.
If i totally ignored legacy and the cash shop as sources of income on a new character I'd be forced to play every side mission on every planet to keep myself somewhat geared (moddable). I would not be able to do it through GTN.