Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Latest Developer Gaff, This Time with SGR in ROTHC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Latest Developer Gaff, This Time with SGR in ROTHC

DarkIntelligence's Avatar


DarkIntelligence
03.27.2013 , 04:45 PM | #1
Let me preface this by saying that I never really cared much for this feature, simply because I feel there are other much more important aspects of the game that are in desperate need of attention, but it was a fairly simply thing to implement and it seemed to make a lot of people happy so fine.

It almost seemed as though it would be impossible for BW to get this wrong, especially with their background of implementing similar features in their other games, but lo and behold, yet another gaff!

When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment. I mean the whole idea is so ridiculous it would be impossible to read it and not have a knee-jerk reaction. That being said, it is fairly obvious what the line of thinking behind this was i.e. if you want to experience both types of SGR you have to play both sides (pun intended, couldnít resist) . Again obvious, but wow what an awkward way to go about itÖ

The sheer hilarity of this aside, in of itself it really isnít that big of a deal. Unfortunately, it is emblematic of a much larger problem that has plagued this game since launch. That problem is that similar blunders, and many on a much more colossal scale, have occurred in just about every other aspect of the game with, perhaps, the individual class storylines as the sole exception. That, however, is little comfort as it becomes more and more evident that those storylines were a one-hit-wonder, likely never to be seen again. It is almost as though little or no thought at all is being put into making decisions about this game.

Now I fully understand that the people financing this industry are so afraid of losing a single dime that they have put the squeeze on developers, and the whole thing sickens me, truly, but that is no excuse of continuously making these idiotic decisions. Whatís worse this rampant poor decision making is leeching the lifeblood of the game: the players. How can you expect them to have faith in your product when you yourselves donít have enough of it to stand up for the right decisions?

Lastly let me say that I am writing this as a critique only in part, mostly I just want to finally see some sanity from the developers and have them finally tap into the full potential this game still has in spite of all the mud it has been dragged through.
The Dark Side of the Force is my only master, the search for power, my only quest.
___________________________________________ _______________________________________

BrianDavion's Avatar


BrianDavion
03.27.2013 , 04:54 PM | #2
do we know how many flirt options are on makeb period? that's kinda important info

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
03.27.2013 , 04:58 PM | #3
How do you know it is a gaff, per se?? Because you say so?

It is more likely a compromise of effort and resources vs time. They commited to SGR and need to include it. But they lacked the time and resources (vs the ROTHC release window) to do SGR equally on both factions. It's also uncharted waters for the MMO so it makes sense that this first release is just that... a first release to test and see how it works before investing heaviliy into it in future patches.

Anyone that has ever run large development projects would know the above statements by me make complete and practical sense in real world development.

AND ..... AND they said that future content would be more balanced between factions on SGR.

You = making mountain out of molehill IMO.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Arutar's Avatar


Arutar
03.27.2013 , 05:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkIntelligence View Post
When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment.
Could you provide a link?

Because I did not see anything like this on dulfy.

Otherwise you are simply lying or a troll (or both).

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
03.27.2013 , 05:03 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
Could you provide a link?

Because I did not see anything like this on dulfy.

Otherwise you are simply lying or a troll (or both).
No... he is not lying or trolling... he is just creating his own personal snowflurry when there was already an existing thread on this topic here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=615745

Why he needed his own thread ... I have no Idea. I guess so he could use the word "gaff".
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

ubermouth's Avatar


ubermouth
03.27.2013 , 05:04 PM | #6
Funny how you make a distinction between gay and lesbian.

Quote: Originally Posted by DarkIntelligence View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I never really cared much for this feature, simply because I feel there are other much more important aspects of the game that are in desperate need of attention, but it was a fairly simply thing to implement and it seemed to make a lot of people happy so fine.

It almost seemed as though it would be impossible for BW to get this wrong, especially with their background of implementing similar features in their other games, but lo and behold, yet another gaff!

When I first read on Dulfy, as I am sure many others did, what basically amounted to: the Empire gets the gay NPCs while the Republic has dibs on the lesbian ones, I had a face-palm moment. I mean the whole idea is so ridiculous it would be impossible to read it and not have a knee-jerk reaction. That being said, it is fairly obvious what the line of thinking behind this was i.e. if you want to experience both types of SGR you have to play both sides (pun intended, couldnít resist) . Again obvious, but wow what an awkward way to go about itÖ

The sheer hilarity of this aside, in of itself it really isnít that big of a deal. Unfortunately, it is emblematic of a much larger problem that has plagued this game since launch. That problem is that similar blunders, and many on a much more colossal scale, have occurred in just about every other aspect of the game with, perhaps, the individual class storylines as the sole exception. That, however, is little comfort as it becomes more and more evident that those storylines were a one-hit-wonder, likely never to be seen again. It is almost as though little or no thought at all is being put into making decisions about this game.

Now I fully understand that the people financing this industry are so afraid of losing a single dime that they have put the squeeze on developers, and the whole thing sickens me, truly, but that is no excuse of continuously making these idiotic decisions. Whatís worse this rampant poor decision making is leeching the lifeblood of the game: the players. How can you expect them to have faith in your product when you yourselves donít have enough of it to stand up for the right decisions?

Lastly let me say that I am writing this as a critique only in part, mostly I just want to finally see some sanity from the developers and have them finally tap into the full potential this game still has in spite of all the mud it has been dragged through.

Khayleth's Avatar


Khayleth
03.27.2013 , 05:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
Could you provide a link?

Because I did not see anything like this on dulfy.
http://dulfy.net/2013/03/26/swtor-ma...roids-preview/

Quote:
Makeb is also the first planet in SWTOR with same sex romance options with quest NPCs. Players can expect female to female flirt options on the Republic side and male to male flirt options on the Empire side for the Makeb storyline.. Empire players can also expect a small female to female flirt option in the Macrobinocular quest (Republic players may have a male to male to flirt option here as well).
Raid progression no one cares about. Unimpressive quote or one liner. Uninteresting guild name. List of characters with their level and class symbol.

Infernixx's Avatar


Infernixx
03.27.2013 , 05:07 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ubermouth View Post
Funny how you make a distinction between gay and lesbian.
Perceptive. 'Gay' has a negative connotation in society. 'Lesbian' does not.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

Arutar's Avatar


Arutar
03.27.2013 , 05:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Khayleth View Post
Thanks, though according to Dulfy there seems to be one main and a different minor flirt option for each side, so its not as strict as the op suggest.

Well, I guess: rage incomming nontheless.

Khayleth's Avatar


Khayleth
03.27.2013 , 05:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Arutar View Post
Thanks, though according to Dulfy there seems to be one main and a different minor flirt option for each side, so its not as strict as the op suggest.

Well, I guess: rage incomming nontheless.
Wait I found something else. Straight from Musco himself. http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...93#post6056993
Raid progression no one cares about. Unimpressive quote or one liner. Uninteresting guild name. List of characters with their level and class symbol.