Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Expansion

Jakesteelflex
03.27.2013 , 02:46 AM | #1
Will it be like WoW? With all the people going "The vanilla is better" Or will it be different?
It comes out on my birthday.

JPryde
03.27.2013 , 02:54 AM | #2
It will not have Orcs, Trolls, Undead, Taurs, Gnomes, Mages, Priests and no Pandas... and it will be fun to play.

Doesn't sound like WoW at all to me.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Jakesteelflex
03.27.2013 , 02:58 AM | #3
Good.

Pingonaut
03.27.2013 , 03:03 AM | #4
I've never played WoW so I can't speak on how good the expansion is. However, it seems to me that any game's expansion shouldn't have people saying "vanilla is better" since an expansion is just an update to vanilla. I don't really understand the logic behind that statement, for any game.

Machine-Elf
03.27.2013 , 03:10 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Pingonaut View Post
I've never played WoW so I can't speak on how good the expansion is. However, it seems to me that any game's expansion shouldn't have people saying "vanilla is better" since an expansion is just an update to vanilla. I don't really understand the logic behind that statement, for any game.
I think people say that in reference to WoW because, from my limited knowledge of that game, the expansions they released actually altered/improved lowbie content.

That's one of the few things BioWare could take away from Blizzard by the way. In my opinion low level content is more important to an MMO's continued health than end-game content.

Krewel
03.27.2013 , 03:11 AM | #6
Actually, comparing to WoW, ROTHC is hardly an expansion, more like a concrete content update. There aren't that many changes coming to the game, a couple of new abilities added to classes, some class balance, and basically more of the same - new operation, four flashpoints scaled to 55, a new levelling zone, etc.

There is, in fact, no reason one can adopt the mentality "vanilla was better" simply because ROTHC does not bring significant changes and additions to the core game. There's a reason why lots of people prefer to designate it as a DLC.
The prodigal son has returned ... some people are stuck with SWTOR, for better or worse.

Kognition - 55 Scoundrel

AlexDougherty
03.27.2013 , 04:39 AM | #7
We don't want it to be like WoW, we want it to be like KOTOR 1&2, only better. If people want WoW they should play it instead of trying to change other games into it. Please stop comparing games to WoW, Please.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Kubernetic
03.27.2013 , 06:08 AM | #8
I think if anything, 2.0 may be looked upon as "The Day The Game Got Much, Much Better", with the new bolster in 50+ PVP.

One of the most long-standing disparities in the game has now been mitigated to some extent, and can be tweaked to be perfect if they keep at it.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Tatile
03.27.2013 , 06:12 AM | #9
ROTHC is the ripple of raspberry sauce in your vanilla ice-cream. Still smooth and lovely, but with a hint of berry goodness if done well, or stodgy and sticky if you're buying the cheap stuff from Asda.

I'm personally hoping for a Carte D'or of deliciousness.

stockmks
03.27.2013 , 06:57 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
I think people say that in reference to WoW because, from my limited knowledge of that game, the expansions they released actually altered/improved lowbie content.

That's one of the few things BioWare could take away from Blizzard by the way. In my opinion low level content is more important to an MMO's continued health than end-game content.
Sadly no, the lowbie content was done in one particular expansion, which in my opinion broke the game. The extended level content was so poor as the compromise..

What people complain about is more the systems changes and making the once 'elite' content more and more accessible as time goes on. Its the focus on accessibility (which is tangibly against depth or complexity) that causes the complaints. As an example, in Panda they somehow managed to entirely remove the talent system (and somehow claim its still there.. but its not, its gone.) Secondary stats get nerfed every expansion somewhat consistently also (as in, they reduce the number/remove them from gear).

Just in case.. if you do decide to hop in wow, you'll find everything very very familiar. SWTOR blows it away in terms of quest delivery/production, but wow has a more cohesive world, and the gameplay is much much tigher (global cooldowns here take an eternity.. and wow's spells are tuned to match it being snappier).

Having said.. the classes here id say are more fun... But that's maybe because i was playing wow for too long and knew them all too well Also, the world of warcraft is MASSIVE in comparison, and there are only loading screens between continents.. effectively they're non existent in world gameplay.